Robert Lee "cutting sports"?

Ok I'll be the bad guy. Teachers have always been one of the lowest paying jobs. Why is it a big deal now? Did our educations suffer because of it when we were in school? What ever happened to the ones who go into teaching to make a difference regardless of the paycheck? It's not like teaching being a low paying job is new. They knew it before going to school so maybe if they didn't want a lower paying job they should have went to school for something else if it's about the money.

Also curious have you ever met a teacher living in poverty? All the ones I know are doing pretty well for themselves. I know families where both parents are teachers are they live great lives financially.

I have a son about to start his last year in college and will then be a teacher and hopefully a coach somewhere. He knows what the pay will be. He knows he won't become a rich man teaching but he chose that career anyways. I have a feeling he'll be able to provide for his family just fine and he'll get to spend all summer with his kids every year. I regret not doing the same when I had the chance myself, even knowing what the pay is.
If he’s going to coach, he definitely won’t get to spend the all summer with his kids. The responsibilities of teachers and coaches has increased greatly in just the past 5 or so years

You're right, when we signed on to teach, we knew what we were going to make, and what we were expected to do to "earn" that check. But you can't consistently change that arrangement on one side only and expect the other side to not at least question it.
I also wouldn't expect someone to keep doing a job they weren't happy doing or one that wasn't worth the pay but here we are.

If he’s going to coach, he definitely won’t get to spend the all summer with his kids. The responsibilities of teachers and coaches has increased greatly in just the past 5 or so years
Your school must be putting a lot more work on you than the schools of the coaches that I know personally. I guess I'll just hope my son doesn't end up with a job there. If he does I couldn't' imagine he'd be there long though.

And the irony of the shortage is there are tons of people who have stayed, and yet chastised for even mentioning the topic of compensation. If everyone left their jobs because they were upset, who would ever work? Many teachers have chosen to stay and continue believing in the educational process. I for one am not leaving the profession, but it doesn't mean I'm blind to a brewing problem.

And the irony of the shortage is there are tons of people who have stayed, and yet chastised for even mentioning the topic of compensation. If everyone left their jobs because they were upset, who would ever work? Many teachers have chosen to stay and continue believing in the educational process. I for one am not leaving the profession, but it doesn't mean I'm blind to a brewing problem.
Absolutely! There are always going to be teachers that do it because it is their calling. The problem is that is all you’re getting now. The shortage is real and is probably one of the biggest threats there is to our kids and future generations. You’re right I knew what I signed up for and I’m here to stay. The sad thing is I tell my kids to go find something that pays well for the same or less work. We should be recruiting people to the profession but the state is running them off. If we care about our kids education we have to fix it. That’s not necessarily salary. We are technically not state employees but we are. We should be treated as such. Our insurance is terrible the state could start by switching teachers to ERS from TRS. Like every other state employee.

Ok I'll be the bad guy. Teachers have always been one of the lowest paying jobs. Why is it a big deal now? Did our educations suffer because of it when we were in school? What ever happened to the ones who go into teaching to make a difference regardless of the paycheck? It's not like teaching being a low paying job is new. They knew it before going to school so maybe if they didn't want a lower paying job they should have went to school for something else if it's about the money.

Also curious have you ever met a teacher living in poverty? All the ones I know are doing pretty well for themselves. I know families where both parents are teachers are they live great lives financially.

I have a son about to start his last year in college and will then be a teacher and hopefully a coach somewhere. He knows what the pay will be. He knows he won't become a rich man teaching but he chose that career anyways. I have a feeling he'll be able to provide for his family just fine and he'll get to spend all summer with his kids every year. I regret not doing the same when I had the chance myself, even knowing what the pay is.

I’ll be the bad guy here, will he be relying on daddy’s money so to speak when it comes to financial issues? Some teachers and coaches don’t have that “extra income,” so to speak. Inflation has made things pretty tough but it is what it is. A pay bump would be awesome but I’m not expecting anything. Plus this is not the same era when you were in school…

Absolutely! There are always going to be teachers that do it because it is their calling. The problem is that is all you’re getting now. The shortage is real and is probably one of the biggest threats there is to our kids and future generations. You’re right I knew what I signed up for and I’m here to stay. The sad thing is I tell my kids to go find something that pays well for the same or less work. We should be recruiting people to the profession but the state is running them off. If we care about our kids education we have to fix it. That’s not necessarily salary. We are technically not state employees but we are. We should be treated as such. Our insurance is terrible the state could start by switching teachers to ERS from TRS. Like every other state employee.
Coaches work full-time, after hours. Basically two jobs. Teachers don't.

