Robert Lee "cutting sports"?

Prolly cutting sports that most 1A schools don't have kids that are really great at like golf or tennis. When you take a team of kids to shoot a 130 on 18 holes and then qualify for regionals and spend $1k on hotels and meals to get them there, that's called a waste of money. I highly doubt they're cutting six man football, but NBC News would like to leave that open ended so people post it and make inferences and looks like it worked in your case. Football ain't going nowhere and democrat-induced inflation is far more likely to kill rural America.

Last edited:
The vouchers for private schools really jacks with everyone's comfort zone as far school finance goes. Many parents fear that schools controlled by the Woke school boards will introduce material and ideas foreign to their family values, which is accurate. It is already happening in many urban communities across the US and Texas. So many Republicans have sided with the tax funded vouchers to help with private school expenses. Parents should decide what their children is taught which is possible in a private or homeschool setting.. Our liberal media wants to portray this movement as an effort to divert public school funding to pay for wealthy children's education which is inaccurate. As taxpayers, parents should have some say about who benefits from those taxes even if it benefits private schools. Teachers unions and many school boards can no longer be trusted to keep and teach our traditional values.

Prolly cutting sports that most 1A schools don't have kids that are really great at like golf or tennis. When you take a team of kids to shoot a 130 on 18 holes and then qualify for regionals and spend $1k on hotels and meals to get them there, that's called a waste of money. I highly doubt they're cutting six man football, but NBC News would like to leave that open ended so people post it and make inferences and looks like it worked in your case. Football ain't going nowhere and democrat-induced inflation is far more likely to kill rural America.
Doubt its going to be golf, I would have to look to be sure but I think their girls have won 2 or 3 state titles in a row.

Another perspective, if 1A schools are wasting money on kids that are not good, then 6A schools can say that about pretty much everything we do.

Just read the article. Robert Lee is not cutting anything.

Its also a pretty good article and Mr. Hood understands things from a pretty common sense thought process. I agree. I do not know anyone opposed to school choice. Taking tax dollars collected as school taxes and sending them to private schools without oversite or accountability or anywhere near the same standard public schools have, is nuts.

If this is really about choice, then the law would require private schools to either accept all students presenting a voucher or no vouchers. Charter schools (different than private schools) already accept students with disabilities, low socioeconomic status and other hinderances to learning at a much lower rate than their neighboring public school. Private schools wont be different and there still wont be choice for the students that need it the most.

Typical for the state of Texas. They already spend less per student than almost any other state. So now let’s give the rich urban families a subsidy to send their kids to a private school so they don’t have to rub elbows with the common folk. Private schools and charter schools are still going to be held to a different standard than public schools. Let’s under mine the majority of kids to please a small group. Makes perfect sense.

I'd say this is an overgeneralization. I don't think our golf team has ever stayed in a hotel for regionals, and, averaging 130 as a team is certainly not going to win anything in our region. Golf is quite popular at our school, especially with the boys, but we don't spend that much on it at all, so I can't imagine that played a factor in them possibly cutting it. If anything, they probably didn't have enough for a team.

Typical for the state of Texas. They already spend less per student than almost any other state. So now let’s give the rich urban families a subsidy to send their kids to a private school so they don’t have to rub elbows with the common folk. Private schools and charter schools are still going to be held to a different standard than public schools. Let’s under mine the majority of kids to please a small group. Makes perfect sense.
Spending per student DOES NOT equate to a better education. Baltimore spends close to $21000 per student in its public "schools" and has horrible results with less than 93% of 3rd through 8th graders deficient in math and 23 schools with NO students reading and doing math at grade level. Chicago spends $29000 per student and has 55 schools where NO students meet the grade level for math and reading. The same bad news affects schools in Los Angeles, Washington DC, New York City, Boston, and virtually all other big city schools.

As far as the tax money for education, whose money is it? It DOES NOT belong to the public schools, it belongs to the taxpayers and they have the right to demand good performance for the money taken from them. Parents who pay taxes have the right to take their money back for poor performance. I know the rural areas do not have much choice on what schools are available, but if they are willing to make the drive to go to a private or parochial school, then they should be able to take their tax money back to pay for it.

The educational development of a child is directly determined by the parents/grandparents/guardians emphasis on education of the child. Sending children to any school whether public or private doesn't matter as much as the emphasis and influence of the the child's parents or guardian. Send them to any small remote county school and the children with involved parents will prosper and earn a good basic education. Packing a child off to a private school doesn't guarantee much either if the parents aren't fully involved with the process. The value and importance of an education is a family unit trait, many families don't value it and their children will suffer because of it. Of course it's nice to have well educated teachers waiting for children at the local school but sometimes that is not the case. There for it is important to have other educational options.

