Testing the Toy

Wouldnā€™t it make sense to have the final ratings after the season then have a ā€œplayoffs ratingā€ list
Someone has suggested that already, and that's something we'll be looking into for next year.

Good ole Python (and whatever PHP is). Honestly I bet the entire algorithm could be written in Python
The algorithm is completely written in Python. I've re-written it in PHP to make it easier to tie into the site's database.

That's what the pre-season ratings are. Those are put in by me, currently. Last season I didn't change anything from the season before. This season, I kept 90% of the teams in the same order they were already in, but I moved a few up (overload) and down (underload) based on the information I had about those teams. For example, I moved Benjamin up (overload) to #1 because I thought with the kids they had, plus their move-ins, they would be a very dominant force. Once I had all the teams where I wanted them, in order, I multiplied them all by like 0.6, or something (I really don't remember), just to bring the numbers down (underload) and make the teams closer together because Granger told me that's what needed to be done. Finally, I made sure every team was above 60, again because Granger said it needed to be that way. As I pointed out in a few tests last year, though, the starting point means less and less as the season goes on. By the time playoffs are here, it wouldn't matter if a team started in last place, they'd still be pretty close to where they are regardless.
Mike I added to your quote (overload) / (underload), to show how I was using those words. It is where the Toys information was added to or subtracted from by human thoughts or feelings.

Mike I added to your quote (overload) / (underload), to show how I was using those words. It is where the Toys information was added to or subtracted from by human thoughts or feelings.
Ok, I gotcha. Yeah, that only happens at the beginning of each season when I put out the pre-season rankings. After that I simply feed it scores all season long and let The Toy do its thing. During my testing, human influence plays a huge factor early on but less and less as the season goes on.

Back