Texas Commie Pinko School List (non-football)

Sissylue":6pdx55ry said:
(Oh and a lot of kids didn't want to apply because the counselors made it clear that if you get in the program you'll be doing some serious work - I was informed by one of my kid's friends that high school was for having a good time not for working your azz off.)
As much as I love football, high school is to educate and prepare kids for college & the real world. Any parent, teacher, or school that doesn't make the kids work hard is making a mistake. The kids will pay for that mistake the rest of their lives.

I would think they would get a pass as well. Sounds like they have an agenda that works. Sure the students are giving up some things, but it sounds as if they know ahead of time what they are giving up. And the reward is substantial.

Yeah I would give them a pass too if they make that kind of academic commitment. On the other hand I do think it might be a mistake not to have some sort of scheduled and mandatory physical activity ... even if its just speed-walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes a day. Out of my kid's "clique" she was the only one who put in an application ... and her little friend who informed me that high school was for having a good time was absolutely serious. Sometimes I despair as to what kind of kids we are turning out these days. I'm lucky - I live in a fine school district, but it doesn't matter how good the school district is if the kids (and their parents) won't take advantage.

Sissylue":3mkledrd said:
Yeah I would give them a pass too if they make that kind of academic commitment. On the other hand I do think it might be a mistake not to have some sort of scheduled and mandatory physical activity ... even if its just speed-walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes a day. Out of my kid's "clique" she was the only one who put in an application ... and her little friend who informed me that high school was for having a good time was absolutely serious. Sometimes I despair as to what kind of kids we are turning out these days. I'm lucky - I live in a fine school district, but it doesn't matter how good the school district is if the kids (and their parents) won't take advantage.

In San Antonio, the Northside ISD operates a Health Careers Academy and although they do not compete in team sports, I understand they do compete in some of the individual sports (golf, tennis, etc.) and in the past have been successful in the UIL 5A category (although enrollment is probably at best in the high 2A/low 3A numbers) in tennis. I'm certain that although the school (and other similiar schools) focus on the health and medical career training, there is instruction in other areas and physical education is part of that education.

saw the question from a few months back...

looks like Leveretts Chapel doesn't play basketball, but does play football. While it is considered commie-pinko to play basketball w/o football, you gotta think its un-American to not play basketball if you obviously have the numbers. Anyone know why they don't play the hoops? and if there are any others in this group?

Back