Predicted to be 45'd in Playoffs ... but Won!

PopRay

11-man fan
Congratulations to Savoy...who was predicted to be 45'd by Gordon last night in round two...but they surprised everyone on this board and beat Gordon.

With the conditions of that game (30 degree wind chill with a driving rain and 40+ mph winds and a soaked turf) it is safe to say that you pretty much throw a lot of things that you do out the window and try to hang on to the ball and make positive yards. I think there were easily 20 fumbles collectively in the first half. Hats off to Savoy for being able to make the most of the situation.

Really I can see where any game can go hay wire in those conditions. The rain and cold was unreal when it hit Ft. Worth. I need to add the wind. It was anyone's game.

SixFan19":1s9jwlwh said:
With the conditions of that game (30 degree wind chill with a driving rain and 40+ mph winds and a soaked turf) it is safe to say that you pretty much throw a lot of things that you do out the window and try to hang on to the ball and make positive yards. I think there were easily 20 fumbles collectively in the first half. Hats off to Savoy for being able to make the most of the situation.

The Power game and hanging on to the football usually dictate the victor in these contests....

To give those that weren't there an idea of the conditions...

It was 80 degrees when we left for the game. A line of storms moved through Springtown dumping a ton of rain on the Stadium. The lightening storm knocked out the stadium power for about 30 minuets around 6:30PM the facility was flooded from the the rain, which started around 6PM and only let up sometime around the 4th quarter. By the time the facility was cleared for football, around 8:30 the six-man out of bounds lines were gone and had to be repainted. The temperature dropped from the upper 70s to 40 with a wind chill of 30 and the added bonus of a fierce wind out of the north that never let up the entire game. By the time of kickoff (9PM) the sideline paint was about 80% gone.. which ended up being 99% gone a few minuets into the game due to the continuing downpour. I saw players from both sides lose the ball while standing still almost as if they couldn't feel it in their hands. Savoy had a big play on a recovered fumble and the player took off for the end zone with no one around and the ball literally falls out of his hands on the way. That's how it was the entire first half for both sides. More fumbles than I have ever seen in any football game, junior high included. Players also struggled with sideline plays in being able to stay in bounds. I thought the refs did a good job of enforcing the sidelines but it was a disadvantage for the players and coaches who generally do well using the sideline on offense.

Savoy was able to get a player free twice to the end zone in the first half, one of those was called back due to a penalty. The score was 8-0 at the end of 2 quarters and I was surprised there was any scoring at all as much as both teams struggled. I believe Savoy attempted 2 punts in the game and one was punted in the wind for a total of 2 yards as the wind picked it up and blew it backwards. Both teams were able to move the ball a little better in the second half but nothing came easy. I can only imagine how tough it was being soaking wet and being blasted by the cold while trying to concentrate on the task at hand. Savoy won that battle, and that was the biggest hurdle of the game. The conditions took both teams out of their element and made for a sloppy game that at times hardly resembled football.

Good luck to Savoy as they move farther in the playoffs.

The weather will definitely be a factor tonight. It will be a great equalizer, which may help a weaker team win. But then again, if the weaker team wins, then they earned it by holding on to the ball better. I guess you can say, "The best team won on that particular night." Good luck to all teams tonight.

Doc thats true. I hate it when the wind is blowing hard and having rain come down in your face. This was a tough football game and hopefully it won't be as bad tonight as it was last night. I'm glad RS & Calvert moved their game to Sat. at 4. But I've heard we have bad weather all the way thru Monday.

Channel 5 news did a live report from the game,you could see
the fans all huddled under the pressbox,it did indeed did look bad

I ran outside before the rain got here, bundled up to feed about 10 wild cats. My trip right back into the house was prolonged because of the cats under my feet. As soon as the food was dumped I was out of there, fast. I couldn't take it.

SixFan19":29eq9yq0 said:
To give those that weren't there an idea of the conditions...

It was 80 degrees when we left for the game. A line of storms moved through Springtown dumping a ton of rain on the Stadium. The lightening storm knocked out the stadium power for about 30 minuets around 6:30PM the facility was flooded from the the rain, which started around 6PM and only let up sometime around the 4th quarter. By the time the facility was cleared for football, around 8:30 the six-man out of bounds lines were gone and had to be repainted. The temperature dropped from the upper 70s to 40 with a wind chill of 30 and the added bonus of a fierce wind out of the north that never let up the entire game. By the time of kickoff (9PM) the sideline paint was about 80% gone.. which ended up being 99% gone a few minuets into the game due to the continuing downpour. I saw players from both sides lose the ball while standing still almost as if they couldn't feel it in their hands. Savoy had a big play on a recovered fumble and the player took off for the end zone with no one around and the ball literally falls out of his hands on the way. That's how it was the entire first half for both sides. More fumbles than I have ever seen in any football game, junior high included. Players also struggled with sideline plays in being able to stay in bounds. I thought the refs did a good job of enforcing the sidelines but it was a disadvantage for the players and coaches who generally do well using the sideline on offense.

Savoy was able to get a player free twice to the end zone in the first half, one of those was called back due to a penalty. The score was 8-0 at the end of 2 quarters and I was surprised there was any scoring at all as much as both teams struggled. I believe Savoy attempted 2 punts in the game and one was punted in the wind for a total of 2 yards as the wind picked it up and blew it backwards. Both teams were able to move the ball a little better in the second half but nothing came easy. I can only imagine how tough it was being soaking wet and being blasted by the cold while trying to concentrate on the task at hand. Savoy won that battle, and that was the biggest hurdle of the game. The conditions took both teams out of their element and made for a sloppy game that at times hardly resembled football.

Good luck to Savoy as they move farther in the playoffs.
Miserable conditions.
Made me think of an old SWC game (except for the cold and it wasn't for the whole game)
Notice all the big time names.
"A battle of Top 10-teams occurred in College Station in 1956 when the Jim Swink-led Frogs took on Bear Bryant and his John David Crow-led Aggies. The fourth quarter brought a hurricane-like storm to Kyle Field as the Aggies won, 7-6. Several punches at the Ags’ goal line by Swink were ruled short by the refs, although Frog fans will forever think otherwise. Aggies were on probation that year and TCU hosted Syracuse and Jim Brown in the Cotton Bowl and won, 28-27." - See more at: http://www.magazine.tcu.edu/Magazine/Ar ... RveTz.dpuf

Im sorry if I offend anyone but its a joke that Savoy is in the 3rd round! I watched them against Rochelle earlier in the year and Rochelle scored at will 54-8. Rochelle didn't even make it out of their district. May or Blum will end it at half against them next week.

Back