One that got away...

That is a ridiculous and low class comment. Can parents not move during their lifetime to provide more opportunities for their family, and their own health? Get real!

Old Bearkat":2tq25dgq said:
What did San Angelo pay Daddy Rick to move there?

More than Richland Springs, apparently.

OK, now I'll apologize for stirring the pot. It was just too good of an opportunity to do so. I couldn't pass it up.

Little Doc,
Perhaps you whiffed on the tongue-in-cheek nature of the OBK post? I mean, OBK isn't one to get on the boards and stir things up, is he? :-)

oldfat&bald":c1tzrkam said:
Old Bearkat":c1tzrkam said:
What did San Angelo pay Daddy Rick to move there?

More than Richland Springs, apparently.

OK, now I'll apologize for stirring the pot. It was just too good of an opportunity to do so. I couldn't pass it up.

Old FB, you are apparently unfamiliar with this part of Central Texas. I don't know what any player's parent would be paid with to come to this area. No oil, no wind turbines, no more farming to speak of, Nixon and the varmints put everybody out of the sheep and goat business, not enough credit to borrow the money to pay anyone to come there, just a few poor and proud with the devotion to their families and the inclination to instill winning ways in their children both academically and athletically.

I'm not saying schools don't contact kids or parents to persuade them to go there. But if that part of Texas is as bad as you say then why move to San Angelo? Not much in that town either and he could of picked a better 6A team to go to. Just my thoughts.

Leman Saunders":3osqiyx2 said:
I am reminded of Don Maynard who played 6-man football his freshman year at Three Way before moving and going onto do great things...

What year did he go to Three Way?

ol' gus":lyihodkf said:
Johnny South":lyihodkf said:
Good Six-man players are few and far between. Good 6-A players are a Dime a Dozen!
Good Point.

I disagree. There are and have been a lot of good football players in sixman over the years. Some don't even make all district, much less all state. Something I've noticed over the years is a team of decent to good players on it with 2 or 3 really good ones can sometimes have a winning season and often win a playoff game or 3. Or, an outstanding athlete has been known to take a team of good ones to the same level.
A lot of kids of average ability with desire, training - physical and coaching of technique, and the fortitude to persist have and can become good football players. Thanks to Coach Brandon for making me believe I was at least good a few times for a couple of years.

We lose a few here and there... most recently the Forrestburg spread back that moved to Bowie to play QB. It happens.. we cant be too hurt about it though when we still cant get college scouts to come to a game. It is still sad that some of the best players we have ever seen play in sixman often got little recognition.

When a kid moves up in classification to another school in Texas... from the smallest to some of the larger schools, you dont see coaches or administrators calling for a UIL ruling on eligibility. The coaches at the 11 man level know very little about the new transfer and give little credit to anyone who came from sixman. BUT, if a kid transfers from Strawn to Gordon or vice versa.. basically anything inside the same district... you better believe there will be a complete investigation into the purpose of the transfer and at some point a meeting will be held to determine eligibility. This is just the way we operate. I am not saying it is good or bad either way.. but we all know this.

Back