Testing the Toy

If you'll give me a few examples of teams you think may be off I can have a look and see if I can figure out why.
Not that they’re bad this year, but Austin Veritas and Waco Live Oak are traditionally powerhouses and both are having a “down” year. It just seems those teams inflate everything. I could be wrong and it could be very opinionated.

The “Toy” has me all kinds of confused today lol. Not that I care about Rankings at all to be honest but your telling me that Jonesboro jumps Westbrook with in my opinion their first big win of the year? Westbrook beat them and 3 other teams in this current top 10 and Jonesboro who Westbrook held to 18 points jumps all the way over them?? Someone is going to have to explain this thing better to me I guess haha. The highest ranked Team up to this point was Austin Hill country at 32. No disrespect but I need to be able to understand this better lol

The “Toy” has me all kinds of confused today lol. Not that I care about Rankings at all to be honest but your telling me that Jonesboro jumps Westbrook with in my opinion their first big win of the year? Westbrook beat them and 3 other teams in this current top 10 and Jonesboro who Westbrook held to 18 points jumps all the way over them?? Someone is going to have to explain this thing better to me I guess haha. The highest ranked Team up to this point was Austin Hill country at 32. No disrespect but I need to be able to understand this better lol
🤣🤣🤣

In TAPPS D3, Prestonwood North dropped to #8 after losing their first game of the year to drop to 8-1….2 spots behind 5-5 Nazarene Christian, who Prestonwood beat by 37 at their place. I know the toy can’t account for the circumstances behind WHY a team loses the way they do (like weather or illness), but even if the game was lost straight up, something doesn’t add up when an 8-1 team destroys a 5-5 team and is ranked behind them.

And not to mention, Irion County is too high in my opinion. They haven’t played anyone noteworthy all year and I just find it funny that they’ve jumped Rankin AND May in the rankings. I know Rankin didn’t cover anywhere near the spread against Borden County, but I’m looking at a common opponent in Buena Vista, who Rankin beat 56-6, and Irion County beat 80-60. Rankings don’t matter as much as playoffs, but I just find it funny how the toy determined this weeks rankings. I think that first round matchup between May and Irion County will be a cool matchup, but I think that May exposes Irion County.

I'm sure The Toy is just as confused as you. Westbrook beat Jonesboro. Jonesboro beat May. May beat Garden City. Garden City beat Westbrook. It's tough to put them in any order that makes sense. That said, recent games carry more weight.

It's also important to note that all these 4 teams are only separated by 14 points.

In TAPPS D3, Prestonwood North dropped to #8 after losing their first game of the year to drop to 8-1….2 spots behind 5-5 Nazarene Christian, who Prestonwood beat by 37 at their place. I know the toy can’t account for the circumstances behind WHY a team loses the way they do (like weather or illness), but even if the game was lost straight up, something doesn’t add up when an 8-1 team destroys a 5-5 team and is ranked behind them.

I think this one may be worth looking into. They jumped a little higher than they probably should have, but I'll have to dig in to know for sure. It could be because Joshua Christian wasn't ranked at all coming into this week so something funky may have happened with that.

But also, Prestwood got 45'd this week to Azle Christian, which is a team that Nazarene beat and, again, recent games carry more weight so it could be that. Like you said, The Toy can't take game circumstances into consideration. The only thing it considers are scores and team ratings.

And not to mention, Irion County is too high in my opinion. They haven’t played anyone noteworthy all year and I just find it funny that they’ve jumped Rankin AND May in the rankings. I know Rankin didn’t cover anywhere near the spread against Borden County, but I’m looking at a common opponent in Buena Vista, who Rankin beat 56-6, and Irion County beat 80-60. Rankings don’t matter as much as playoffs, but I just find it funny how the toy determined this weeks rankings. I think that first round matchup between May and Irion County will be a cool matchup, but I think that May exposes Irion County.

