New NCAA Rule?

oldergoat

11-man fan
This would only apply in 11-man but a coach friend who is an x-official asked me. In their game last night flag was thrown for illegal receiver downfield. QB was outside the tackle box and just threw away the ball, all within the rules. WH waved off the flag. Told the Head Coach that NCAA had approved a new rule this year and if QB is just throwing away the ball then there is no foul for illegal receiver downfield. Is this really a "NEW RULE" or is this just another East Texas thing by officials?

This is a new rule this year. Prior to this year it was a listed philosophy in the mechanics manual, but this offseason it was officially added as a rule.

Ineligible Receiver Downfield
ARTICLE 10. No originally ineligible receiver shall be or have been more than
three yards beyond the neutral zone until a passer throws a legal forward pass
that crosses the neutral zone. A player is in violation of this rule if any part
of his body is beyond the three-yard limit. (Exception: If the passer is legally
throwing the ball away and the ball lands near or beyond the sideline.) (A.R.
7-3-10-I and -III).
PENALTY—Five yards from the previous spot [S37].

Ineligible Receiver Downfield—ARTICLE 10
Approved Ruling 7-3-10
I. Ineligible lineman A70 runs more than three yards beyond the neutral
zone and does not make contact with an opponent. He circles toward
the flank and returns across the neutral zone before A10 throws a
legal forward pass that crosses the neutral zone. RULING: Ineligible
downfield. Penalty—Five yards from the previous spot.

III. First and 10 at the A-37. Ineligible lineman A70 releases at the snap and
starts downfield. When the passer releases the ball, the top of A70’s helmet
is penetrating the plane of the A-40. The pass crosses the neutral zone and
falls incomplete at the A-39. RULING: Foul, ineligible receiver downfield.
Some part of A70’s body was more than three yards beyond the neutral
zone when the pass was released.

I see what the rule states but the AR does not address the issue of not calling a penalty when there is a clear rule violation. Just my opinion which is not worth the space us to post this, but this is a very BAD rule. My point would be what is the difference in ineligible receiver downfield and Offensive holding on the same play. The rule is saying that if the QB is throwing away the ball there should be no penalty on the offense on the play. And by the same logic there should be no penalty on the defense as well. Also you are putting the official in the position of "knowing what the QB" was thinking when he threw the ball.

(Exception: If the passer is legally
throwing the ball away and the ball lands near or beyond the sideline.)

The exception is all you need. If this happens, then the rule for ineligible downfield does not apply due to this exception. The rule was changed because there wasn't any advantage being gained when they are legally grounding the ball near or beyond the sideline.

It's one of those that by philosophy they didn't want called so they simply changed the rule to codify it. I can remember several years ago when those lineman couldn't be more than 1 yard downfield. By philosophy we would give them 3 yards. So they eventually changed that part to codify it at 3 yards as currently written.

Back