The misnomer about private schools is that everyone is rich that attends. The SPC school's (Kinkaid, ESD, St. Mark's, etc..) tuition is outrageous ($35k+ yearly). With that said, most TAPPS school's aren't for the rich. Yes, there are some larger schools that are, but the smaller one's aren't. I'm on my 14th year in this profession, 7 years in public (5A, 3A, 2A) and 7 years in private school. I can speak for the places that I have worked, both public and private, we did not "recruit". For the majority of the kids that made the switch from public to private, they fell into two categories: 1) Better education / SAT-ACT prep concentration vs. STAAR testing prep or 2) Better social setting / Christian setting / Smaller bubble vs. public school issues (gang violence, vaping. weed in bathrooms, drugs, drinking, etc.). I was at a 5A public school before coming to ACS. To be honest, it was an absolute graveyard for education and safety. They busted students that were sent by the cartels to deal drugs aka fentanyl to students as young as elementary school. There was gang violence daily. Teachers are basically "babysitters" spending the majority of their time trying to stop all the distractions. The bathrooms wreaked of weed constantly. Absolutely ZERO accountability. God was never allowed to be talked about. Genderfication and gay pride was celebrated. To top it all off, this was one of the "better rated" schools in the district.

So for me and my family, we were blessed enough to have an opportunity to come to ACS. Where God hasn't been taken out of the learning environment. Where doing the right thing is celebrated. Where there are consequences for doing the wrong thing. Where we pray for the students and staff as a school in the morning. Where we pledge to the Texas flag, Christian flag, and Bible. Sure we have issues, but nothing even close to what I've experienced in the public school sector. I'm telling you, and you all know it, the public school's, especially the bigger one's, are getting ridiculously bad.

With all that said, I truly believe that most of the school's that are 6man, still have the same Christian values and accountability as many of the private schools. As a matter of fact, I know they do. I'm not Nostradamus, but I believe that we will start to see many of the "city" kids, relocating to smaller schools within somewhat reasonable driving distance. This is already happening outside of the DFW area. As for the other "city" kids, they will find a charter or private school that fits their needs. For the rest, all we can do is pray that they make it out alive and unscarred.

Personally, I don't believe that the government should be involved at all with our personal choices. My entire point responding to this post was to give an insight that private schools aren't the enemy here. They offer things, that unfortunately has been taken away from the public school setting by that very same government who wants to give out vouchers. I highly respect many teachers / coaches in public school. We talk about their issues vs. our issues, and they aren't even on the same spectrum. Again. many of these issues are with the bigger schools. Fortunately, all those issues haven't polluted the small town setting yet. I pray they never do.

Spending per student DOES NOT equate to a better education. Baltimore spends close to $21000 per student in its public "schools" and has horrible results with less than 93% of 3rd through 8th graders deficient in math and 23 schools with NO students reading and doing math at grade level. Chicago spends $29000 per student and has 55 schools where NO students meet the grade level for math and reading. The same bad news affects schools in Los Angeles, Washington DC, New York City, Boston, and virtually all other big city schools.

As far as the tax money for education, whose money is it? It DOES NOT belong to the public schools, it belongs to the taxpayers and they have the right to demand good performance for the money taken from them. Parents who pay taxes have the right to take their money back for poor performance. I know the rural areas do not have much choice on what schools are available, but if they are willing to make the drive to go to a private or parochial school, then they should be able to take their tax money back to pay for it.
Well that lack of pay is directly related to the teacher shortage in Texas. Definitely not the only reason. If the state is going to try and fix the teacher shortage that number must increase. There are great private schools out there and there are underperforming public schools. Public schools educate the masses we don’t get to pick and choose if they are in district. All I’m saying if we are going to divert money we should all have to follow the same rules. If you have a problem with public schools your problem should be with the politicians that have allowed or created those problems. Get rid of them. I just do not believe that let’s just ignore the problem and fund schools less to fix a problem.

Those places have different cost of living. A dollar does not buy as much there as it does in Texas. I agree, there is a point where more money doesnt solve anything. There is also a point where not enough money is a hinderance to education. Agreeing on what is enough, that is tricky.

