Report from Lambeau (Pictures aded)

freeagent

Six-man pro
Will write a little more later, but it sure was COLD in Lambeau last night, and really got cold around 9:00 p.m.

The Giants just outplayed the Packers ... like in 6-man, if you control the line of scrimmage, hold on to the ball, and minimize giving up the big play or turnover, you usually win.

I gotta catch a flight out of Milwaukee in about three hours; my camera didn't work (not because of the cold), but I got some pictures coming by e-mail ... caught a couple tailgate parties before the game and I'll have to tell you about the special guest I met at one of them ...

John
Mon 1/21 9:13 AM

After Sunday's Packer loss to the Giants I was so depressed I called Lifeline.

I got one of those call centers in Pakistan. I told them I was suicidal.

They got all excited and asked if I could drive a truck.

bbarker29":1m8bf3vt said:
lg.....that was good. you think Favre will come back?

Yes ... I will try and get around to posting pictures and recollections from the trip later this week, once I finish my mourning period ...

John

John,<b>IF Crayton only catch's the one pass across the middle</b>.

On TV It sure looked like the packer fans were really depressed,While the Few Giants fans stayed,Hollaring and Screaming at Howie and Jimmy,Terry Bradshaw was the only one of the announcers to the pick NY,But he did pick the Cowboys the week before.

Some images from Lambeau Field - January 20. For those of you who don't know, I grew up about 40 miles from the Shrine of Professional Football. In 1965, my mother put us on the waiting list for Packer season tickets ... in 1990, we got to the top of the list. Today, that list is over 70,000 names (not tickets) long. At current rates, the guy at the end of the list has a 1,000 year wait.

I flew up on Saturday to Milwaukee and drove up to the Green Bay area. Hotels, flights and car rentals in Green Bay weren't available ... there were a lot of folks on my flight (from Denver) on their way to the game.

As reported, it was cold ... about 0 at kickoff with -23 windchill. I was dressed like Nanook of the North ... two pairs wool socks (with toe warmer) in insulated hunting boots. Thermal long-johns, jeans and sweat pants; two undershirts, a fleece lined demin shirt and down jacket, thinsulate gloves with hand warmers, and two caps.

Seems I could handle cold better when I was younger ... I went to the 1996 (Jan 97) NFC Title in 3 degree weather and was really warm by the end of the game. But they must not make warm weather stuff like they used to ...

Lambeau has been renovated in the last five years, with more seats and new concorses (and lots of restrooms). At halftime, I headed over to the Atrium area (enclosed and heated) to warm up for a few minutes.

Anyway, back to the pregame. I went to the game with an attorney friend and his son, my sister, and two other attorney friends of my friend.

2229972656_ff93e4bfdf_m.jpg

Here's most of us at a pregame tailgate party across the street from Lambeau. I'm the second from the left (my sister is wearing the orange outfit). If you grabbed a beer, it turned into slush pretty quick. I was amazed to see a guy hawking ice to the other tailgate parties before the game. The tailgate party next to this one was enclosed with heaters ... and a TV with the Patriots-Chargers game playing

2229972732_92aedd2e98_m.jpg

Here I am, holding a thermometer. It's 2 degrees (approx. 330 pm)

2229972806_d5fd2d8724_m.jpg

After we left the first tailgate party, we went to a second party. This one was on the Lambeau grounds. Most of the tailgate parties are on the east and south sides of Lambeau, but this one was in the northwest corner, about 50 yards from the entrance.

Let's just say that most mere mortals aren't allowed to tailgate in this area, but this tailgater was a local Circuit Court Judge, Donald Zuidmulder, who also happens to be a member of the Packers Board of Directors (the 45-member board that manages the team).

During the previous week, one of my friend's attorney pals appeared in the Judge's court and was invited to stop by the tailgate party on Sunday. The judge also mentioned that a special guest was coming to his tailgate party, but he couldn't tell who he was for security reasons.

So, we get to the tailgate party about 415 or so and a few minutes later, I notice a couple security guys looking at the judge's tent. A middle aged gentleman and his son (about 8-10 years old) come in and the Judge welcomes his friend. My friend goes to the security guy and says, "Pardon me for being stupid, but who is that guy?"

