Milford v McLean for the gold ball

Redraider092":3guqfocs said:
obagain":3guqfocs said:
Cougarpride3133":3guqfocs said:
Just curious if anyone has honestly looked at numbers for these two teams. Although I will say congratulations on both for making it this far McLean is obviously the best team in the state. Just thought I’d throw this out there.
In 14 games McLean 45d 11 of there opponents. And they only had 135 points scored on them all year. Sounds to me like they are pretty solid all the way around. Impressive for sure.
Milford has 45d 7 out of the 14 teams they played and have had 374 points scored on them even loosing to Strawn which McLean has already beat. If Milford wants to win this game they are gonna have to play defense for sure. Definitely looking forward in this one though. Although I hope it’s a close one I’m afraid McLean is gonna be more than those Milford boys can handle. But may the best team win. Good luck to both.
Numbers can be deceiving.
Yes, keep telling McLean how easy this will be.

You correctly stated that numbers can be deceiving. It doesn't matter how many teams each 45'd (or simply defeated) if those teams are not quality opponents. I can speak towards most of McLean's opponents and tell you it's impressive they beat both Strawn and Follett (the D2 Finalist), as well as Balmorhea and White Deer, twice. A couple of opponents they beat are not impressive to begin with. What I cannot speak towards are Milford's opponents as I'm not close enough to know their quality. The only comparison I can make is their loss to Strawn but I do not put much weight into that consideration. There could be extenuating factors involved that I'm unaware of (IE. injuries to Strawn when they loss to McLean or injuries to Milford when they loss to Strawn). On paper it is impressive to see wins over Calvert & Coolidge (traditionally good teams) but, again, I'm not familiar with many of their other opponents to pass judgement.

What I will say is what I'm looking forward to is seeing a good game between two quality opponents and that whoever (is it whoever or whomever?) wins will most definitely be able to say they earned it. I also firmly believe that neither team will come in and simply lay down for the other team. Most importantly, good luck to all the players and safe travels for all involved.
I guess you overlooked Milford’s win over union hill, the #4 team in d1 very convincingly when they were supposed to be a 24 point underdog.
Union hill was bigger and more physical and would wear Milford down.
Their defense was better and more physical and would dominate Milford.
Now I am not saying Milford will cruise to a big win, this game will take a great game to beat McLean, but these boys have been hearing this stuff all year and their only loss was to strawn by 8 points when they had a 3 hour bus ride to get to the game.
Look at the schedule, Milford didn’t play a bunch of cream puff teams either.

I posted numbers because I thought they were impressive not because “numbers can be deceiving”. I’m very aware of that, as often the spreads were not accurate. We could go on forever about how a team was predicted to loose by a certain number but which that did not happen because that once again is a prediction. I just love six-man football and found it interesting so I shared. I think both teams definitely earned there spot at AT&T without a doubt. But in my opinion McLean has this one by a long shot. Just overall seem like a more solid team to me. Gonna be a good one for sure.

obagain":2t5vz0x2 said:
Redraider092":2t5vz0x2 said:
obagain":2t5vz0x2 said:
Cougarpride3133":2t5vz0x2 said:
Just curious if anyone has honestly looked at numbers for these two teams. Although I will say congratulations on both for making it this far McLean is obviously the best team in the state. Just thought I’d throw this out there.
In 14 games McLean 45d 11 of there opponents. And they only had 135 points scored on them all year. Sounds to me like they are pretty solid all the way around. Impressive for sure.
Milford has 45d 7 out of the 14 teams they played and have had 374 points scored on them even loosing to Strawn which McLean has already beat. If Milford wants to win this game they are gonna have to play defense for sure. Definitely looking forward in this one though. Although I hope it’s a close one I’m afraid McLean is gonna be more than those Milford boys can handle. But may the best team win. Good luck to both.
Numbers can be deceiving.
Yes, keep telling McLean how easy this will be.

You correctly stated that numbers can be deceiving. It doesn't matter how many teams each 45'd (or simply defeated) if those teams are not quality opponents. I can speak towards most of McLean's opponents and tell you it's impressive they beat both Strawn and Follett (the D2 Finalist), as well as Balmorhea and White Deer, twice. A couple of opponents they beat are not impressive to begin with. What I cannot speak towards are Milford's opponents as I'm not close enough to know their quality. The only comparison I can make is their loss to Strawn but I do not put much weight into that consideration. There could be extenuating factors involved that I'm unaware of (IE. injuries to Strawn when they loss to McLean or injuries to Milford when they loss to Strawn). On paper it is impressive to see wins over Calvert & Coolidge (traditionally good teams) but, again, I'm not familiar with many of their other opponents to pass judgement.