Tax money does belong to the people. I still dont know anyone opposed to school choice. I do believe any school accepting money collected or would be collected as taxes should have all the same legal requirements as public schools do. Those laws were created to protect the students even the ones described by TexasLonghorn75. A school shouldn't get to evade those laws or those students when they start accepting revenue through the state. If those schools are really that good, then they should look forward to proving it in the state accountability system with the same student population and requirements the neighboring public school is working with.

In other states there is research that suggests private school tuition will go up the same amount as the voucher in three years and parents will still have the same out of pocket expenses. The school owners/overseers know how much their market can bear in out of pocket expenses.

Private schools. My kids are in public schools, but I absolutely want private schools to exist. I have been associated with children of private schools. I dont find many of them to be wealthy or arrogant and can think of plenty that are not middle class either. They make that choice for reasons Coach Sanderson mentions. My fear in private schools accepting some sort of voucher is this: For now, the government just lets you use that money. When the schools get to a point they depend on the money....the government will start telling you how to run your school with their money. Just ask all the "Independent" public school districts. The big ones in particular who are hamstrung to handle the problems in an effective way. Ask Houston "Independent" school district who is watching a political appointee take over their district required by law due to a HS that is no longer failing and hasnt been for a couple years. For one campus out of 274.

I really appreciate the people discussing here. Many different opinions but no personnel cheap shots. We should be teaching our kids how to have difficult conversations instead of avoiding religion and politics. It has led me to alter some of my perspectives on this matter.

Didn't mean to start no sh*t storm here. The article made me wonder about how diverting state funds to private schools might cause small public schools to abandon programs, including football, or even eventually close/consolidate.

Didn't mean to start no sh*t storm here. The article made me wonder about how diverting state funds to private schools might cause small public schools to abandon programs, including football, or even eventually close/consolidate.
Most people will understand your concern on the school voucher program but looks like we are in a time of change again. The state funds you refer to are the taxpayer's funds. Without all of us good hearted taxpayers there wouldn't be any state funds. It's only natural to look at funding where the taxpayers are impowered not the government or the school board. And we haven't mentioned the thousands of families in Texas who homeschool. It's a lot more than most people realize. They are paying their share of property taxes and footing the bill for educational materials on their own dime. Of course, that's their choice too.

Last edited:
I certainly understand the property tax part of the equation. But we the people have a several million or billion dollar budget surplus, controlled by our legislators. And our teachers remain as some of the lowest paid in the nation. Are our children, and grand children's education not our highest priority?

And our teachers remain as some of the lowest paid in the nation. Are our children, and grand children's education not our highest priority?

Ok I'll be the bad guy. Teachers have always been one of the lowest paying jobs. Why is it a big deal now? Did our educations suffer because of it when we were in school? What ever happened to the ones who go into teaching to make a difference regardless of the paycheck? It's not like teaching being a low paying job is new. They knew it before going to school so maybe if they didn't want a lower paying job they should have went to school for something else if it's about the money.

Also curious have you ever met a teacher living in poverty? All the ones I know are doing pretty well for themselves. I know families where both parents are teachers are they live great lives financially.

I have a son about to start his last year in college and will then be a teacher and hopefully a coach somewhere. He knows what the pay will be. He knows he won't become a rich man teaching but he chose that career anyways. I have a feeling he'll be able to provide for his family just fine and he'll get to spend all summer with his kids every year. I regret not doing the same when I had the chance myself, even knowing what the pay is.

Ok I'll be the bad guy. Teachers have always been one of the lowest paying jobs. Why is it a big deal now? Did our educations suffer because of it when we were in school? What ever happened to the ones who go into teaching to make a difference regardless of the paycheck? It's not like teaching being a low paying job is new. They knew it before going to school so maybe if they didn't want a lower paying job they should have went to school for something else if it's about the money.

Also curious have you ever met a teacher living in poverty? All the ones I know are doing pretty well for themselves. I know families where both parents are teachers are they live great lives financially.

I have a son about to start his last year in college and will then be a teacher and hopefully a coach somewhere. He knows what the pay will be. He knows he won't become a rich man teaching but he chose that career anyways. I have a feeling he'll be able to provide for his family just fine and he'll get to spend all summer with his kids every year. I regret not doing the same when I had the chance myself, even knowing what the pay is.
It's not specifically a matter of the fiscal amount. The average salary 20 years ago was low, but the expectations, liability, and responsibility have grown exponentially, while the compensation has remained stagnate and not adjusting at the same rate. You're right, when we signed on to teach, we knew what we were going to make, and what we were expected to do to "earn" that check. But you can't consistently change that arrangement on one side only and expect the other side to not at least question it.

Back