Pick the Champion - Division II

Pick The State Champion

• Duncanville Christway vs

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Brenham Christian

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a Christway fan and wish them well vs Brenham, but the state championship game was last week when Seguin Lifegate battled Brenham. Whoever won that game would win state. Brenham wins a tough game and then 45's an undefeated Tyler street team who handily defeated Christway a few weeks ago. This points to another state final blowout. Maybe there is something to the BCS after all.

old_dad":qdqzh1us said:
I'm a Christway fan and wish them well vs Brenham, but the state championship game was last week when Seguin Lifegate battled Brenham. Whoever won that game would win state. Brenham wins a tough game and then 45's an undefeated Tyler street team who handily defeated Christway a few weeks ago. This points to another state final blowout. Maybe there is something to the BCS after all.

Thanks, pop.

It's BCA, not BCS

We watched the Duncanville team last night - I think maybe you guys are underestimating them. They were very good. I assure you that BCA will not underestimate their abilities next week.

6manmomma":23t0w99x said:
It's BCA, not BCS

We watched the Duncanville team last night - I think maybe you guys are underestimating them. They were very good. I assure you that BCA will not underestimate their abilities next week.

Mom, I think he meant BCS as in the folks that choose the college football championship teams (bowl championship series); pop thinks that the state final was here in Seguin week before last. He may have been right.

6manmomma":3fkl1awk said:
It's BCA, not BCS

As lifegatesports said, I was referring to the Bowl Championship Series that determines who plays who for the national championship, not Brenham Christian Academy.

It is regrettable that so many of the best teams (all the unbeaten teams) were on one side of the bracket this year in Division II.

I also have watched Christway play this year - quite a few times. I saw them play vs. Dallas Tyler Street and they fought hard, but still lost that game by a significant margin. It is using that game as a benchmark vs the 50 point win by BCA over Tyler Street that makes me think that Christway will come back from Moody with it's second "second place" medal in as many years after being eliminated by the mercy rule in the state championship game.

Saying all this, I did watch an undefeated St. Alban's team get stomped by a Happy Hill team that had lost by 40 points to that same St. Alban's team earlier in the year in the 2002 Division II TAPPS state championship game . Anything can happen. So while I expect the worst, I hope for the best.

To the gentlemen down South:

I'm from the north and agree that your side of the bracket was loaded this year, no doubt. However I've watched over this postseason quite a few of you guys complain about that very problem when no so long ago it was completely reversed.

I remember a time for a few years when a Granbury, St. Albans, Glenview, Duncanville, and Dallas Covenant run was the name of the game with really only one contender being the dreaded Freddy. I'm glad that the southern teams have seemed to elevate their game and are now true contenders and destined to keep it that way. The pendulum has definitely swung to your side. Now of course Freddy has always kept the ultimate prize down south, well of course except for one year Tim, 8) but the other three teams seem to come from the North.

So how about you guys enjoy the ride that the South seems to be on and understand the bracket is never slanted to either side but it is more that you guys have elevated your game and now it's the North's turn to match you.

Leaving this division, I'd hoped to give you guys down south a little more competition but alas it was not meant to be. We will be moving into murderer's row as we slot into District II of Div-I ball. And yes that's the Greenville, Covenant, Heritage, and now Harvest Watauga district with Longview and ourselves sneeking in there. We hope to learn a lot about how to play this game and just pray we can get through our district with a playoff berth in a year or two.

God bless the D-II community and may God protect both teams in the finals. I watched both of you play and you both deserve to be there.

Kevin Harris
Fellowship Academy

old_dad":3pp3z0qh said:
It is regrettable that so many of the best teams (all the unbeaten teams) were on one side of the bracket this year in Division II.

Sometimes you are blessed by the bracket gods, sometimes you are cursed. With 5 districts, you have to have two district champs play in the second round. And this year, you got three undefeated teams in the same half of the bracket.

TAPPS does not like to do anything subjectively, thinking (rightfully so) that there could be claims of favoritism in the seeding. We all knew going in that to win the title, you had to win four games in a row. Whoever was in front of you, you had to knock them down and then go after the next guy.

Good news is next year, with four D-2 districts (all larger), the district champs should not have to meet until the semifinals.

My mistake about the BCS vs BCA thing

I sat with the grandma of #3 for Duncanville Sat. night - I asked about that Tyler Street win over Christway - she said #3 had been sick that whole week and another dad said that the team got dehydrated and they hadn't eaten like they were told to, etc. etc. They said it was a real fluke.
Duncanville looked really good Sat night - and really fast! So anyway, I think it's smart to Never underestimate your opponent, prepare for the worst, hope for the best, come ready to play and see what happens! All this talk is fun - but we can all be wrong in the end - we could lose, they could lose - we will see.

I wouldn't say it was a fluke. We did get a little beat up, and had some sickness, but that is no excuse. Tyler Street was the better team that day and just flat beat us. Injuries are apart of the game. #3 was a little ill but still rushed for over 400 yards in that game, so it didn't really affect him. lol When you only have 13 players, things like that happen. We have nothing but respect for what Brenham has accomplished, and the job that Coach Tarbutton has done this year. We look forward to the challenge.

