National Anthem Protest

Whoa, back the train up folks. I fought in Vietnam in 68-69, i saw my friends bleed and die on that miserable ground. I was hurt myself, we fought for, #1 Each Other, #2 Just to get home again, #3 for Country and Honor.
The Nfl cowards can kiss my ass. I will never watch again. Oh by the way you peckerwoods that are mouthing at each other, get some balls and meet.
Sorry Guru

Well said! AMEN!
Army, 69-70, USAF, SAC, 2ND AF, 70-74
Brother, USMC, FORCE RECON 69-73, Seriously wounded in action in Laos
(of course we weren't supposed to be there), Casualties for October, 1967, fifty years ago this month,
467 KIA.
Mostly 19-22 yoa.

FCSA football":1zzrg0qq said:

Austin Achieve, a public school, surprised us at our Homecoming last year by kneeling, coaches and players alike, and that is why we will never play them again or even return their phone calls. They are not worthy of serious consideration. Political or Social displays, disturbances, exhibitions or demonstrations
have no place at a High School or Jr. High School football game or any other event. It is nothing more than an attempt to showcase an individual or group of individuals and takes away from the idea of a team sports.
If you want to demonstrate, rent a facility and invite all your like minded friends. Just don't try to force me to watch or listen to you unless you are prepared to watch and listen to me. Then you won't have a game, you will probably have a riot.

Hey Coach,

My name is Jordan Temple, Athletic Director of Austin Achieve. You and I spoke several times prior to our game. First off, I apologize if we ever offended you or anyone else in any way at our Football game last year, as I am complexly shocked that you are; based on our interactions at the game.

1. We spoke before the game about this and you voiced your concern, but didn't seem like a huge issue.
2. Both teams gathered for a prayer after the game, you said how great our kids played, and you even said you look forward to playing us AGAIN!
3.I tried calling you shortly after the season in December you wouldn't pick up. Just a text saying that your schedule was full. After that I realized why.

So, after reading your comment I was kind of surprised to know you were so offended from our team,while I feel proud to be their Coach. At our school we strongly encourage our scholars to stand up for what they believe in (in this case kneel) and I'm proud to work in a organization who stands by their players and does not tell them what to do. They have their own voice. As a white man (Our players are all minority), what position am I in to tell them what to do in this situation? There is obviously a huge problem with social injustice and they want to try and change that. Is that the worst thing ever? In my opinion that takes courage and I applaud it. Our intention is not to disrespect anyone oranything, but just to bring awareness to Social Injustice in our country. THATS IT.

I don't want to make this super political on a FOOTBALL message board, but I am just disappointed that a fellow coach would out another Football program like that. We only have good things to say about how your team played that game and I wish feelings didn't get in the way of playing future games. Good luck to the rest of your seasons, Coach.

Best,

Coach Temple

Hey coach my original post was a year ago, why didn't you say something then? What's up with that?
You are right, we did talk numerous times in the weeks prior to our game. I told you repeatedly
that is was our Homecoming. You NEVER announced that you intended to stage a political, social protest
that would draw attention to YOU! If you would have been Honest and told the truth, we would have not been a part of such activities and would have cancelled the game, which is why, I am sure YOU DIDN'T tell me of YOUR INTENTIONS. Despicable, dishonest behavior. There is a time and place for everything. A high school or Jr. High football field is NOT one of them.
There are many ways to lie, and withholding the truth is one of them, which is why, in my opinion you are a liar, cheat and a fraud, dining at the publics' expense to promote YOUR agenda.
You violated every thread of what a guest should be and do. You came to Our House with the intention of distracting and disrupting our Homecoming. Which is why, only 5 minutes before the game, you came to my sidelines with a ref and announced your intent to demonstrate in our house. You said, and I quote,
"Coach when you do YOUR national anthem, my coaches and team are going to take a knee. When we did this last time things didn't go very well, so please keep YOUR kids under control". Incredible !
In actuality, it served as a great motivator for our kids, who were supposed to lose to your team. They came out and took control of the game and won.
Every home game our kids march in single file and carry the Flag for the National Anthem. They Honor Veterans, especially those who gave their lives for everyone's right to freedom in our Country.
Your actions offended my kids, their parents and our coaching staff. YOU are to be CONDEMMED for coming back a year later and trying to play the RACE CARD! We have KIDS that are simply football players. They come in many colors and some with different challenges, but they are kids and should not be used as pawns in a social, political demonstration of our choosing. We would be happy to play your kids again, just as long as you have no part in anything to do with the game
I brought your actions to the attention of our State Senator last year, and I will again, since you brought it up, and again ask the question if this is what public tax dollars are to be spent on. Demonstrations or Education.
Your kids were good sports and as I recall happy to play the game, as were ours. But your actions as a leader of those kids were and are despicable and you are to be PERSONALLY CONDEMMED for those actions.
By your very late post, you are only trying to make YOURSELF look good in today's current political and social climate. You are not promoting a solution, only YOUR version of what YOU believe.
It didn't work. You promote divisiveness, not diversity. Sports should be used as a vehicle to bring kids together. You are a purveyor and an encourager of HATE, and you use your position as a "coach" to promote your agenda. Charter School Advocates encouraged the Legislature to adequately fund Education, not Demonstrations. You are one of Charter Schools greatest enemies, not the pure, passionate saint you portray YOURSELF to be.
I will be forwarding your latest missive to my State Senator with the question: is this what you voted to spend the taxpayers' money on ?
By the way, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for me to answer your phone calls.

