Walt Garrison has passed away.

51eleven

Six-man expert
Sad news to me. A true hero of mine. Got his autograph in about 1970-71-72 at a HEB ISD Coaches vs Dallas Cowboys charity BB game. Again in Hico on a Sixman Super Saturday T-shirt, along with a picture with his arm over my shoulder. Anyone who loves football should read "Once a Cowboy". RIP.

Sad news to me. A true hero of mine. Got his autograph in about 1970-71-72 at a HEB ISD Coaches vs Dallas Cowboys charity BB game. Again in Hico on a Sixman Super Saturday T-shirt, along with a picture with his arm over my shoulder. Anyone who loves football should read "Once a Cowboy". RIP.

I was lucky to get his autograph on a OSU mini helmet. My boy has it on his trophy case now. His espn story is reall cool.

I never got to watch him play but have seen several videos on him and stories from the old man.

A couple of songs to commemorate his passing. The first by his friend and teammate Dandy Don Meredith.

The second, as he was the spokesman for Copenhagen and Skoal for so many years . . .

Forgive me for dwelling on Walt this evening. He was from Lewisville, still a small town in the early 1970's where we would cruise to, to get out of town from Grapevine, 12 miles away. My dad played end for the Grapevine Mustangs in the early 1940's, Lewisville was their biggest rival.

I got to thinking, anyone born after about 1965 probably doesn't remember him as he retired in 1975 after a knee injury, in a bulldogging incident. The Fighting Farmer was recruited by only the Oklahoma State Cowboys, as a linebacker. He led the Big 8 in rushing in 1964, a member of the OSU HOF. Drafted in the 5th round by the Dallas Cowboys (a much later round by the KC Chiefs of the AFL) he took their first offer, no agents back then, which included a new 1965 GTO. Asked by Gil Brandt if he had any other requests, he said a two-horse inline trailer would be nice. Gil said a What? Walt explained. Gill called Tex Schram, who also said a What? Then said, find out how much it is, and if not too much, get it for him. Which they did.

"Anyone who loves football should read "Once a Cowboy". I did not realize until a friend on another forum mentioned finding it on Amazon for $125. I said Huh! to myself. Then I looked. 1 for $99, 2 for $125 and 1 signed copy for $249. Amazon still had a record of my purchase in 2010 (it popped up), $8.00, 3.99 S&H plus tax.
It was first loaned to me in the late 80's or very early 90's shortly after publication. A gentleman came in to where I worked to get his cordless phone repaired. When I asked for a name he gave me a business card. Texas Stadium Corporation, Joseph R. Cavagnaro, Vice president and General Manager. Nice to meet you sir, I went to a game there the first year it opened with my dad (Monday night, Dandy Don was in the booth). Also saw Walt Garrison's best game ever there, something like that, I gushed a bit. He said have you read Walt's new book? No. I'll drop it off when I pick up the phone, you can bring it by the office when your done.
A song Walt mentions in the book.

My Walt Garrison story. Some on here have heard this, years ago at the Hico Showcase last game of the day ended in a FG win as time expired, players were celebrating, afterwards both teams were loading up a football was laying against the rock wall in Hico I picked the ball up and took it to Walt and he autographed it.The next year in Hico I took a MLB baseball with me, Walt spit snuff out and said this is a first for me I never signed a baseball lol..today I have in my possession a signed football and baseball that I personally handed to Mr.Garrison ..RIP #32

Damn. 5111 is based on Jr Hi football. What number would you like, 51. I wanted to be Dick Butkus. But I was not big or fast enough, I was quick and made a decent noseguard.

Damn. 5111 is based on Jr Hi football. What number would you like, 51. I wanted to be Dick Butkus. But I was not big or fast enough, I was quick and made a decent noseguard.

From the back cover of Walt's book. Butkus said if you ever come this way again, when I busted through the line into his territory for a pretty good gain, 'I'm gonna bite your head off'. And I looked at him and said, "Well if you do, it'll be the first time you ever had any brains in your head."

Listen to Funny Critters. Watch him hit, cut, spin and run. He said he wasn't fast. But he was definitely quick, with a burst of speed, before he slowed down. Stick around for the end. I knew who Bear Creek was, was good friends with Rusty and Lip. They lived katy cornered to our store. Do you know anybody who could spit on the ceiling laying on they're back?

Hmh! It won't let me post the video or link because of NFL films.

Google Funny Critters, Walt Garrison.

Last edited:
Listen to Funny Critters. Watch him hit, cut, spin and run. He said he wasn't fast. But he was definitely quick, with a burst of speed, before he slowed down. Stick around for the end. I knew who Bear Creek was, was good friends with Rusty and Lip. They lived katy cornered to our store. Do you know anybody who could spit on the ceiling laying on they're back?

Hmh! It won't let me post the video or link because of NFL films.

Google Funny Critters, Walt Garrison.
Which he might find funny, ironic. His sense of humor may have been his greatest trait. I guess a week is kind of long for a wake. But I'm not Catholic and don't know for sure.
I've been looking for an official obituary but not found one. From various sources, he passed, in his sleep, in Weatherford, at a mental health assisted living facility. Possibly something about Alzheimer's? Made me wonder about CTE. He mentioned somewhere about switching to a Styrofoam lined helmet after his 3rd concussion and joining the suit against the NFL for a platform. To advocate for what he believed science and technology could do for helmets to preserve the sport he loved, almost as much as rodeo, by protecting its participants. Not surprising for a pre-Vet major at OSU with great peripheral vision.

Just thinking. His place, 23 acres in Argyle, treed, a roping arena, the house shown in the video, has to be worth many millions. They stayed in the loft over the barn for four years, saving money to and building the log house.
But what got me to really thinking about this was him buying the old downtown Lewisville Liberty theater somewhere in the late 1970's, early 80's. Because it was scheduled for demolition, it was built in 1918, he went there as a kid and his parents went there on dates. Completely refurbished it and made it his office as representative of US Tobacco/Skoal/Copenhagen.
It's for lease on Main Street in "Old Town" Lewisville. With the "performing arts Theater" next door and a new much larger city Theater catty cornered from it. Several restaurants close by.

Don Meredith seemed more like family than just another Texan playing football for the Cowboys. He will always be the Cowboys best quarterback regardless of Heisman trophies, Super Bowl rings and statistics. He commanded the same kind of respect that Earl Campbell has always enjoyed.

A friend sent me this link. 3X a Cowboy plus a Fighting Farmer. OSU, Dallas. I knew he bulldogged and roped but not about qualifying for state twice in HS in bareback. Nor did I know about him making A's in genetics.

Maybe Walt was pullin for OSU tonight? From down 24 - 6 at halftime to win in double overtime, for the right to play in the Big 12 Championship. Texas might have their hands full. OSU will be coming in hot.

Back