God bless,

Jerry Hargraves
Head Football Coach
Duncanville Christway

Yes sir - it's going to be a real game!! We can't wait either. Glad you guys came out on top - I'm the (old) mom that spoke to you before the game. See you Saturday.

http://www.brenhambanner.com/articles/2 ... orts02.txt

BCA football headed to state championship game -- Eagles entering uncharted territory in first-ever trip to state finals

From Staff Reports
Brenham Banner Press
Published: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:14 PM CST

WACO, Texas - Senior Brenham Christian Academy quarterback Travis Cole ran in three touchdowns and threw one more to send BCA to the state championship game for the first time in program history.

The top-ranked Eagles had no difficulty dispatching previously undefeated Dallas Tyler Street 70-20 in a state semifinal blowout. The game was ended at halftime due to the TAPPS six-man football 45-point mercy rule.

Cole completed 4 of 10 passes for 71 yards and rushed for 152 yards before taking a break during the second quarter.

The Eagles will face Duncanville Christway (12-1) at 7 p.m. Saturday at Moody ISD Stadium in Waco for the TAPPS six-man Division II state championship. Christway is coming off a 60-14 victory over Houston Texas Christian.

“Our defense did a lot better than I thought they would,” first-year BCA (13-0) head coach Matthew Tarbutton said. “Dallas allowed 42 points at the most and played one full game all season. This shows how hard our guys worked, and we are going farther than we ever went in the program.”

Lonnie Armstrong had five carries for 52 yards and three touchdowns, and Ian Roskow ran for 42 yards in a game that saw 211 total rushing yards.

“Passing was a lot better too,” Tarbutton said. “Travis threw short passes if he was rushed and the guys were there to catch the ball.”

Kyle Armstrong caught three passes for 63 yards and one touchdown and Roskow caught two passes for 20 yards and one touchdown.

“We used more spread offense instead of the power run that we usually use,” Tarbutton said. “Their defense was more of a sit-and-watch defense and not a rushing defense. They tried to read the quarterback and pick him off.”

The Eagle defense held Dallas to 20 points with Kyle Armstrong making eight tackles, including one for a loss. He also had a fumble recovery for a defensive touchdown.

“Their offense tried to spread our guys all over the field but we rushed the quarterback and forced him to make bad decisions,” Tarbutton said.

“I am proud of all our guys. We still have another week of football, and I expect them to play their best football against Duncanville.”

I think it will be a good game... I don't think BCA has anyone that can match the speed of #3 once he is in the open he is gone. i also don't think duncanville can stop BCAs run game.. they block and run hard. i think it will be a game of offense a high scoring game. whatever team has the least amount of mistakes will win.

Tyler Street was a good team and they blew out Duncanville. Brenham crushed Tyler Street in a half. Wish it was because the Street was hurt or turned the ball over a ton of times, but that wasn't the case. They just got beat like a rented mule.

Brenham will probably score 100 in the first half unless they take a knee for the entire 2nd quarter. Duncanville is a one man team and one man teams don't win championships. If you have 30 minutes with nothing else to do, go to the game and watch Duncanville get mauled.

i think its just how different teams match up and the emotions of each team. freddy beat town east which put up a lot of points against duncanville and Texas christian 45ed freddy and then went on to 45 Arlington then only scored 14 against duncanville. Now Texas christian did have many mistake and turn overs which played a role in losing so bad.

Tylerstreet had 2-3 key players out do to grades. kids couldnt cut it in the class rooms. that might explain the complete mauling

Probably - they were tough to beat last year in the second round when we played them - score was really close as I recall, something like 44 to 40?? can't remember.

Good year for the street. i know they are trying to get more kids to come out for football enough to move them back to 11man. its funny how many kids like saving them self for basketball that pretty much ride the bench

Power50":3gh69byq said:
Good year for the street. i know they are trying to get more kids to come out for football enough to move them back to 11man. its funny how many kids like saving them self for basketball that pretty much ride the bench

Whenever I hear this "saving themselves for basketball" (or baseball or tiddly-winks, or water polo, whatever) story in a SMALL PRIVATE SCHOOL, I say it's time to wake up and smell the coffee. D-I recruiters are not knocking down the door of a Tyler Street, Lifegate, or Podunk Christian School looking for Coach K's future squad at Duke University (although yes, I have heard of small Christian school coaches trying to tell daddy that if his kid came to play for his school, he could get a basketball scholarship to Duke ... and the crazy thing is that Daddy FELL for that line of cow manure).

Memo to kids: You probably aren't going to get that full ride playing at most of our schools. Yes, you may be able to play at some college, but not many Michael Jordans or Drew Brees come around, even at the big schools.

You play at your school for the love of the sport and for the fellowship and friendship of your teammates. Basketball may be your sport, but you play football to help out the guys who are going to help you when it comes buckets season.

I've always said that at our schools, there is just one team. It goes on all school year long, the sport may change with the seasons, but there is one team.

I can buy this specialization stuff in larger schools (4A/5A UIL), but even there, it may not be an issue. During the football season, the quarterback at Seguin HS (4A) was named statewide player of the week by some group. He had a heck of a week. But guess what? That kid is playing basketball now. And in the spring, he'll be playing his favorite sport, baseball.

Back