Throckmorton - Abbott

Being played in Springtown this game will be a real treat for me. For those that live around the D/FW metromess this game is a rare opportunity to see high octane six man football without having to drive a hundred miles.

Last I saw a six man contest was the state semifinal between Strawn and Abbott some years ago. That was in Glen Rose. Glen Rose is an excellent location for the game but this one will sure be nice not to drive so far.

I know Abbott is the home of Wille Nelson :) . Does anyone know which team will have the home side? The last time I saw Throckmorton they played Trinidad at Glen Rose. I think that was Throckmorton's first year in six man after having been 1A for ages. Could have been thier second year. Those were some kind of crazy Throckmorton fans all painted up purple and silver I believe the school colors. I know one thing, Throckmorton had more kids on their roster than many 3A football squads I saw play that season.

Should be a good game. I always hope the mercy rule does not apply. Nothing worse than driving one hundred miles or more to see one half of football!

I'll be at this one and hope for another high octane display of Texas six man playoff football. I'll be honest, people can have their Cowboys and college football. It does not get any better than these six man playoff contests.

I was on that Throckmorton team in Trinidad that year, and we did not have 3A numbers. We had about 22 on our roster (hence the reason we couldn't stay in 11 man anymore). I had a chance to go watch Throckmorton play in Graham, and they did quite well. As long as the turnovers are minimized and they make key stops on defense they should win and advance. Good luck to the hounds!

^ Not to start a major fuss, that game between Throckmorton and Trinidad saw Trinidad suit up only thirteen players that night. Throckmorton had to have had more suited up than just nine more than Trinidad.

Incidentally, it is a schools enrollment numbers that determine eligibility for classification not the number of kids out for football. And I assume at that level of enrollment a school can choose to play either six man or 1A ball. I agree 22 kids is not a lot even for 1A. It seems to me you guys had thirty one suited up that night in Glen Rose against Trinidad. All I could make of it is Throckmorton is the kind of school nearly every boy goes out for football. I'm not sure on the enrollment requirements for six man play now but 99 seems about right back then.

22 players is probably marginal for 1A football. In 2003 I watched the Atlanta Rabbits win a 3A Div II title with only 34 suited up for a state title game. Those were below average numbers for 3A rosters.

Abbott home of Willie Nelson, Throckmorton home of Bob Lilly. We have discussed the game, now we can discuss which is more famous.

Back