The security guy tells him, "That's John Roberts, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court." (He's the guy in the red parka; Judge Zuidmueller is in the Packers parka). My attorney friends act like he's some sort of rock star (I guess to attorneys he would be). I didn't get a chance to meet him personally, but I can tell folks that I partied with the Chief Justice at the Packer game.

Reminds me of the time I slept with Miss Texas ... nah, I won't tell that story today.

2229181419_fbb0ac7702_m.jpg

2229181501_54f41e906c_m.jpg

2229181593_06562a2947_m.jpg

2229972568_1182ba5f02_m.jpg

The remaining pictures are from our seats in Section 133. If you saw the game, we're near the tunnel where the Packers take the field. We are on the visitors side of the field, but Lambeau really doesn't have many bad seats.

The line of folks in yellow jackets from the tunnel is a fan honor guard. It is a special honor to be selected to stand there to welcome the Packers on the field.

My attorney friend told me a story for that game. He got an e-mail from another attorney telling how his dad who had been a season ticket holder for years had just been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer and that Sunday's game would probably be the last game his father would attend. In fact, his doctors wanted him to start chemo on Thursday, but dad insisted that he was going to the Packer game and he wouldn't be able to start until Monday.

My friend knows the legal counsel for the Packers (Green Bay IS a small town) and told him the story. The Packers attorney said he thought he could do something but wasn't sure, since the NFL runs a lot of the playoff game events. A few hours later, he calls my friend and tells him that he and his father would be invited to stand in the fan honor guard and get sideline passes for the NFC Championship Game.

The guy tells my friend that he was going to suprise his dad when they got to the game and then tell him they were going down to the field.

Back to the cold ... fans are pretty well packed into the stands -- let's just say that the guy who marked the numbers on the benches didn't plan for too many wide-loads, if you know what I mean. With everyone well padded, you were always close to your neighbor. The joke was that if somebody left then there was a cold air pocket and it got cold.

As for the game, well, you all saw it. The Packers were pretty flat, and never got the ground game going -- lots of third and longs. Farve had good protection, but the feeling we had was that the Giants did a great job of protecting the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

The FG try at the end of regulation had the fans holding their breath, but once we saw the snap was high, we knew it was no good. And when the Packers won the toss for the overtime, just about 72,000 folks in Lambeau were planning their Super Bowl trips or parties.

Once the Giants got the interception, we all knew that there was no chance that the Giants would miss a third field goal in a row. And we were back at my friend's house on the other side of Green Bay by 10 pm.

And I was in a motel room in Milwaukee by 2 am, following lots of traffic going down I-43, catching a noon flight back to Texas ... with snow falling in Milwaukee.

John

hey....just wondering......where is the picture of when tynes hits that field goal that sent all the cheeseheads home crying?? hahaha

puha":6xg9qkl1 said:
hey....just wondering......where is the picture of when tynes hits that field goal that sent all the cheeseheads home crying?? hahaha

About a thousand cameras were smashed on the cement of Lambeau Field stands at that moment ...

John, can you find room in your heart to forgive the Giants now that they knocked off the Pats? Although it wouldv'e been even sweeter to see Brett Favre do it...

Barnstormer":2cajwwjy said:
John, can you find room in your heart to forgive the Giants now that they knocked off the Pats? Although it wouldv'e been even sweeter to see Brett Favre do it...

It was a great game. Part of me wanted to see the Pats go 19-0 and part of me wanted to see the Giants do it, but the best part was that I could sit and watch it and see a great game, not worrying about who won or lost.

And I think that first Bud Light commercial (where the guy set everything on fire) was the best ...

As you coaches always say ... Wait till next year!

lifegatesports":26ossaan said:
Barnstormer":26ossaan said:

It was a great game. Part of me wanted to see the Pats go 19-0 and part of me wanted to see the Giants do it, but the best part was that I could sit and watch it and see a great game, not worrying about who won or lost.

And I think that first Bud Light commercial (where the guy set everything on fire) was the best ...

As you coaches always say ... Wait till next year!

That one was almost as good as the one several years ago with the candle and the farting horse..... :D

Old Bearkat":2sj1yv7h said:
That one was almost as good as the one several years ago with the candle and the farting horse..... :D

Which reminds me ... just before the holidays, one of the song leaders at our Church used the word "fart" in a litugurical sense for the first time I had ever heard it ... something about setting the picture of the smells of the stable in Bethlehem.

Just had never heard that word used in Church without someone getting their mouth washed out with soap.

Back