Hence the historic teacher shortage we are experiencing now.

Probably has a lot to do with social media and how everyone online is telling young people not to go into teaching because it's such a horrible job.

By the way in case you didn't notice all jobs are experiencing difficulty hiring. Not just teachers.

I’ll be the bad guy here, will he be relying on daddy’s money so to speak when it comes to financial issues? Some teachers and coaches don’t have that “extra income,” so to speak. Inflation has made things pretty tough but it is what it is. A pay bump would be awesome but I’m not expecting anything. Plus this is not the same era when you were in school…

He won't need it. He knows how to live within his means.

Coaches work full-time, after hours. Basically two jobs. Teachers don't.

If only they got paid an extra bit of money for that you know as an incentive or something.

Probably has a lot to do with social media and how everyone online is telling young people not to go into teaching because it's such a horrible job.

By the way in case you didn't notice all jobs are experiencing difficulty hiring. Not just teachers.
Could be, and that would account for the lower new hire numbers to the profession. With that said, the social media theory doesn't really fly for the mass exodus of the veteran teachers leaving the profession. As one of those veteran teachers / coaches, from my perspective, the reasons seem to be because of the lack of accountability from within the home, more commonly a single parent home. The lack of fathers involved in the home have become astronomical, and although I can't put it all on that, it is by far one of the top reasons there are so many "mental" and discipline issues. To equal that, weak administration that give into parents that are focused on their own selfish personal agendas. Sadly, the strong administration are handcuffed by government policies and procedures that are just atrocious. Lastly, God has been taken out of our school's. Personally, I feel that this is the number one issue. It isn't hard to draw a line between the decline of the classroom from the time we had God in our schools to the point we are now, where God has been cast out of our classrooms.

Sure, other jobs are experiencing hiring issues, but none of those jobs are more important than those who invest in educating our youth. Without proper education, the job issue will only get worse.

I've known teachers who have, yes. Gonna laugh react to this post, too? Grow up.
...and Saturdays, and often times Sunday? Oh yea, all summer as well? The comparison is nowhere close, but it is what it is. Jon Gruden once said, "You have got to love the deepest, darkest part of coaching because it is most often, an unappreciated life grind."

quote-there-are-two-things-every-man-in-america-thinks-he-can-do-work-a-grill-and-coach-football-greg-schiano-58-19-67.jpg

...and Saturdays, and often times Sunday? Oh yea, all summer as well? The comparison is nowhere close, but it is what it is. Jon Gruden once said, "You have got to love the deepest, darkest part of coaching because it is most often, an unappreciated life grind."
I'm not trying to take anything away from coaches, but yes, I have known teachers who have done all that. It's almost like it's not always the same experience for every situation. A sort of "your mileage may vary" situation. Hmm...

I know a teacher who drove 100 miles round trip every day, stayed at the school until 6:00 most days, and yes, she did come in on some Saturdays and Sundays. Is it that way for all teachers? No, but I never said it was.

I'm not trying to take anything away from coaches, but yes, I have known teachers who have done all that. It's almost like it's not always the same experience for every situation. A sort of "your mileage may vary" situation. Hmm...

I know a teacher who drove 100 miles round trip every day, stayed at the school until 6:00 most days, and yes, she did come in on some Saturdays and Sundays. Is it that way for all teachers? No, but I never said it was.
Like you, it was never stated that no teacher does that. I suppose, fortunately, there is always a minority that go above and beyond. However, the facts are that the majority of coaches do carry that load. It's the misnomer that just because "most" teachers get the summers and weekends off, so do coaches. With that said, it's part of the occupational hazard of being a coach. If a coach actually listened to all the critics and negativity, he/she wouldn't be worth their salt.

I've known teachers who have, yes. Gonna laugh react to this post, too? Grow up.
The demand for more pay, 4 day work weeks while teachers have fall break, Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, holidays off, spring break, snow days, and summers off. You do realize that coaches would still have to work a 5-6-7 day week plus games, watch/edit/transfer film for their next opponents/ get stats in, wash jerseys/pants/gurdles etc... plus being a TEACHER on top of all of that. Not all coaches are P.E. teachers. Also, coaches are still putting in work during summer. Just saying!

Back