Testing the Toy

The real truth is May's strength of schedule, of course after the week 7 games, that strength of schedule advantage will be gone and Abbott will be back in the 1 hole.

I'm not sure I follow this logic, unless I'm missing something. May's remaining schedule is tougher than Abbott's remaining schedule.
I agree, I think the only way Abbott jumps back to #1 at this point in the year is with a May loss.

That being said there's always the possibility of a top 5 team winning out in a tough district and maybe sliding up to #1 but I think that could only happen in the Rankin/Garden City showdown last week of the season. But the teams above them in the rankings would have to lose for that leap to #1 to happen. I think...

Have you actually looked at May's next three games and where they are ranked? For sure Abbott's next game has a higher ranking. And Coolidge is ranked higher than any of May's next three games. And while we are on the subject, how did May jump over Abbott just based on this last weeks play?

1 For sure Abbott's next game is ranked much higher.

I agree, I think the only way Abbott jumps back to #1 at this point in the year is with a May loss.

That being said there's always the possibility of a top 5 team winning out in a tough district and maybe sliding up to #1 but I think that could only happen in the Rankin/Garden City showdown last week of the season. But the teams above them in the rankings would have to lose for that leap to #1 to happen. I think...
Not that it really matter but just out of curiosity, with the present rankings WB, Rankin & GC all 3 have much higher ranked opponents in their districts so I just wonder how much thing COULD change with BIG wins in those districts? Obviously the Rankin/GC game will have a big impact but just for arguments sake let’s say WB wins all of their district games by 45, or say GC wins all of theirs by 45 then beats Rankin by 10-20, how much would that effect their ranking points and a possible jump into the top 2? Not that any of it matters but I’m curious how much of an impact that could have with the top 5 teams within 15 points of each other.

Have you actually looked at May's next three games and where they are ranked? For sure Abbott's next game has a higher ranking. And Coolidge is ranked higher than any of May's next three games. And while we are on the subject, how did May jump over Abbott just based on this last weeks play?

Abbott hasn’t even faced a top 20 team
The real truth is May's strength of schedule, of course after the week 7 games, that strength of schedule advantage will be gone and Abbott will be back in the 1 hole.
you need to be featured on NFL’s C’MON MAN. Abbott hasn’t even faced a top 25 team nor will they until playoffs. You. An have the number one spot heck I tried to keep May out of it. But C’MON NAN your talking nonsense.

Not that it really matter but just out of curiosity, with the present rankings WB, Rankin & GC all 3 have much higher ranked opponents in their districts so I just wonder how much thing COULD change with BIG wins in those districts? Obviously the Rankin/GC game will have a big impact but just for arguments sake let’s say WB wins all of their district games by 45, or say GC wins all of theirs by 45 then beats Rankin by 10-20, how much would that effect their ranking points and a possible jump into the top 2? Not that any of it matters but I’m curious how much of an impact that could have with the top 5 teams within 15 points of each other.
Definitely something to think about. Like you said not that it really matters but it's fun to sit and think of all the possibilities that could happen over the next few weeks. Especially in the Top 10 and what would happen if say one of those top 5 were to lose a district game. Obviously Rankin or GC have to lose a district match up but what would happen if say BC snuck up and beat one of those teams. That would really shake things up.

Ok I do see your point on the next 3 games but did you look at all the prior games played. Abbott had one of the weakest regular season schedules for a top tier team. May's regular season schedule earned them that #1 spot after Westbrook lost. Abbott should have never been top 5 in my opinion due to their regular season schedule but they were put there because of last year's record and number of returning starters.

Abbott's 45'd everybody they've faced so far. 3 of them shut outs. None close. Who else can say that?
True statement but doesn't really count ( In My Opinion) when they don't play anyone ranked. Alot of teams in the West could do the same thing and pad their regular season record with wins against teams that aren't even in the top 50 or 100 but they don't.
To be the best, you have to beat the best and sometimes you take the loss against a top 10 opponent because of everything you learn in that game to make your team better.

And Just for the record Abbotts opponents average rank in the regular season is 87. That's counting the private school ranked #15. Take them out and opponent ranking goes to 101. So of course Abbott should be 45'ing teams like that and shutting teams out.

Last edited:
True statement but doesn't really count ( In My Opinion) when they don't play anyone ranked. Alot of teams in the West could do the same thing and pad their regular season record with wins against teams that aren't even in the top 50 or 100 but they don't.
To be the best, you have to beat the best and sometimes you take the loss against a top 10 opponent because of everything you learn in that game to make your team better.

And Just for the record Abbotts opponents average rank in the regular season is 87. That's counting the private school ranked #15. Take them out and opponent ranking goes to 101. So of course Abbott should be 45'ing teams like that and shutting teams out.
Abbott will not see a top tier team until playoffs. Once district starts then it is what is as far as team rankings go. We end district with another top ten team in Jonesboro. Iron sharpens iron. Abbott has been playing with silly putty. That ought to get em stirred up.

While this is true, both teams are picked to 45 their opponents. Assuming they both get that done, I don't see it making much difference for either team. That said, they are only about 1.5 points off so it certainly could happen that Abbott retakes the top spot.

Remember, the rankings are never based on what happened in one game, or during one week. They move based on all previous opponents too. As those previous opponents move up and down, so do the points those teams got for beating them. That's why you may sometimes see team's rating change even when they have a bye.

To answer your second question, without analyzing the data, I'm not sure what caused May to gain so many points this week. Just looking quickly at last week's rankings and this week's, I'd imagine it's because both Knox City and Garden City moved up and, since they're both top teams and May beat them both, it pushed May up just enough to jump Abbott.

While this is true, both teams are picked to 45 their opponents. Assuming they both get that done, I don't see it making much difference for either team. That said, they are only about 1.5 points off so it certainly could happen that Abbott retakes the top spot.

Remember, the rankings are never based on what happened in one game, or during one week. They move based on all previous opponents too. As those previous opponents move up and down, so do the points those teams got for beating them. That's why you may sometimes see team's rating change even when they have a bye.

To answer your second question, without analyzing the data, I'm not sure what caused May to gain so many points this week. Just looking quickly at last week's rankings and this week's, I'd imagine it's because both Knox City and Garden City moved up and, since they're both top teams and May beat them both, it pushed May up just enough to jump Abbott.
Well let Abbott have it. It’s perfectly fine with us.

Abbott schedule is bad lol ….. like real bad

To be fair, four of the teams they've already played this season were playoff teams last year. Also, Fort Worth Covenant was a powerhouse last year, only losing to RS and Strawn, in pretty close games. I don't think they intended on having a weaker schedule.
I never said they intended for it to be that way. Just simply saying that’s how it is compared to mays

Back