3 Garden City ........... Lost
4 Valley .................... Lost
5 Follett .................... Lost
6 Ira ......................... Won
7 Aquilla ................... Won
8 Penelope ................ Lost
9 Sands ..................... Won
10 Walnut Springs ..... Won

4 losses in the Top Five ... 5 wins and 5 loses overall. How long has it been since that has happened? So much for scheduling ... makes a difference for sure. That many good teams going head to head.

So who rebounds ? Better check the schedules to see who has the toughest row to hoe....

Any guesses on what the Top Ten will look like next week ?? The movements by the "TOY" should be interesting to watch ....

Well, let's take a shot at it:

1. Throckmorton - although only a 3 point win, Valley was ranked #4
2. Ira - pretty impressive 45'er over Follett, who was ranked #5 (do we flip-flop #1 and #2?)
3. Aquila - yeah Coolidge was not even in the top 50, but a 22 point season opening win is impressive
4. Valley - just can't see dropping the #4 team for a 3 point loss to the then #2 team
5. Sands - 45'ed Lorenzo
6. Rankin - a 12 point victory over the #1 ranked team -- seems like the #14 team should rise higher
7. Walnut Springs - 20 points over Rising Star
8. Ropes - beat #22 Paducah by 25
9. Meadow - beat #17 Spur by 14
10. Garden City - don't know that there's that much difference in D1 and D2, and Motley County was ranked #4

Week Zero's Top Ten will do well in Week 1 ...

Borden County .... vs .... Jesus Chapel ---- poor JC
Throckmorton ..... vs .... Chillicothe ------ Throck marches on
Garden City ......... vs .... Sterling City ----- GC's very possible #2
Valley .................. vs .... Vernon Northside - See a 45'er here and the Pats are back on track
Follett ................. vs .... Groom --------- Follett will get back on winning track
Ira ....................... vs .... Knox City ------- Could be a test for Ira but should be a winner here
Aquilla ................ vs .... Calvert --------- Tough call • What happened to Calvert • Aquilla in a squeaker ?
Penelope ............. vs .... Kopperl -------- Penelope recovers here
Sands .................. vs .... Guthrie --------- Mustangs continue on their winning ways
Walnut Springs .. Open ---------------- Should be back to winning ways vs Bynum in Week 2

All of Week Zero's Top ten but one should be winners in week 1. Only real question ... GC. That target on their back is gonna get bigger every week.

Rankings the first 3 weeks should be a moving thing. And where will the upsets come to scramble them even more ??

Valley has Spur in Week 2 so that should be a test for both schools although Spur will be coming off the Crowell game. I think Valley gets on the winning track at Spur.

Preseason polls are generally like this at all levels. In HS, you often don't really know what your kids have until a few games in. Some of these teams needed the loss to wake up, and will be back near the top come November. Others will slide off the radar for good.

I guess someone from Valley should update Granger's schedule. It looks like Valley has two or three open dates.

I tried to update Valley's schedule, but I don't want to give out the coach's personal info without permission.

Aquilla ................ vs .... Calvert --------- Tough call • What happened to Calvert • Aquilla in a squeaker ?

A way underrated Strawn Greyhound football team. That's what happened to Calvert.

Aquilla-- Calvert in a squeaker? Come on JO, everbody knows a little old D2 team can't compete with a D1 team. Gaggggggggggggggggggggggggg. Sorry had trouble getting my tongue out of my cheek.

I'll take a stab at unshaking this: If you think Im way off, check back about mid-season!:)

Div. 1
1. Throckmorton
2. Valley
3. Ira
4. Water Valley
5. Grady
6. Rankin
7. Garden City
8. Borden County
9. Sands
10. Ropes

Div. 2
1. Richland Springs
nuff said--another ring

8/28/11 6:30 pm

I don't see Valley moving up 2 spots after a loss. Ira had the most impressive win among the top 5 teams, given the rankings at the time. Rankin shocked the world, though.

I think Throck will be no. 1, Ira no. 2, and Valley or Rankin 3 and 4. The rest of the top 10 is fairly irrelevant, IMO.

Borden County .... vs .... Jesus Chapel ----this will be ugly
Throckmorton ..... vs .... Chillicothe -------trock no problem
Garden City ......... vs .... Sterling City ----i look GC to bounce back they were on the way back in the last game
Valley .......... vs .... Vernon Northside ----valley easy game
Follett ................. vs .... Groom ----------follett will stomp groom
Ira .................. vs .... Knox City ----------ira wins easily get ready kc ( kc will have to hit hard and often to win this one)
Aquilla ................ vs .... Calvert ----------calvert
Penelope ............. vs .... Kopperl ---------penelope
Sands .................. vs .... Guthrie --------sands better lookout for this team

Rank School Record Rating Change
1 Throckmorton
2 Ira
3 Valley
4 Sands
5 Rankin
6 Borden County
7 Grady
8 Garden City
9 Ropes
10 Aspermont
11 Meadow

So Valley makes a two notch jump to #2 after a 3 point loss to Throckmorton. And the computer says that if they played the game again, Throck would be a 10 point favorite.

Gotta love the impersonal objectivity of The Toy.

I admit that I don't know who was out, injured or had a cold that day, but from just watching the games at Hico, of 10 teams, the worst two were Follet and Calvert. The top two were Throckmorton and Valley. If T & V played three times, I could see either winning 2. Valley seems to have a bit more team speed, Throckmorton maybe a bit more consistent in proper positioning. But both are well coached.

Back