What I will say is what I'm looking forward to is seeing a good game between two quality opponents and that whoever (is it whoever or whomever?) wins will most definitely be able to say they earned it. I also firmly believe that neither team will come in and simply lay down for the other team. Most importantly, good luck to all the players and safe travels for all involved.
I guess you overlooked Milford’s win over union hill, the #4 team in d1 very convincingly when they were supposed to be a 24 point underdog.
Union hill was bigger and more physical and would wear Milford down.
Their defense was better and more physical and would dominate Milford.
Now I am not saying Milford will cruise to a big win, this game will take a great game to beat McLean, but these boys have been hearing this stuff all year and their only loss was to strawn by 8 points when they had a 3 hour bus ride to get to the game.
Look at the schedule, Milford didn’t play a bunch of cream puff teams either.

Great job reading what was actually written and acknowledged. You just fell into the category many on this post are saying. Additionally, you will get no sympathy from anyone in the South Plains or Texas Panhandle regarding how far it is to travel to a football game. Many teams at all levels travel 3 hours plus multiple times a season to play their games.

Cougarpride3133":pydaozdb said:
I posted numbers because I thought they were impressive not because “numbers can be deceiving”. I’m very aware of that, as often the spreads were not accurate. We could go on forever about how a team was predicted to loose by a certain number but which that did not happen because that once again is a prediction. I just love six-man football and found it interesting so I shared. I think both teams definitely earned there spot at AT&T without a doubt. But in my opinion McLean has this one by a long shot. Just overall seem like a more solid team to me. Gonna be a good one for sure.

“McLean has this one by a long shot...Gonna be a good one” which one are you going with? McLean gone win by a long shot or is it gone be a good one?

McLean and Milford are classic in their offensive styles. McLean is old school line up and run over you while Milford is spread'em out and catch me if you can style. Slow down or stop Crockett and forcing McLean to pass is a win for Milford. McLean can pass but Milford defends passes very well with their tall speedy defensive backs. Slow down Crockett? it is football. It's ok to tackle him, let him know you are waiting for him. Let him earn those yards up the middle. Meanwhile, Ta'Ron needs to play his game but not to try to win it all by himself in the first half. Milford's players have enough size to defeat McLean's O line, the question is do they have enough fight to do it? I think this game will be decided in the first half. This should be a very entertaining game! Can't wait.

MilfordInsider":1qaro72g said:
This guy just said Ta’Ron hasn’t earned respect?
Ta’Rons freshman year he leads Milford to the 3rd round, the year before that Milford got 45ed in the first round. Earns All State

Ta’Rons sophomore year Ta’Ron has an even better year. Only lost 2 games, both to two state finalist. All state year again.

Ta’Rons Junior year Ta’Ron is the clear best player in the state, maybe 1A and 2A. Only losses one game and leads Milford to the Semi Final game. Earns the Texas FB play of the year award 1A-6A. All State Year

Ta’Rons Senior year he has his most dominant year. Only loss to strawn. Losses 4 starters, and still leads Milford to the state game!!

If you say Ta’Ron hasn’t earned your respect you are full of it. Ignorance is no excuse, Ta’Ron is the best player in sixman and it isn’t even close...

My Milford boys nobody is picking you to win this week, prove them all wrong. Let’s have a party in AT&T stadium and bring home another championship!

Where is the ring? But I'm sure Ben Crockett will post a picture of his that Ta'ron and his friends can see.

Murdoch":26zphqja said:
TebowTime15 said, "I think Ta'Ron deserves a ring after all his battles with Richland the last two years."

Milford has played Richland twice in the last six years and split the wins 1 and 1. They didn't play this year. So....... I'm confused.

Oh sorry, they aren't really "Richland Springs" to me anymore without Jerry Burkhart. Did Coach B ever lose a regular season game?

Texlonghorn75":1dv3vabe said:
bigbadwolf":1dv3vabe said:
I think McLean wins easily but would love to be proven wrong. I’ll always root for the underdog.

