Six Man Receivers

SixManNewb

Six-man fan
My son has been playing six man for 2 seasons now after playing RB in 11 man through his freshman year. He was a really good RB, but he's built like a slot receiver and his hands were wasted there. I'm beginning to understand that six man football is dominated by great running games, but there's still a place for receivers. Last season I got to see Whit Jewett from Covenant. He was great. I've seen some good receivers this year too. Chandler Luedtke from Nazarene was really good. Ethan Moczygemba from Heritage Christian Longview was also really good. Who are some of the other great receivers in the state? (I'm talking about true receivers....not RB who catch dump offs.)

I'm a little biased, but I would put my son up against anyone. He's not the biggest or fastest kid out there, but he's got tremendous hands, vision and body control. Plus, he's one of the most competitive kids you'll ever meet. Of the teams that upload stats to MaxPreps, he's the 3rd leading receiver in the state across all divisions. His numbers are limited by a number of factors. First, he lost his QB before the season started, so we played all year with a backup. Our coach scheduled a really soft schedule, so with all of the 45s, he only played 28 total quarters this season. Additionally, our coach puts (probably too much) emphasis on balance. There were a couple of games where he was only targeted 2x. That being said, he finished the season with 56 catches for 908 yards (most of it against the good teams on the schedule) and 14 TDs. Last season he was honorable mention all-state. With our early exit from the playoffs, I don't know what this year holds.

Junior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14934062/6343384b5ef6bb08fc8876e4

Sophomore season highlight: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14934062/614df01c9a912008c0269bec

If you're looking for receiver better just keep looking at private schools. Very rarely going to find public schools with receivers having over 500 yards. Not there isn't kids capable of doing it in public schools, they just don't throw the ball that much, doesn't win games at the highest level. Having a hard nosed run game is what wins in UIL and its proven year in a year out. Teams that try and throw almost exclusively cannot win in UIL. Schedule some public schools and see how those numbers stack up, QB will almost never have time to make some of those throws. Daddy ball don't win

My son has been playing six man for 2 seasons now after playing RB in 11 man through his freshman year. He was a really good RB, but he's built like a slot receiver and his hands were wasted there. I'm beginning to understand that six man football is dominated by great running games, but there's still a place for receivers. Last season I got to see Whit Jewett from Covenant. He was great. I've seen some good receivers this year too. Chandler Luedtke from Nazarene was really good. Ethan Moczygemba from Heritage Christian Longview was also really good. Who are some of the other great receivers in the state? (I'm talking about true receivers....not RB who catch dump offs.)

I'm a little biased, but I would put my son up against anyone. He's not the biggest or fastest kid out there, but he's got tremendous hands, vision and body control. Plus, he's one of the most competitive kids you'll ever meet. Of the teams that upload stats to MaxPreps, he's the 3rd leading receiver in the state across all divisions. His numbers are limited by a number of factors. First, he lost his QB before the season started, so we played all year with a backup. Our coach scheduled a really soft schedule, so with all of the 45s, he only played 28 total quarters this season. Additionally, our coach puts (probably too much) emphasis on balance. There were a couple of games where he was only targeted 2x. That being said, he finished the season with 56 catches for 908 yards (most of it against the good teams on the schedule) and 14 TDs. Last season he was honorable mention all-state. With our early exit from the playoffs, I don't know what this year holds.

Junior season highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14934062/6343384b5ef6bb08fc8876e4

Sophomore season highlight: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/14934062/614df01c9a912008c0269bec
I coached against your son this year at Nazarene, He made some exceptional catches, especially on the sideline on really big downs for you guys. I agree with your scouting report of him. Speed isn't going to blow you away but he does everything else really well! I look forward to the rematch this coming year.

I coached against your son this year at Nazarene, He made some exceptional catches, especially on the sideline on really big downs for you guys. I agree with your scouting report of him. Speed isn't going to blow you away but he does everything else really well! I look forward to the rematch this coming year.
Thanks for your kind words. I thought your kid Luedtke was a great receiver as well. Tucker and I enjoy watching other kids display their craft and he made a one handed catch along the sideline that raised our eyebrows.

While passing is a crucial part of the game there are lots of schools that have a incredible run game but at the end of the day defense wins championships . If you try to be a mainly passing team in modern 6 man you open yourself up to a lot of interceptions and pick sixes that will lose a game faster than anything. I do remember in the early 2000’s several teams that had a air raid type offense but that way of thinking fell behind. Now days a good receiver is critical on defense. Offenses that are dominating almost always have 1-3 kids that can run, juke and roll extremely well with great blockers. Just my 2¢.

