TAPPS realignment is out.

TAPPS wins this realignment IMO.

Competition is better. Districts are bigger. Playoffs will be more competitive across the board.

Happy customer here!

Having taken a quick look at the new alignment, a couple things stand out ...

1. Weighting the cut between D1 and D2 to the "advantage" of the D2 schools isn't a bad idea. The smaller schools are more likely to drop due to numbers and injuries ... my guess is that there probably was a pretty clear dividing line between the D1 and D2 numbers.

TAPPS made the call two years ago to lift the cap for 6 man football participation; Emery and Giddings were probably the two schools most affected; Giddings, by nature of their facility, has a significant limit on participants due to (1) state rules concerning who among their enrollment can participate and (2) the willingness of judges throughout the state to enroll students at that facility, if you get my drift. Emery is one of those schools that will just not draw big football numbers. While numbers help when it comes to six man, you still can only play 6 at a time and it depends on your six vs my six.

2. As expected, Bryan Allen made the switch back to TAPPS. I'm a little disappointed that San Antonio Atonement didn't make the move back to TAPPS. By the way, in 11-man (aka "crowded field football,"), San Marcos Academy came back to TAPPS after a two year trip to TCAL and San Antonio St. Marys Hall moved from SPC to TAPPS.

3. Only move from 6 man to 11 man is Pasadena First Baptist Christian.

4. I guess John Rabon and Tim Shipman will have to decide what week they want to meet in non-district. This would be the first time since 2003 that those two schools were not in the same football district (in 2003, Lifegate was able to work into a district during their first season with the closure of Castroville Daystar; they had all the other district schools on their schedule except one and Lifegate was able to schedule that game; Heritage played an independent schedule for their first two years, 2002 and 2003, before joining a TAPPS district in 2004 and winning their first state title that year.

TAPPS 2016-2018 Alignment - 6 Man Football
Schools in Bold did not participate in 2015

Division I

District 1
Abilene Christian Schools
Denton Calvary Academy
Midland Trinity
Watauga Harvest Christian

District 2
Dallas Lakehill Prep School
Dallas Lutheran
Ovilla Christian
Rockwall Heritage Christian

District 3
Austin Brentwood Christian
Austin Hill Country Christian
Round Rock Christian
Round Rock Concordia Academy
Waco Vanguard

District 4
Austin Veritas Academy
San Antonio Castle Hills First Baptist School
San Antonio Lutheran High
Kerrville Our Lady of the Hills

District 5
Giddings State School
Houston Emery/Weiner High School
Katy Faith West Academy
Spring Providence Classical

6 Man Football Division II

District 1
Amarillo Holy Cross Catholic
El Paso Jesus Chapel
Plainview Christian
Lubbock Christ the King
Wichita Christian School
Wichita Falls Notre Dame

District 2
Brownwood Victory Life Academy
Fort Worth Covenant Classical
Granbury NCTA
Temple Holy Trinity Catholic High School
Waco Live Oak Classical

District 3
Carrollton Christian Academy
Dallas Fairhill
Dallas Tyler Street Christian Academy*
Heath The Fulton School
Richardson Canyon Creek

District 4
Greenville Christian School
Athens Christian Preparatory Academy
Henderson Full Armor
Longview Christian Heritage

Longview Trinity School of Texas

District 5
Cedar Park Summit Christian
New Braunfels Christian
San Marcos Hill Country
Seguin Lifegate Christian School
Selma River City Believers Academy

District 6
Bulverde Bracken Christian
Fredericksburg Heritage
San Antonio Christian Academy
San Antonio The Winston
Spring Branch Living Rock

District 7
Alvin Living Stones Christian School
Bellville Faith Academy
Bryan Allen Academy
Huntsville Alpha Omega

District 8
Baytown Christian Academy
Conroe Covenant Christian School*
Conroe Lifestyle Christian School
Kingwood The Covenant Preparatory This is a new name for Kingwood NE Christian
Lake Jackson Brazosport
Orange Community Christian

puldude":1kypjgql said:
Tons of calls would be correct. I would not want to be on the receiving end.
I'd simply direct them to the form to appeal their classification/district and tell them to wait for the next board meeting. Beyond that I wouldn't want to hear it. Guess that's why they pay them the big bucks.

District I for Division II please add Christ The King- Lubbock. In my honest opinion I think probably 4-5 teams will drop in division II just due to low numbers. It is no one's fault. I think we will honestly have mid 30s so I do see a very competitive postseason. I 'm excited we are going back to Division I and Division II. I like having a 5 and 6 teams in a district. At the end of the day you can not and will not please everyone. I served on the AEC in the past I promise they are doing everything in their power to make the organization better. If you want to make an appeal more power to you. Remember there is a process and educate yourself on that appeal process.

Thanks,

Coach J

1987":3sudkvet said:
I'd like some rational on the numbers across the board. Why is Midland Trinity, Waco Vanguard and Giddings still in the sixman ranks, but in basketball they are being bumped up to 4a.

FYI. Emery and Katy Faith West are 5A. If I'm not mistaken, TAPPS took the top end number off for D1 6-man. Any school can play.

One of my "pluses" for larger districts is that scheduling is so, so much easier.

If you have six teams in a district, that means you only need to find five non-district games. And you can be a bit choosy and try to set up non-district matches that will prepare you for district play. Maybe you need a couple cupcakes to build confidence for district play. If the good Lord (and the TAPPS board) blesses you with seven or eight teams, well, say a couple of prayers of thanks, because you just hit the jackpot.

Or you'd better play a couple tough games so you can be ready for the district powerhouse.

Plus, you can get that pesky homecoming stuff over before district starts. Just remember, what you schedule this year, you get next year, too (usually). A coach has to think about what his talent is going to be in 2016 and 2017. Sure stinks if you got a good team coming in 2016 and a whole bunch of underclassmen in 2017.

Another thing I like about a larger district is that you play more MEANINGFUL games. It sure stinks to play seven, sometimes eight non-district games, trying to stay healthy for those two or three district contests at the end of the year that determine if you get to play in week 12 and beyond. Part of me would seriously consider with a three or four team district to play a round-robin schedule among district teams and have four to six district games.

Back