Just imo since it was brought up. Tyler Ethridge was a dominant player. His accomplishments are exaggerated though because he played on teams that would have won state even if he had not played. I personally believe Ta’Ron’s stats would have surpassed TE’s had Ta’Ron had the luxury of playing on those teams that TE was on.
I agree with you Bigbadwolf. McLean should win this game since Milford does not play consistent 4 quarter defense. Milford outscores all the average talent teams and struggles against the elite teams. If Milford can reinvent themselves to stop Crockett in the first half consistently, Ta"ron might get that ring. Talking about Tyler Ethridge, he never played against some of great six man teams such as Garden City in 2009 and 2010. I'm sure Tyler was one tough player, but the six man football world has been full of very tough and talented players. Ta'Ron is a gifted player too. Richland Springs certainly won a lot of championships but some of the D2 competition was (very) weak due to the split of division. Certainly not Richland's fault but it Is what it is.

They became DII the year after Tyler Ethridge graduated from high school. Heck, he won one his freshman year before the DI/DII split! You Milford homers need to brush up on your sixman football history as TE is a legend that NOBODY can compete with.

I went to the Milford/Leakey game in part to see Ta'Ron play one last time since I will not be able to attend the state game; By the way, I wish some parent would sue the UIL for having games on a WEDNESDAY during normal work hours. I think the plaintiff would win, and maybe we could get the game back in Abilene where it belongs.

Anyways, Ta'Ron played poorly against Leakey, period, end of statement. Is he hurt? While I am not for sure, Milford Insider and other fans claim he is healthy. Honestly, I almost hope he was hurt and gets better before next Wednesday as Ta'Ron going off is the only way Milford wins. Although #11 is a good player, Leakey made him look like Earl Campbell because they did not even try to tackle him. #2, #4, and others are solid player but not difference makers. If Milford wins, it will be because of Ta'ron Smith!

I hope Milford wins it all but am extremely skeptical after watching them play Leakey in conjunction with McLean's score against Garden City.

TheAmericanDream":35pcu7gq said:
This McLean team is by far, the best team I've seen this decade.
Easy with that one... I can think of 5 of the top of my head that are better. Just a weak year.
Wasn't even the best GC team this decade. 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 were all better

I don't know about getting hit in the mouth, I believe that each team is capable of laying the wood. Watched the McLean and Strawn at Jayton game. Week one games can be a little deceiving sometimes, but Strawn did not play much of a game, and McLean played good. Play it now and I think that Strawn might win it. When Milford and McLean meet in this game, it will be close for a while, but Milford may just prove to be too much for the high plains team.

Greatest95":1ni0p4td said:
Cougarpride3133":1ni0p4td said:

“McLean has this one by a long shot...Gonna be a good one” which one are you going with? McLean gone win by a long shot or is it gone be a good one?

Just because I think McLean will win this one with ease or as I previously stated by a long shot it doesn’t mean I don’t think it will be a fairly good game. I mean come on both teams made it thus far somehow. I just think McLean is better of the two and that is my OPINION.

TebowTime15":10v9dgey said:
Murdoch":10v9dgey said:
TebowTime15 said, "I think Ta'Ron deserves a ring after all his battles with Richland the last two years."

Milford has played Richland twice in the last six years and split the wins 1 and 1. They didn't play this year. So....... I'm confused.

Oh sorry, they aren't really "Richland Springs" to me anymore without Jerry Burkhart. Did Coach B ever lose a regular season game?
Tebow you are a real newbie! Coach B did an excellent job of avoiding teams which could beat him during the regular season. Strawn beat Richland Springs on a regular basis prior to Coach B's arrival and continued to beat Richland Springs after his arrival in the playoffs too. Sure Richland beat Strawn twice in the playoffs but Strawn beat Coach B more than anyone. May also has beaten Richland twice during the regular season recently, maybe that inspired him to leave. Richland Springs likes to load up on those clueless independents like Fort Worth THESA, San Antonio Feast and Austin Royals. Nice way to pad the schedule. You might notice that Strawn played the toughest regular season schedule of any team in the state this year and represented themselves very well. Whenever, which is seldom, Coach B scheduled a tough team like Borden County or Happy they lost!!

Texlonghorn75":2gwts6ua said:
TebowTime15":2gwts6ua said:
Murdoch":2gwts6ua said:

Tebow you are a real newbie! Coach B did an excellent job of avoiding teams which could beat him during the regular season. Strawn beat Richland Springs on a regular basis prior to Coach B's arrival and continued to beat Richland Springs after his arrival in the playoffs too. Sure Richland beat Strawn twice in the playoffs but Strawn beat Coach B more than anyone. May also has beaten Richland twice during the regular season recently, maybe that inspired him to leave. Richland Springs likes to load up on those clueless independents like Fort Worth THESA, San Antonio Feast and Austin Royals. Nice way to pad the schedule. You might notice that Strawn played the toughest regular season schedule of any team in the state this year and represented themselves very well. Whenever, which is seldom, Coach B scheduled a tough team like Borden County or Happy they lost!!