Wait a minute...Coach Harvey is actually just an internet tough guy who backs away from face to face confrontation and is too much of a coward to even answer the phone and deal with his beef? I am shocked by this. SHOCKED!!!

KB12, I'll be happy to answer your call and discuss it with you. 979-203-6765. Just please talk if you call and don't hang up, some people get a kick out of hang up calls. But you already know that, right?

FCSA football":2561ppev said:
Hey coach my original post was a year ago, why didn't you say something then? What's up with that?
You are right, we did talk numerous times in the weeks prior to our game. I told you repeatedly
that is was our Homecoming. You NEVER announced that you intended to stage a political, social protest
that would draw attention to YOU! If you would have been Honest and told the truth, we would have not been a part of such activities and would have cancelled the game, which is why, I am sure YOU DIDN'T tell me of YOUR INTENTIONS. Despicable, dishonest behavior. There is a time and place for everything. A high school or Jr. High football field is NOT one of them.
There are many ways to lie, and withholding the truth is one of them, which is why, in my opinion you are a liar, cheat and a fraud, dining at the publics' expense to promote YOUR agenda.
You violated every thread of what a guest should be and do. You came to Our House with the intention of distracting and disrupting our Homecoming. Which is why, only 5 minutes before the game, you came to my sidelines with a ref and announced your intent to demonstrate in our house. You said, and I quote,
"Coach when you do YOUR national anthem, my coaches and team are going to take a knee. When we did this last time things didn't go very well, so please keep YOUR kids under control". Incredible !
In actuality, it served as a great motivator for our kids, who were supposed to lose to your team. They came out and took control of the game and won.
Every home game our kids march in single file and carry the Flag for the National Anthem. They Honor Veterans, especially those who gave their lives for everyone's right to freedom in our Country.
Your actions offended my kids, their parents and our coaching staff. YOU are to be CONDEMMED for coming back a year later and trying to play the RACE CARD! We have KIDS that are simply football players. They come in many colors and some with different challenges, but they are kids and should not be used as pawns in a social, political demonstration of our choosing. We would be happy to play your kids again, just as long as you have no part in anything to do with the game
I brought your actions to the attention of our State Senator last year, and I will again, since you brought it up, and again ask the question if this is what public tax dollars are to be spent on. Demonstrations or Education.
Your kids were good sports and as I recall happy to play the game, as were ours. But your actions as a leader of those kids were and are despicable and you are to be PERSONALLY CONDEMMED for those actions.
By your very late post, you are only trying to make YOURSELF look good in today's current political and social climate. You are not promoting a solution, only YOUR version of what YOU believe.
It didn't work. You promote divisiveness, not diversity. Sports should be used as a vehicle to bring kids together. You are a purveyor and an encourager of HATE, and you use your position as a "coach" to promote your agenda. Charter School Advocates encouraged the Legislature to adequately fund Education, not Demonstrations. You are one of Charter Schools greatest enemies, not the pure, passionate saint you portray YOURSELF to be.
I will be forwarding your latest missive to my State Senator with the question: is this what you voted to spend the taxpayers' money on ?
By the way, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for me to answer your phone calls.

Hey Coach Harvey,

To answer your first question- I honestly just saw your comment the other day as I do not check the message boards on this site often as it is not a priority of mine, so I never saw it. I was not trying to shy away from it, if that is what you were implying.

Like I said in my original post, I'd rather keep this about football, but would like to clear some things up. I am truly sorry if we offended you and I thank you for our service, but your quotes from me are just simply untrue. If you remember correctly, I did not kneel for the anthem and I never have, so the assumption that you made about me pushing my own agenda is false again. I love my players and I am going to support them 100% as would you and I respect that. This decision was made by our players and the coaches simply supported it.

I truly am sorry that you think I am a "fraud" and a "liar" as we do not know each other a personal level. I did make the mistake of not giving you enough notice before the game as I am not perfect and I was simply naive about the entire situation and I apologize for this. Not to mention that after the game, you shook my hand, and said that you wanted to schedule us again, so I am surprised to read that you were that upset.

