Maryland's 1st Six-Man Game (1935)

cren22

11-man fan
I've come across information that places the first six-man football game in Maryland as among the earliest in the nation.

Boys' Latin School of Maryland and Franklin Day School played a six-man demonstration game at halftime of the varsity eleven-man game between the two schools in the fall of 1935 at Mount Washington Field. According to the Baltimore Sun, this was the first six-man football game in the East.

Boys' Latin's eleven-man schedule that season:
- Ottmar Merganthaler School of Printing (I think this is now Merganthaler Vocational-Technical High Schoool)
- Franklin Day School (closed sometime after 1940, located in old Baltimore Central YMCA, now Mount Vernon Hotel, six-man in 1939)
- Friends School of Baltimore (still open, played six-man at least in 1939, plays eleven-man now)
- Charlotte Hall Military Academy (opened 1774, closed 1976)
- Gilman School (still open, has always played eleven-man)
- Saint Alban's (DC) (still open, has always played eleven-man)
- Saint Paul's (still open, played six-man and eleven-man at times, playing eleven-man now)

http://www.boyslatinmd.com/document.doc?id=135

I don't know what happened in that game or between 1935 and 1939. There were a few six-man games in 1939. Here's what I have:
10/27/39- Saint Paul's 35, Franklin Day 0 (at Saint Paul's)
11/3/39- Saint Paul's beat ? 13-6
11/10/39- Saint Paul's 7, Friends School of Baltimore 0 (Six-Man Prep Football Championship)

Back