Actually, I am not a newbie at all. For one thing, you never refuted my claim at all! Did I ever say Richland played a tough regular season schedule? Learn to read carefully, my friend.

The 2008 Strawn team, who I saw play 5 times the year they won state, was so good that I would like to have seen them play the TE Coyotes. People talk about #7 (Trey something) the next year, but he just another guy on that 2008 Strawn team; that is not a knock on him as that team was, to quote Goob, "loaded, loaded, loaded!"

In 2009, I believe that was the year Haustin Burkhart got hurt early in the game; Although I think Strawn would have still won the game, Haustin was the man on that team.

Anyways, feel free to take part in a pissing contest between Strawn and Richland; I am not assoicated either town and do not care in the slightest as they are both darn good programs. Then again, it is hard to argue with 192-10! ;) I mean, it would be impressive if Coach B only lost to San Saba's JV in a sixman game 10 times much less real varsities. Calling me a newbie, however, shows ignorance on your part.

Cisnerostime":2kkgm07r said:
I personally think it’ll be a rerun of the strawn game last year, it’ll be a close game three the first few Quarters but McLean will pull away late. Gimme McLean by 30

you make sure you Sit on McLean Side during the game cause we have enough support without you , if you ask me you weren't good when you played for milford so NEXT, and after WE win be sure not to celebrate

TebowTime15":2crrst56 said:
Texlonghorn75":2crrst56 said:
TebowTime15":2crrst56 said:
Murdoch":2crrst56 said:

Actually, I am not a newbie at all. For one thing, you never refuted my claim at all! Did I ever say Richland played a tough regular season schedule? Learn to read carefully, my friend.

The 2008 Strawn team, who I saw play 5 times the year they won state, was so good that I would like to have seen them play the TE Coyotes. People talk about #7 (Trey something) the next year, but he just another guy on that 2008 Strawn team; that is not a knock on him as that team was, to quote Goob, "loaded, loaded, loaded!"

In 2009, I believe that was the year Haustin Burkhart got hurt early in the game; Although I think Strawn would have still won the game, Haustin was the man on that team.

Anyways, feel free to take part in a pissing contest between Strawn and Richland; I am not assoicated either town and do not care in the slightest as they are both darn good programs. Then again, it is hard to argue with 192-10! ;) I mean, it would be impressive if Coach B only lost to San Saba's JV in a sixman game 10 times much less real varsities. Calling me a newbie, however, shows ignorance on your part.
My reply was to your statement that Coach B never lost a regular season game. How sly of you. Coach B didn't but his team did, to what few teams actually presented any degree of competition. I think we can agree that true competition is what makes football or any sport for that matter interesting. Otherwise we all lose interest. But you having watched the 2008 or 2009 Strawn teams play a few times does not prevent you from being a Newbie. You certainly like all things Richland Springs and Coach B, enjoy that.

I’ve said it once and I will say it again; McLean has not played a team like Milford. McLean has never played a spreadback like Ta’Ron.
Milford has played teams like this McLean team before. Milford plays a team like McLean every year. Milford will stop McLeans power run. I think stopping the power run is Milford’s strength on defense. Milford’s only loss this year was to strawn. Everyone on this board has admitted that strawn in week 5 was a way better version than strawn in week 1. I think Milford did an amazing job stopping (or containing) strawns power run, Strawn scored a lot on big passing plays. Milford’s D Line and Strawns O Line faught all night and Milford didn’t get “wore out”. Milford’s got two big 220+ pounds DT’s in the middle and they cause problems for opposing teams. Remember 4 of the starters on defense this year were defensive starters last year that held back to back champs RS to 16 points in the playoffs! Yeah there’s the “Walker didn’t paly ”excuse, but Richland lined up in tight and jaybird and tried to run the ball down Milford’s throat all night. Milford’s boys played the best defensive game I’ve ever seen from a Milford team in a long while.... I see a part 2 of this performance coming at AT&T.

Ohhhh silly Mr. Insider! You’re in for a rude awakening if you think Mclean will get hit in the mouth and it will matter! They do the hitting bud. For the record, we traveled 4 hours to BEAT Strawn by 33!!!! And we didn’t even play that great! We’re a much better team now than we were then! And as far as never seeing a guy like Taron, our guys practice against one just the same everyday! Our #5 is the same caliber player, trust me. You are going to be shell shocked in the stands on this one Insider! Promise!

Back