Like I said before, good luck to the rest of your seasons, Coach

Best,

Coach Temple

Anyone that has seen my posts on this site knows without a doubt that I would have never agreed to, or agreed to be part of, or to be unconcerned about your protest. That was your most recent obvious lie. In my book that make you a liar.
You are a fraud because of the way you presented and perpetuated your planned and knowingly disrespectful, disgusting and disturbing behavior. You knew it would be a problem as evidenced in the fact you waited until the last minute and brought an official with you when you came to our sideline and announced your intentions and told me to control MY kids.
You are a cheat because your actions and behavior cheated our players, parents, fans and coaches out of an otherwise exciting and much anticipated Homecoming halftime event. The action of you and your coaches and the players you led created a cloud and robbed them of THEIR moment and fond memories. If you can’t understand that, then I’ll add moron and idiot to my already low opinion of you.
As a visitor and guest you took advantage of our hospitality and our home and soiled it with your disrespectful actions, which you knew would be offensive. You are to be personally condemned and are the individual “responsible”, which is why we won’t play any team you ever coach. We won’t be a part of disrespecting our Veterans and those gave their lives for this Country and the symbols you obviously love to trash.
If you want to Express yourself in your own house that, I suppose is your right, just don’t come to our house and crap in our living room.

By the way, if you REALLY want to talk to me, I’ve already posted my telephone number on this thread and on this site, and of course you have it from our previous conversations.
Just don’t call from a blocked number or call and hang up. I’ve had several of those since your first post.

HAHAHA. You posted your number on public site and you are surprised that you are getting "hang up calls" and blocked phone calls. People are deplorable and anytime they can take advantage and cause others misfortune, that is exactly what is going to happen.

"Anyone that has seen my posts on this site knows without a doubt that I would have never agreed to, or agreed to be part of, or to be unconcerned about your protest. That was your most recent obvious lie. In my book that make you a liar."

You seem to be very aggressive, I think that has been shown by your posts. The guy is trying to apologize to you, and give his version of the facts because he feels like you are blasting him for expressing his 1st amendment (which you fought for, by the way). Why would he call you again? You already said that you are not going to answer the phone. You didn't answer when he called you before. Why should he have to call you?

Also, did you not return the home and home of a 2 year agreement? You chose to cancel a game instead of fulfilling the agreement and attempting to get revenge, or maybe you were ducking a team because you were scared you were going to lose. Man, this sounds familiar... I just wish that I could remember where I have seen this discussion before... Which coach was attacking another coach for doing the same thing...

But I know that you are going to say that it is different. You are going to find a way to justify it in your own mind. "It is different because..." No different that my 9 year old or any of my JH kids that I teach. Did you ever think that the other coach did or thought the same way about you and your team? Maybe you did something that upset him? Maybe instead of outing you on a public message board he chose to cancel them game and discontinue his association with you in a not so public manner. This is what we like to call, PROFESSIONAL. A word that could be considered foreign to you and your actions.

Coach Schwartz has made several mistakes, cancelling a game with you is just one. Coach Temple seems to be very reasonable, expressed his opinion of the circumstances that unfolded.

We were picked to lose by 4, we won 65-18 I think.
Naw....we weren’t worried. Just don’t want to be a part of anything disgracing or being disrespectful to our Flag, our Country or our Veterans.
By the way, Saturday, November 11, 2017 is Veterans Day. Thank them for your Freedoms.

MANY veterans would say that you are the one being disrespectful for trying to stifle their constitutional rights. You have proven time and time again on this board that you are a big baby that likes to throw fits and threaten to run away if things arent how you want them so why would anyone expect anything else from you?

I don't see him as trying to stifle their rights, and to that not many COMBAT vets will be happy with the whole protest thing. Maybe cooks..admin..etc, many of us who lost brothers for the flag don't approve of this.
I'm 100% for people protesting all they want. Do it in a legal, respectful, and moral fashion however.

truthhurts17":2q03xugp said:
MANY veterans would say that you are the one being disrespectful for trying to stifle their constitutional rights. You have proven time and time again on this board that you are a big baby that likes to throw fits and threaten to run away if things arent how you want them so why would anyone expect anything else from you?

As a proud parent of one of the players, I am appalled by the crybaby antics of the FCSA coach. Coach Temple is a great man and a role model for our players. As others have mentioned, his measured tone and willingness to own up to the mistake of not giving you a courtesy call beforehand demonstrates how thoughtful he is as a leader.

You, on the other hand, rant and rave and act like a victim. I was at the game, there were no problems from the fans or the players other than an FCSA players blatant late hit that was celebrated. My son tells me that in the post-game circle, you had nothing but praise coach, so why get on the message boards and trash this team from afar and then duck and not answer phone calls from Coach Temple? Who is lacking courage?

To top it all off, when you're called out for whining and the coach tells his side, you want to act like he can call you now. Calling you now is not the issue, the fact that you went on a messageboard to talk trash about a program you praised in public is the problem. This, after ducking calls from the Coach.

Lastly, you keep saying you were picked to lose the game. Austin Achieve was in its first year and only had 8th-10th graders, an eight grader ran all over y'all, even though you all won. The game is the game, and you all won handily, I only mention this to highlight how you get on here, act like a victim, and act like you all had some underdog victory because you were inspired by the kids on the other sidelines expressing their American right that you say you fought for.

As the others have mentioned, Coach Temple had nothing but classy responses to you. I wonder if being independent means you can't be held accountable, whereas Temple has to be held accountable. If he were to disrespect his program by getting on a message board and ranting and raving the way you do, he would probably be fired. It must be nice to not have that accountability.

Back