While passing is a crucial part of the game there are lots of schools that have a incredible run game but at the end of the day defense wins championships . If you try to be a mainly passing team in modern 6 man you open yourself up to a lot of interceptions and pick sixes that will lose a game faster than anything. I do remember in the early 2000’s several teams that had a air raid type offense but that way of thinking fell behind. Now days a good receiver is critical on defense. Offenses that are dominating almost always have 1-3 kids that can run, juke and roll extremely well with great blockers. Just my 2¢.
Playing him both ways is a discussion for another thread. He's also our best defender (easily our best cover safety), but few people would know that bc our coach refuses to play him both ways consistently. If we have an injury or need a key stop, he gets to go in. In our playoff game, he waited until we were down 32-6 with our opponent in our red zone to put him in on defense....but at least he was fresh for offense!! :rolleyes:

I agree. We showed last week against Oakwood that passing isn't enough. We've never had an issue running, but couldn't. Our QB had nearly 400 yards passing, but in the end we lost because we couldn't stop the run. Well, that's one reason. Something to build on for next year!

Playing him both ways is a discussion for another thread. He's also our best defender (easily our best cover safety), but few people would know that bc our coach refuses to play him both ways consistently. If we have an injury or need a key stop, he gets to go in. In our playoff game, he waited until we were down 32-6 with our opponent in our red zone to put him in on defense....but at least he was fresh for offense!! :rolleyes:
Sounds like you need to be coaching the team

If you're looking for receiver better just keep looking at private schools. Very rarely going to find public schools with receivers having over 500 yards. Not there isn't kids capable of doing it in public schools, they just don't throw the ball that much, doesn't win games at the highest level. Having a hard nosed run game is what wins in UIL and its proven year in a year out. Teams that try and throw almost exclusively cannot win in UIL. Schedule some public schools and see how those numbers stack up, QB will almost never have time to make some of those throws. Daddy ball don't win
Lanham Briley threw for 989 and 31 TD against RS and Strawn last year.
I would say that's pretty good.

I disagree with your premise that a passing offense can't win in the UIL. It's that it is simpler to run a running based offense. It still comes down to putting points on the board and allowing your opponent fewer. Your statement that a Qb wouldn't have time to throw is inaccurate.
We have played 7 UIL games the pass three seasons and have were a combined 157/284 for 3003 yards and 375points.Thats against RS, Strawn, Union Hill and Baird. Granted we 2-5 in those games. But it wasn't because the offense could score and move the ball. Our defense was missing our best defensive player in four of those games and we just couldn't get enough stops.

I disagree with your premise that a passing offense can't win in the UIL. It's that it is simpler to run a running based offense. It still comes down to putting points on the board and allowing your opponent fewer. Your statement that a Qb wouldn't have time to throw is inaccurate.
We have played 7 UIL games the pass three seasons and have were a combined 157/284 for 3003 yards and 375points.Thats against RS, Strawn, Union Hill and Baird. Granted we 2-5 in those games. But it wasn't because the offense could score and move the ball. Our defense was missing our best defensive player in four of those games and we just couldn't get enough stops.
If it’s simpler to run an offense that if passing based then why don’t more UIL schools do it? Don’t think that one defensive player was going make a difference against 2020 Union Hill or 2021 Strawn (that didn’t have rigdon playing). I find it hard to believe an offense works when you are 2-5 against Uil schools. Just my opinion but it seems like it would be much easier to spread it out and tell receivers to run around, rather than getting kids to get after it in the trenches

If it’s simpler to run an offense that if passing based then why don’t more UIL schools do it? Don’t think that one defensive player was going make a difference against 2020 Union Hill or 2021 Strawn (that didn’t have rigdon playing). I find it hard to believe an offense works when you are 2-5 against Uil schools. Just my opinion but it seems like it would be much easier to spread it out and tell receivers to run around, rather than getting kids to get after it in the trenches
Are you from Knox City by any chance?

First of all, he said it was simpler to go run based. Second, you have a complete lack of understanding of how successful passing games work. Do you honestly think a pass based offense is just spread them out and run around? Embarrassing.

Are you from Knox City by any chance?

First of all, he said it was simpler to go run based. Second, you have a complete lack of understanding of how successful passing games work. Do you honestly think a pass based offense is just spread them out and run around? Embarrassing.
Obviously I don’t mean run around as in back yard football, I mean it as it is easier to get kids to run routes and play an spread it out offense better than run and block and tough it out.

Back