New Mercy Rule Idea

In fact, with 30 on a team, you could have two JV schedules. A few years back Garden City did this and more recently Knox City did this. If it truly is playing time that your concerned about, there are ways to get playing time.

Call the game at or after the half at 45. Then, based on a mutual decision play one more quarter running clock where scores and stats don't count. I'm betting you don't often find two coaches willing to do it at the same time even half the time, but it will allow for second string, gamble plays to be tested, etc. if they do.

When my son was younger and playing flag football, there was a mercy rule but the coaches could decide to keep going as a scrimmage. No stats or score was kept, but it allowed kids to play and coach to work on whatever he needed to.

I'm not sure the best option, so I'll just say this; as a parent, driving 4+ hours round trip for less than 2 hours of football is a beating. I'm less interested in whether my son plays; if he's good enough, coach will put him in. But that's a lot of driving to see half a game.

There's my selfish $.02 for fixing the mercy rule.

From Rumorville: Mart beat Itasca last weekend 96-6. When Mart gave Itasca the option to run the clock. Itasca refused. Like I say, if your going out, go out big!!!

At the Springs the carp salad and evercleer,"ask for Mountain Dew", goes on sale at the end of the 1st quarter.
They aint no band so no problem there. We all ready to head to the house or to the Texas Hold 'em game with 'bout 2 min left in the half.
Thats the way we do it, and we've had lots of practice

westexasflats":dunwqgi0 said:
At the Springs the carp salad and evercleer,"ask for Mountain Dew", goes on sale at the end of the 1st quarter.
They aint no band so no problem there. We all ready to head to the house or to the Texas Hold 'em game with 'bout 2 min left in the half.
Thats the way we do it, and we've had lots of practice

I thought it was crap salad........

Changing the scoring system accomplishes absolutely nothing. Just look at all the t-ball games that are played without "keeping score". Yeah, right. Every momma and daddy in the stands ALWAYS keep score. Your just fooling yourself.

I like the rule the way it is - with a minor tweak. Instead of ending the game at the end of the first half, I would require the second half kickoff. That way, the schools with bands can be assured of a half time, homecoming queens can be crowned and the whatever-class concession stand can sell a few more dollars worth of Frito pies.

Everyone still stays to see the band at half, and drill team, and homecoming queen and king. A matter of the concession stand can never be the issue when it regards kids on the field.

No reason to have a second half kickoff. That is just asking for an injury for one play. Especially on a cold night when kids get tight at half and have to come back out for just the kickoff. We let the band play anyways if it is over at half.

If more kids would hit the weight room in the summer, do some running, and get off their butts and haul some hay or something, we wouldn't need a 45 point rule. The dedicated kids are the one's on the teams that don't get 45ed. Just my opinion.

I love the idea of letting teams continue in "Scrimmage mode" after the 45 point rule has taken effect. The officials have been paid for a full game, let them call a full game. The game is over when a team is ahead by 45, but let the teams continue and treat the additional time as scrimmage. Let coaches try new things, play players out of position, get younger players some time. I hate than when your team is good enough, you have to 45 your opponent in the first half, then lose 20 minutes of playing time....

It is a huge concern when the game is out of hand and you take the risk of an injury with the next game maybe being for the district title. No need to embarrass weaker teams or get hurt when up by 45. Just common sense Edward. Of course there is always risk of injury in football but no need to in a game that lopsided. You have obviously never experienced losing someone in this situation or you would understand.

Little Doc":cfg1iji0 said:
If more kids would hit the weight room in the summer, do some running, and get off their butts and haul some hay or something, we wouldn't need a 45 point rule. The dedicated kids are the one's on the teams that don't get 45ed. Just my opinion.

One of the smartest things I've heard on this entire board!

Little Doc":z6b3n0w4 said:

That is not exactly right. I have seen some really great kids with some really great ability on some of the very worst teams you can even imagine. The causes of these high scoring debacles is not the kids overall, it is the coaching. Most of these kids bend over backwards and bust their tails doing what the coach tells them to do. It is mostly just bad coaching.

Just look at the list of the winningest coaches. A few coaches win most of the games.

I just don't agree with the rule at all. Football is suppose to teach the boys life situations and one is when your down do you give up? No you keep fighting until the end! You find out who has character when their still playing hard when their down by 80 points. I mean everybody thinks its just about winning but what about the joy of just playing the game? And you can't enjoy it when the game ends in two quarters! I mean I've been on both sides of it. I hated getting 45d but at the same time I always had it in my mind that we would come back. Especially if we would of just had more time. Then I've been on the winning part of it. Were we would 45 the team and I wouldn't want the game to end. Not just for myself to get to keep playing but for my friends and teammates that didn't get that much playing time to get in.

Back