2018 Week 5 Game of the Week - Milford v Strawn

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Week 5 Game of the Week
DI #2 Milford (3-0) @ DII #1 Strawn (3-1) – Friday 7:30pm

This matchup is a rematch of the division two semi-finals from last season, a game which Strawn won 102-71 after trailing 52-46 at halftime.

Strawn lost their week one game at the hands of the current division one conscious #1 team Mclean. Then last week the Greyhounds resolidified themselves by defeating the 2017 DI state champions Borden County 50-0 at halftime.

Milford was able to log 77 points in a single half against a tough private school team Gainesville Lone Star North last week winning 77-27 at the half. The previous week the Bulldogs defeated the current #3 ranked DII Oakwood Panthers 57-42 in a battle of east Texas six-man powerhouses which was their biggest test of the 2018 season thus far…but all that changes tonight as they face the DII #1 ranked Strawn Greyhounds.

Keys to the Game:

Strawn has the home field and will have the home crowd. They will need to use that little extra atmosphere, combined with the hype off their big win last week, to have everyone pumped and ready to go the full 40 minutes. The pressure in this game should be on the Greyhound defense and containing Taron Smith as best as possible. Strawn’s offense has the weapons and they just need to keep the chains moving and not over think things offensively in order to shorten the game and limit the time Milford has control of the ball.

Milford will need to be mentally in this game from start to finish. The one thing I took away from last year’s semi-final game was how Milford pulled a Jekyll and Hyde routine meaning they were amazing in the first half and none existent in the second half. The Bulldogs tend to get excited and over emotional and show it on the field at times and they will need to keep that in check and eliminate unnecessary penalties and giving Strawn free plays and extra yardage. Their receivers must not drop passes and the Bulldogs must not put the ball on the ground.

Third and long and fourth and long plays will be key all night for both teams. Play calling and execution will be critical as the big plays in big games are always big momentum shifters. Special teams play will be huge in a game that is expected to be high scoring and close.

My Thoughts:
I always want to see a great game out of both teams in every game. I want to see Taron Smith, who has been called the best player in class 1A, have a career game. I want to see the Strawn Beastman, Tanner Hodgkins, go beast mode on offense running the ball and defense making amazing tackles. I want to see the little defensive end from Milford Corbin Schrotke to log 20+ tackles, and the Bulldogs’ heir apparent Ricky Pendleton make explosive plays on minimal touches. For Strawn I want Julian Fraga to make a huge play or two resulting in touchdowns, the same goes for Carlos Villanueva, and JW Montgomery will come up with an INT and some big tackles in the Strawn secondary saving a touchdown or two as well and Ivan Ruiz to make tackles when it is important.

I want all this to happen, and I EXPECT all this to happen. It is all the more reason why everyone who can be in Strawn SHOULD be there Friday night. Moms, Dads, Fans, Spectators, College Recruiters, and all lovers of Texas High School Football alike included.

As odd as it may sound I think this game comes down to one thing… kicking PATs. There is a VERY good chance that Milford will score more touchdowns than Strawn, but that Strawn will have more points on the score board when the final whistle blows. I expect a high scoring game with a lot of big plays and a lot of total yards and Strawn edging out Milford thanks to special teams. Strawn 80 Milford 78

Back