You nailed it here. They didn't cover the spread and they lost 5 rating points. Irion County gained 3 this week. That's an 8 point swing and, as close as those top teams are to each other, those few points can make a huge difference in their rankings. An argument could be made that Irion County is ranked too high but they beat #36 and handily beat #15 and they've 45'd every opponent since week 1. It'd be tough to explain why The Toy should have dropped their rating at any point so far this season.

From the Fence:

The Toy is gonna have its hands full and might need a drink, along with the rest of us after the Rankin/Garden City game this week. There's no telling what will happen to the rankings after that game depending on who wins, who loses, who covers the spread if there even is one and if one team upsets the other one......
Not to mention the toy has to take into account the curvature of the earth in regards to home field advantage divided by wind velocity and on what axis the international space station crosses over Antarctica at kick off time, multiplied by the amount of burgers sold at the concession stand in regards to the amount of ibuprofen the line judge took to help with his knee pain before the game. The Toy has alot to compute this week!!

But also, Prestwood got 45'd this week to Azle Christian, which is a team that Nazarene beat and, again, recent games carry more weight so it could be that. Like you said, The Toy can't take game circumstances into consideration. The only thing it considers are scores and team ratings.
Yeah....technically it was Prestonwood's varsity that got 45'd, but Prestonwood only had 3 healthy varsity starters (and one of those is a kicker only) suited up. 6 starters were out completely with the flu. 2 starters didn't practice all week because of the flu. 2 other starters started experiencing flu like symptoms during the game. A forfeit would have eliminated them from playoff consideration, so it was really mostly Prestonwood's JV that got 45'd. It's just a ranking and doesn't impact anything other than internet fodder. To win a championship, games have to be won on the field. I'm just pointing out that the rankings don't tell the whole story.

From the Fence:

The Toy is gonna have its hands full and might need a drink, along with the rest of us after the Rankin/Garden City game this week. There's no telling what will happen to the rankings after that game depending on who wins, who loses, who covers the spread if there even is one and if one team upsets the other one......
Not to mention the toy has to take into account the curvature of the earth in regards to home field advantage divided by wind velocity and on what axis the international space station crosses over Antarctica at kick off time, multiplied by the amount of burgers sold at the concession stand in regards to the amount of ibuprofen the line judge took to help with his knee pain before the game. The Toy has alot to compute this week!!
Funny! But you left out the fact that this is the week of Halloween with all those evil spirits around to boot!

Someone's using the F word on here again. Mike's fine with it, but I just had to make peace with that "F" word.

Camp Granawder "Fodder":

Hello Fadduh, hello Modduh,
Yall, what's this thing called,
"Internet Fodduh"?
If it don't madduh,
Then don't bodduh.
But how can it be so shameful,
If it's naduh?

Ok I'm done🤐

The toy got this right, but I see the same thing in other rankings. For instance, in D2, Dave Campbells had Rising Star at 9 and Bluff Dale at 10. Looking at common opponents, Rising Star lost to Sidney 50-44 and Bluff Dale beat Sidney 70-22. Rising Star lost to Sidney; Bluff Dale lost to arguably the best team in the state, in my opinion.

this made me chuckle

but I think like Mike said.. the points are so close that the "favorites" in the games are still basically a toss up
I think guys are taking the rankings way too seriously. In example, last year's two champions in December were NEVER ranked on top during any point in the season as well as the playoffs until the final poll. no one was arguing that Westbrook should be ranked #1 in D-1 with 4 losses, yet they stood supreme after a great championship game, a game that COULD have gone the other way had a pass been caught at the end. Had that happened the "Toy" would have been proven right. Had Motley County beaten Strawn the "Toy" again would be proven right. In both cases the lower ranked team pulled "upsets" to win the title. Those upsets are strictly on paper (print). Rankings are for fun only, a starting point, an educated guess. They are not the Bible. What happens on the field can't always be predicted. By the way, if you are a subscriber to DCTF those rankings were also wrong last year. Don't make more of the rankings than what they are.

Out of 59 public school games the toy went 51-8. Missing 4 scores right now. That's IF I put everything in correctly. Pretty good if you ask me
Here is the spreadsheet with the data...

Back