TAPPS State Basketball -- March 2/3 @ Mansfield/Ft Worth

freeagent

Six-man pro
Congrats to the following sixman schools making it to the TAPPS State Basketball Tournament at the Mansfield HS and Ft Worth Nolan Catholic this weekend (sixman schools in bold):

1A Boys at Ft Worth Nolan: Plainview Christian vs San Antonio Gateway Christian; Boerne Geneva vs Orange Community Christian

1A Girls at Ft Worth Nolan: Granbury Happy Hill vs San Antonio River City Believers; Boerne Geneva vs Spring Providence Classical

2A Boys at Mansfield (finals at Legacy): Abilene Christian vs Sugar Land Logos Prep; Dallas Covenant vs Houston Beren*

2A Girls at Mansfield (finals at Legacy): Muenster Sacred Heart vs San Antonio Lutheran

3A Boys at Mansfield Summit: Fort Worth Calvary vs Tomball Rosehill Christan **

3A Girls at Mansfield Summit: Tomball Rosehill Christian** vs Amarillo Arbor Christian ***

* - Beren is a Jewish school; they defeated Kerrville Our Lady of the Hills Catholic in a regional final moved from its original schedule; if TAPPS is unable to adjust game times for their state tournament games due to religious observance, OLH may be playing in those games. In the past, TAPPS has not made adjustments at the regional or state level, but now allows those adjustments at regionals (I'm not sure about state). I've been told that they would need to play Friday and finish by 6:02 and play Saturday after 7:03; actually those times would have to be adjusted on both ends as they would need to complete their travel by 6:02 Friday and not travel until 7:03 Satuday. So, assuming they had a hotel or other place to stay within an hour of the game sites, you're probably looking at a game no later than 2 pm Friday (and let's hope it doesn't go a few OT's) and about 8 pm Saturday.

** Rosehill played 6 man in 2011; will be playing crowded field in 2012.

*** Arbor played crowded field in 2011; will be playing 6-man in 2012.

According to the brackets on the TAPPS website, Kerrville Our Lady of the Hills will be playing Dallas Covenant in the semi-finals ...

very interesting situation. on one hand, the boys deserve to play considering all they have done is win. on the other, they agreed to these dates at the beginning of the season. it's hard to say what is right and how it should be handled. another interesting side comment: if kerrville does play dc, 3 out of the 4 semi final teams are the same as football with a strong possibility of a state game rematch.

eaglesnest":1qars4o9 said:
the boys deserve to play considering all they have done is win
I agree with eaglenest but the rules are clear and HB knew that going in. TAPPS need to make sure they enforce them (the rules) across all sports consistently. What I want to know is why OLH gets to advance. They lost. If anything DC should get a bye. Can you imagine the stink this will cause if OLH was to go on and win the whole thing.

1987":okneroiw said:
eaglesnest":okneroiw said:
the boys deserve to play considering all they have done is win
I agree with eaglenest but the rules are clear and HB knew that going in. TAPPS need to make sure they enforce them (the rules) across all sports consistently. What I want to know is why OLH gets to advance. They lost. If anything DC should get a bye. Can you imagine the stink this will cause if OLH was to go on and win the whole thing.

i agree that dc should not be playing kerrville, but they should not get a bye. they should be playing austin hill country who beat kerrville during the regular season 60-29. beren beat hill country round two of playoffs and beat kerrville in round three. therefore kerrville is the better team and should advance? i would disagree...

The traditional rule is that whenever there is a forfeit in the playoffs (for example, this has happened a number of times in UIL due to an ineligible player), the team who LAST LOST to the team forfeiting out of the playoffs is given their spot.

I just received a message from a friend saying this story was just on FOX news. I wonder now if public pressure will cause TAPPS to accomadate HBs request.

1987":2e785ajp said:
I just received a message from a friend saying this story was just on FOX news. I wonder now if public pressure will cause TAPPS to accomadate HBs request.

I doubt it. In a day or so, they'll find some other latest "outrage."

And ask your neighborhood UIL school ... if one of their players was an observant Jew, would they ask UIL to postpone or reschedule their playoff game? Three guesses and the first two don't count.

Wish they could find an answer, but when you run a tournament with 30 games in a 27 hour span, making changes is like changing a jigsaw puzzle.

I just found the story on the FOX News site and they reported that all 9 members of the board voted unanimously against changing the time. I wonder how long the discussion took.
I do feel bad for the boys though.
Its going to be interesting. OLH vs. DC in the late game Friday and a possible ACHS vs. DC Saturday. There is going to be some emotions flowing.

I'm surprised there's no backup dates to play on. Up here the private school league holds their basketball finals on a Sunday. There is only one school that doesn't agree to play on Sundays, there is a backup plan in place that says if they ever make the finals, the game is moved to a Tuesday at a pre-determined site and the other 2 games stay on Sunday.

It's amazing to see the slant that yahoo puts on the situation versus the statement issued by TAPPS.

I guess instead of abiding by an agreement, Houston Beren is trying to get its way through the court of public opinion.

Good on TAPPS for sticking to the rules - the same rules that Beren agreed to abide by.

rainjacktx":1gvuk5z7 said:
It's amazing to see the slant that yahoo puts on the situation versus the statement issued by TAPPS.

I guess instead of abiding by an agreement, Houston Beren is trying to get its way through the court of public opinion.

Good on TAPPS for sticking to the rules - the same rules that Beren agreed to abide by.
Under different circumstances I would feel bad for Beren, but you're right, they knew the rules and agreed to play by them.

Judge says they get to play.
Man that stinks! Guess the Beren A.D. had his fingers crossed when he said all they wanted was a district to play in. Or that's A.D. speak which really means if we happen to win that district we'll cross that bridge when we come to it and you can expect us to come out with guns blazing.
What happened to truth and integrity.
http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Ber ... 374028.php

Back