question about private schools

idontknow43

11-man fan
this is probably a dumb question, but do the private schools require a degree for coaches? im working on getting my degree now but i was just curious..

greyhoundman wrote:
> this is probably a dumb question, but do the private schools require a
> degree for coaches? im working on getting my degree now but i was just
> curious..

Each private school makes its own rules for coaching hires. Most private schools are accredited by some agency (there are several that accredit private schools, some based with religious denominations, others not ... many of the major ones are recognized by the Texas Education Agency through a cooperative program...forget the name of it).

When I was AD, I liked to have some of our coaches as school faculty, but there were others we just couldn't fill from the staff.

We have hired folks in college working on degrees to coach teams. Some of these folks have ended up with solid jobs at UIL schools (I can think of at least one 3A varsity volleyball coach, at least one 2A coach, and a 5A baskebtall varsity head coach that started off here at Lifegate). Unlike public schools, private schools in Texas (and many public schools elsewhere in the country) can hire non-staff members to coach teams (on a part-time, stipend or volunteer basis).

Chances are, you will have to meet with the principal and/or school board/church leadership and go through an interview process similiar to that which teachers will go through. Under Texas law, the school must perform a background check to determine you are not restricted from access with children (ie, you're not on the Texas sex offenders registry).

Of course, any recommendations, training or certifications that you can get are helpful. The National Federation of High School Associations (nfhslearn.org) has several simple courses on fundamentals of coaching, athletic first aid, concussion awareness (a free course), and sport-specific topics. I think each of these courses may cost something like $50 or so (although your college may offer similiar courses, so if you've taken them, you can substitute them). I'd have that information available on a resume/c.v. that you can show to any school that you are serious about coaching and not just looking for an excuse to hang around the gym or football field and have a good time.

Just remember one thing ... when you are a coach, you are held to a higher standard. You're not expected to live the life of a cloistered nun or a monk, but I can show you all sorts of stories in the papers and on TV that start something like this, "Joe Blow, a coach at Acme Private (or Public) High School was arrested last night attempting to ... (insert name of crime, usually sexually or drug-involved here). Your indiscretion is a black mark on the school who hires you, either full-time or part-time. Understand that at the start and things will be a whole lot better for both you and the school.

(Tried to merge these, but instead I'll just copy and paste Coach Ware's comments):

Coach Ware
6-Man Fan

Re: question about private schools

greyhoundman,

If the Private School is accredited, they must have degree'd teachers.
To coach in the private school, you DO NOT have to have a degree (meaning part-time coaches)....

Some coaches that are full-time do have degree's and they teach in a classroom setting and coach athletics.

But to answer your question,: NO you do not have to have a degree to COACH in a private school.
But if you get hired by an accredited school, YOU MUST HAVE A DEGREE TO TEACH THERE...

Not trying to be rude but,
where would one get just a degree in "Coaching"?

Just wondering if I missed it or it was new.
For example:
Tarleton didn't have an Ath. Trainers certification/degree prog.
when I was there and they do now.
So don't go ballistic on me for seeking clarification.
(You know who you are).

dogface, im getting my degree in kinesiology with all level-certification and level 8-12 teachers certificate. You're right there isnt just a coaching degree that i know of. I wouldnt go ballistic on you, it was just a question i dont mind answering questions.

You do not need a degree to just coach at a private school unless the school would like you to teach a class. I coached for 3 years in a private school and have now moved on to public schools. It is a great learning experience and take it all in because I know that my 3 years in a private school setting really was very influential in my career now. good luck to you and I hope that you are successful in your search.

Dogface wrote:
> Not trying to be rude but,
> where would one get just a degree in "Coaching"?
>
> Just wondering if I missed it or it was new.
> For example:
> Tarleton didn't have an Ath. Trainers certification/degree prog.
> when I was there and they do now.
> So don't go ballistic on me for seeking clarification.
> (You know who you are).

just get a job somewhere as a full time maintenence man and you can be a coach if theyll let ya, and then you dont need a degree. However, it might cut into your time on here.

greyhoundman-I wasn't implying that you would go ballistic.
There are others.

Bottomline- It's prolly harder to get a real maint. man job than a HFC.

The least important thing about coaching
is knowing all about the sport itself.
The most important thing about coaching
is knowing all about the athletes.
Most guys don't know this.

The Bottom Line wrote:
> just get a job somewhere as a full time maintenence man and you can be a coach if
> theyll let ya, and then you dont need a degree. However, it might cut into your time
> on here.

Problem is, if you are an hourly employee of a school district, they have to pay you for coaching on an hourly basis (including overtime). As a salaried employee (ie, teacher), they can pay you a stipend. Next season, keep track of your hours spent coaching and then figure it at minimum wage (7.25) plus 50% OT differential (approx. 11.00, plus employer paid taxes). You might find that the stipend isn't that much at all.

And you can't agree to do the coaching for a stipend and your maintenance job for an hourly wage. The wage-and-hour division doesn't like that and they can fine the employer a extra bit of change.

Not sure if the district could make the maintenance job a salaried position (especially if there are multiple people in the same position on an hourly basis).

I've never been clear on why so many seem to think
it takes so much of a time investment to be a great coach.
The guys I've observed wasted ginormous amounts of time
because their "experience" told them to do it that way.
The great John Wooden's practices only lasted 1 1/2 hrs.
The diff was that his time was very well spent.

If you're talking 5 hr. bus rides that's different.
That's not coachin'
that's just hangin out with tha boys!
And if you don't like the pay for that
then perhaps,
you don't belong in youth ministry.

lifegatesports wrote:
> The Bottom Line wrote:
> > Not sure if the district could make the maintenance job a salaried position
> (especially if there are multiple people in the same position on an hourly basis).

sure you can, if one has 5 kids, and theyre studs, then that automatically makes them more indispensible than those that dont ;)

The Bottom Line wrote:
> lifegatesports wrote:
> > The Bottom Line wrote:
> > > Not sure if the district could make the maintenance job a salaried position
> > (especially if there are multiple people in the same position on an hourly
> basis).
>
> sure you can, if one has 5 kids, and theyre studs, then that automatically makes them
> more indispensible than those that dont ;)

But then your job will be at Converse Judson HS ... and momma will also get a cafeteria job, so employment wise, it will be a two-fer.

Back