TAPPS realignment is out.

21 teams in Division 1.

41 teams in Division 2.

I would think that they could have made them a little more equal. I don't know the rationale behind what they decided so maybe they couldn't have.

8 Districts, I would imagine the top 2 in each district make the playoffs. 16 teams make playoffs, 4 weeks of playoffs, nobody gets a first round bye.

That's just a guess.

Still quite a few teams to choose from, but a little better.
I am curious to hear why there is such a big difference

It's based on the school's listed enrollment. Don't have the cutoffs listed yet. I think they would go to 16 teams in Div II at least. Perhaps they could do away with the bye week in the regular season, expand the field further, and just start a week earlier. I wouldn't want to be making these decisions. Prototype darned if you do, darned if you don't scenario. Even out the numbers you'll have folks moaning about how unfair it is they're in the same division as schools with a much bigger enrollment. Set strict size limits and folks complain about limited playoff spots.

I guess ur right.. either way somebody going to be unhappy. Glad they mixed it up and looking forward to seeing new rivalries. Hate to see some go...

The good part about the larger districts is it makes non-district scheduling a lot easier. Depending on your location (Houston area where 6 man is not common in the public school ranks) It can be a life saver.

Shane":udzx6kir said:
THEQB":udzx6kir said:
out of this 41...
13 get playoff bids?
Any idea how that works?

They'll probably have 32 out of 41 in the playoffs. LOL
How about 24. Top 3 from each district make it, district champs get a bye, 2nd and 3rd place teams from different districts face off. Gets plenty of teams in and still makes it competitive.

I'd like some rational on the numbers across the board. Why is Midland Trinity, Waco Vanguard and Giddings still in the sixman ranks, but in basketball they are being bumped up to 4a.

1987":3liyxq14 said:
I'd like some rational on the numbers across the board. Why is Midland Trinity, Waco Vanguard and Giddings still in the sixman ranks, but in basketball they are being bumped up to 4a.

They are going up to 6 divisions in basketball in other sports. 4A is like the old 3A. Giddings will always be a special case as there's only a limited number of kids who will be eligible to play at any time.

I will just say that our Football Coaches are not happy with the line up. Seems to be too few in Div 1 and too many in Div 2. The district we have been ailigned with is good but goodness gracious by jimminy...

1987":3a57354h said:

Emery would be another one...

puldude":1qxwdf6b said:
I will just say that our Football Coaches are not happy with the line up. Seems to be too few in Div 1 and too many in Div 2. The district we have been ailigned with is good but goodness gracious by jimminy...

So what are they unhappy about? Don't like being paired with Seguin and Cedar Park? Bigger districts make scheduling easier. Bigger districts make district games meaningful. Bigger division makes earning a playoff bid very meaningful. Bigger division makes the State Title a true accomplishment. I like it. In my opinion, the three division system was a farce. Too much of the, "Everyone gets a trophy" philosophy. Too many teams made the playoffs only to get crushed in the first round. Now we will have teams that are fighting to make the playoffs and teams that truly deserve being there.

I don't think it will fly, though. Can you imagine how many phone calls TAPPS is getting right now? How many schools are considering not fielding a team or pulling out of TAPPS? If I remember correctly, TAPPS floated the two division system two years ago to then go with three. 21 schools in DI and 41 in DII....so what? The big schools don't have to worry about numbers and fielding a team. The small schools that do have those worries will be playing against schools that are in a similar boat. Schools worried about not making the playoffs need to quit whining and step up. There are some very important life lessons in football, one of them is facing that gorilla in your way. Another is earning your goal and being grateful for achieving it- not whining about not getting a shot.

I can tell you that our numbers did not change much in the past two years, what did change was the range for the classifications.

Here was the criteria for 2014-2016:

5A Enrollment Average 391 and above
4A Enrollment Average 191 - 391
3A Enrollment Average 106 – 191
2A Enrollment Average 60 – 105
1A Enrollment Average 59 and below

For 2016-2018:

6A Enrollment Average 398 and above
5A Enrollment Average 223 to 397
4A Enrollment Average 141 to 222
3A Enrollment Average 101 to 140
2A Enrollment Average 71 to 100
1A Enrollment Average 70 and below

If anyone has insight as to what the cutoff determination was, that would be helpful. From looking at current enrollment numbers of the listed schools, it appears that maybe they put 1A & 2A sixman schools in Division II, (i.e. less than 101 students). The only school in D2 that I see with a current enrollment over 100 is Brazosport at 106 (but I know TAPPS usually uses the 4-year enrollment avg.).
However, in the past, football has been determined by boys enrollment, which I don't see on the TAPPS site anymore (they used to list these numbers on the old website).
If my assumption is correct and it's 0-100 avg in D2 and 101+ in D1, then I think it is great. If they aren't going to put a cap on six-man enrollment, then the larger schools probably need their own division.
I also only saw eight schools with enrollments under 50, so the idea of 3 divisions only weakens TAPPS 6-man.
I'd even be in favor of 1 6-man division with a true playoff, IF TAPPS put an enrollment cap on 6-man.
I like larger divisions, larger districts and the opportunity to play more cross-sectional games within the division.
We have been in D1 for the past 4 seasons, and in my opinion, it was much better when there were two divisions. It looks like we will be D2 next season possibly, and that's exciting to get an opportunity to create some rivalries with nearby schools that we would otherwise be separated from with the 3-division setup.
For those that are complaining or making phone calls to TAPPS, be careful what you wish for.

pup":2rkm9i6c said:
puldude":2rkm9i6c said:

So what are they unhappy about? Don't like being paired with Seguin and Cedar Park? Bigger districts make scheduling easier. Bigger districts make district games meaningful. Bigger division makes earning a playoff bid very meaningful. Bigger division makes the State Title a true accomplishment. I like it. In my opinion, the three division system was a farce. Too much of the, "Everyone gets a trophy" philosophy. Too many teams made the playoffs only to get crushed in the first round. Now we will have teams that are fighting to make the playoffs and teams that truly deserve being there.

I don't think it will fly, though. Can you imagine how many phone calls TAPPS is getting right now? How many schools are considering not fielding a team or pulling out of TAPPS? If I remember correctly, TAPPS floated the two division system two years ago to then go with three. 21 schools in DI and 41 in DII....so what? The big schools don't have to worry about numbers and fielding a team. The small schools that do have those worries will be playing against schools that are in a similar boat. Schools worried about not making the playoffs need to quit whining and step up. There are some very important life lessons in football, one of them is facing that gorilla in your way. Another is earning your goal and being grateful for achieving it- not whining about not getting a shot.

Back