Several six-man cases going before UIL SEC tomorrow

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, TX —
The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League will convene at 9 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 25 at the Marriott Austin in Round Rock to determine the eligibility of student-athletes and discuss alleged rule violations.

A schedule of Tuesday’s hearings follows.

HEARINGS (AA-HH)

9:00 a.m. AA. Round Rock Stony Point High School: Appeal of District 13-6A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.
9:45 a.m. BB. Mount Calm High School: Appeal of District 12-1A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.
10:30 a.m. CC. Fort Bend Marshall High School: Appeal of District 11-5A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.
11:15 a.m. DD. Zephyr High School: Appeal of District 15-1A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.
12:40 p.m. EE. White Settlement Brewer High School: Appeal of District 3-5A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.
1:25 p.m. FF. Valley Mills High School, Student A: Appeal of District 7-2A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.
2:10 p.m. GG. Valley Mills High School, Student B: Appeal of District 7-2A Executive Committee Decision Regarding Eligibility of a Student Athlete, Section 443, Changing Schools for Athletic Purposes.

EMERGENCY STATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING (AA)
3:00 p.m. AA. Consideration of Penalties for Violations of Section 50(a)(3), Student Violations, Section 51(b)(1), School District Personnel Violations, and Section 52(b), UIL School Violations
1. Involved Student-Athletes
2. Coach David Donnell, Sanderson High School
3. Coach Arturo Alferez, Marfa High School
4. Sanderson High School
5. Marfa High School

As bad as I hate to say it, common sense is dead and gone, it’s all about social media madness and most importantly the Almighty $$$$$ . Very few people have the character, resolve and courage to do what is moral and right. Situational ethics rules the day. Right or wrong is irrelevant. Unfortunately all too many decisions today are based on fear of the social media lemmings.
Anybody want to be on the Supreme Court ?............

The first post on this thread said “Monday, September 25”, I believe it was supposed to say Monday, September 24th.
So any results yet? ...........j

How did that go for the Happy kids requesting the waiver for the Parent Residence Rule? Asking seriously, to learn more about how this process works.

Media Contact: Logan Lawrence
Phone: (512) 232-4940
Fax: (512) 471-6589
Email: [email protected]
Date: September 25, 2018

UIL State Executive Committee Meeting Results

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AUSTIN, Texas — The State Executive Committee of the University Interscholastic League met Tuesday to hand down decisions on eligibility of student-athletes and issue penalties for UIL rule violations.

Marfa High School and Sanderson High School football programs were given two years probation for fighting with opponents. Involved student-athletes were issued one-year probation.

Sanderson High School head football coach David Donnell was suspended for the remainder of the 2018 football season, issued three years probation and a public reprimand. Marfa High School head coach Arturo Alferez was suspended for one game, issued two years probation and a public reprimand.

Student-athletes from Round Rock Stony Point High School, White Settlement Brewer High School, and Valley Mills High School were denied appeals for varsity eligibility, upholding the previous rulings of the district executive committees.

Student-athletes from Mount Calm High School, Fort Bend Marshall, Zephyr High School, Valley Mills High School were granted appeals for varsity eligibility. After hearing testimony from all parties, it was determined that these students did not change schools for athletic purposes.

Hopefully Coach Donnell has reached the rule of 80 regarding TRS. I'm guessing so if he's 60 plus and has been coaching since at least 2003. Could be close.

Just as I had figured, a committee of numbskulls. But that’s the way it always goes. Don’t screw up a good flogging by looking at a few facts! IMHO

My respone that I sent to the UIL today is as follows:

I don’t live anywhere close to either team, and I don’t know anyone in either county, they are both at least 7 hours driving time away from where I live.
I disagree with your punishment for the Sanderson coach. After the humiliation he suffered at the hands of overzealous and politically conscious law enforcement, I would think that something less than suspending him for the rest of the season would be more fair, appropriate and consistent with the spirit of the ruling considering there was no clear “replay” camera footage available. I base my belief in the fact that I have served as a law enforcement officer that has had to intervene in scuffles such as this and much, much worse.
You have basically told all coaches and school personnel to “let them fight”.
Somewhere in your deliberations I sincerely believe you went astray.
Very Truly Yours,
C. H. Harvey
[email protected]
979-203-6765

I hope that your response will give them better consideration in the future. In my opinion, it was spot on and I commend you for your efforts!!!

Longhorn85":3b0lh866 said:
How did that go for the Happy kids requesting the waiver for the Parent Residence Rule? Asking seriously, to learn more about how this process works.

I guess I have missed where the above hearings included Happy students?????

swires":2v6c1cr4 said:
Longhorn85":2v6c1cr4 said:

I guess I have missed where the above hearings included Happy students?????

They didn't. The waiver committee is a separate committee that has a separate meeting. I haven't seen those results published anywhere as of yet.

Dogface2":1tzlrwzq said:
So I wonder if the Marfa and Sanderson guys will be re-signed for next year?

There was a hearing on the 24th, reviewing Parental Residential Waivers, included two players from Happy. Basically they live outside the district and need a waiver to not have to sit out a year.

Times like this make me wish I had gone to law school because I would help Coach Donnell for free! He needs to lawyer up and appeal the agency, the UIL's, to district court and sue Presidio County for this gross overreaction to the situation. While I like to think most judges would laugh at that tape serving as probable cause, the arrest definitely negatively affected him in the eyes of both the UIL and the public. The UIL, as an agency, has leeway in this situation, so it might be hard to overturn it. With that said, however, I think he would win against Presidio County.

I agree TebowTime. Discretion is a word with a lot of POWER. Law enforcement officers are allowed wide discretion when encountering the public. Almost every person could be arrested at any time and for little or no reason as most laws are currently written. Discretion can be a powerful weapon at times if abused and it requires many qualities to exercise it properly. Among them are wisdom, common sense, empathy, a strong moral foundation and sound judgement. Unfortunately, all too often, discretion, when used unfairly leads to frustration and a lack of respect for those in authority who exercise it with impunity and arrogance. Used properly and fairly it engenders respect and confidence that decisions are based on the consideration of the facts and input from all parties. Unfortunately in this day and time all too many of the “Alphabet Agencies “ have lost the public’s trust because of abuse of their “Discretion” in dealings with those powerless to challenge the status quo.

Back