Question on Helmets

Coach Adams

Six-man fan
Just curious what type of helmets everyone uses? I know Virgina Techhttp://www.sbes.vt.edu/nid.php recently released their ratings from their research on reducing the risk of concussions. They tested 15 helmet styles from various brands including Riddell, Rawlings, Schutt, Xenith, and Adams. Riddell's newest helmet the 360, Rawlings newest helmet the Quantum Plus, and Riddell Revo Speed ranked as the top three. They were followed by the Schutt ION 4D and Schutt DNA Pro+.

Again what are thoughts on the helmets you use, what have you heard about others, and what do you think of the Virgina Tech research?

Question? Maybe I dreamed this, but don't coaches now have to provide parents with a written history of the helmet they are wearing and when it was recertified and all? Wow.

Round Rock Christian will be getting about 17-20 of the Xenith helmets for the upcoming year. Had several kids on JH football team wear them last year and they could not say enough good things about the helmet. Seems to me that Xenith is addressing the issues better than the other companies are at this time. just my opinion.

Living Stones purchased the Riddell 360 helmets. Kids say it feels like getting hit with pillows now. They can totally tell the difference from the old Riddell's

If I remember right from several years back, the Xeniths were runnning about $500; top of the line Ridells about $250.

Not sure who would do it, or what the methodology would be, but it would be interesting to see an injury study comparison of the major helmet makers.

What I think you'll see is more schools doing annual as opposed to bi-annual helmet reconditionings.

Sounds like the price of Xeniths have dropped precipitously ... I remember attending a presentation at the TAPPS meeting where the head honcho from Xenith (a former Harvard QB who became a physician and decided to start the helmet company, I thinK) was talking about the product ... he mentioned that it was significantly higher than a normal helmet and the $500 number stuck in my head (but then again, I suffer from Irish Alzheimers ... that's where you forget everything but the grudges).

His idea was to encourage the parents to buy the helmet (paying 1/4 of the cost each year) and keeping the helmet at the end of their football days at your high school. Cripes, it's nice to see something that's gone down in price (and gas doesn't count ... oh, by the way, there was a big gas price war in New Braunfels going on with the opening of the new Buc-ees convenience joint).

As for tracking each helmet's use, I doubt most schools do that. However, it wouldn't be difficult to set up a simple excel spreadsheet, putting an inventory number on each helmet and tracking its use ... conceptually, it's no different than tracking a textbook used by a kid, and adding any service (including reconditioning) as it was performed. Again, I expect you'll see more annual reconditioning of helmet than the currently accepted standard of bi-annual reconditiong.

I remember when we first bought our helmets in 2003 starting the program, the guy from Riddell (God rest his soul, he's passed away a few years back) told me that all the local public schools did bi-annual reconditioning but some of the larger private schools did it every year.

Coach you are correct. Starting next year we would have to provide parents with a manufacture date and/or recondition record if they request it. Sec 33.094 of the Texas education code. I started doing it this year. Takes some time. Fortunately no concussions this year but we better have our ducks in a row...by the way, my parents moved to Angelo last week. You'll have to look the old farts up...

Back