Leach in Seattle?

OK, I just disagree with you on the recruiting. I think he would be a nightmare at Auburn. Not sure I would want to follow a coach that had defeated its rival 6 straight times before this one and had won over 70% of his games against very good talent. They seem to be a bit out of touch with reality right now there...

Little known fact. Darrell Royal was the UW head coach for a year in 1956 before going to UT.

Only 2 Big XII teams will be in BCS games. Sorry, but that is a BCS rule, 2 max from any conference. Texas is assured of a spot (because TTU will not pass them in the polls). OU will be in the championship game should they win. Tech may end up in the Cotton Bowl if OU wins. They can only get into a BCS game if OU loses and they stay ahead of a bunch of teams... including OU. Another thing working against TTU is the fact that Utah and Boise State have special rules that allow them to be in the mix ahead of Tech... Then there are teams that actually travel to games well, like Ohio State... those teams can be selected over them.

rainjacktx":e0b2pr5q said:
With 3 teams most likely headed to BCS bowls, there is going to be a ton of money in Tech's coffers to pay what Leach wants..

Do you mean 3 Big 12 teams in the BCS? I was thinking no conference could send more than 2?

I don't know about the reliability of reports on lubbockonline.com, but they seem to indicate that the other UW candidates are falling by the wayside, and that reportedly Leach may be headed back to Seattle again right now. But then there's also reports that the first interview didn't go that well.

Nothing like blogs to feed the rumor mill every couple of hours.

It was my understanding that a conference could have 3 BCS teams if one of the teams was in the championship game.

I could be wrong. it wouldn't be the first time.

granger":2mdodmhf said:
OK, I just disagree with you on the recruiting. I think he would be a nightmare at Auburn. Not sure I would want to follow a coach that had defeated its rival 6 straight times before this one and had won over 70% of his games against very good talent. They seem to be a bit out of touch with reality right now there...

Little known fact. Darrell Royal was the UW head coach for a year in 1956 before going to UT.

You think the talent pool is deeper on the west coast than it is in the Southeast? Florida, Georgia, Alabama, the Carolinas, Louisianna, and Mississippi?

You have every right to disagree, but I just don't see California being that deep. Sure they have some blue chips, but not enough to stock the Pac-10, and all the other conferences in Cali, and the Western US.

I'm not saying that going to Auburn is a good move. I just think that, when compared to Washington, it will prove to be a much better move for Leach in 5 years.

I imagine this is all a big discussion about nothing. Gerald Meyers will find a way to keep Leach.

granger":l6hn67o9 said:
Look at their roster
http://gohuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-foot ... l-mtt.html

It has always been filled with California talent. Washington has always recruited nationally too.

Plus ESPN is now reporting that he will be likely offered $3M by one of the other schools for 4-5 years... no way Tech can match, can they?

His current deal with Tech would net him 2.65M next season, and the AD is promising a hike on that.

Mark my words, the first coach to fully implement a spread offense in the SEC will win multiple national championships.

I personally have never been to california and have never witnessed thier high shcool football but it would seem to me that it is almost impossible for football to be more competitive and produce better athletes each year then HIgh School Texas Football.. this is excluding florida of course. lol

from before the season. Gary Pinkel has supposedly received an extension at $2.5 per... which is dumb, dumb, dumb. Before last year he had NEVER had fewer than 4 conference losses and he plays in the North.

Here are the 2008 guaranteed salaries for Big 12 coaches, according to a Big 12 survey conducted in December.
1. Mack Brown (Texas) $2.8 million
2. Bob Stoops (Oklahoma) $2.65 million
3. Mangino (KU) $2.3 million
4. Gary Pinkel (MU) $1.85 million
5. Mike Sherman (Texas A&M) $1.8 million
6. Mike Leach (Texas Tech) $1.65 million
7. Bo Pelini (Nebraska) $1.6 million
8. Art Briles (Baylor) $1.4 million
9. Dan Hawkins (Colorado) $1.1 million
10. Gene Chizik (Iowa State) $1 million
11. Mike Gundy (Okla. State) $953,000
12. Ron Prince (Kansas State) $754,140

I think the thing we don't really put into this is the fact that these big names always like a challenge. They seem to think they can compete anywhere and can pull it off...

say...joe pa at penn state only makes $512,000 a year...maybe we could feed coach's salaries
into the BCS computer and see what kind of turd it lays with that...

rainjacktx":8d82jxco said:
j_bird_s":8d82jxco said:
it's amazing how many Texans (or Tech fans - can't figure out which) are ignorant about AMERICAN football: there is football - very good football played in places outside of Texas in the rest of the country. There are PLENTY of blue-chip recruits found outside the state of Texas. Yes, Texas is it's own recruiting region, but so are the states I mentioned, as are the states of LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, FL; as are the states of IL, PA, IN, NJ, MI; and I can go on.

I GET IT - Texas has GREAT football talent to recruit from. However, how many national Championships have been won by OU or UT in the last 20 years? TWO? If Texas has the greatest players in the land, why hasn't UT, A&M or even OU won more? Heck, as much as I hate them Nebraska has won two national titles using predominantly Nebraskan talent = equal to the number of OU & UT in the same span. That Texas talent's really been tearing it up.

The greater Los Angeles area produces plenty of talent to not only supply the Pac-10, but also the mid-major conferences out west like the WAC and MWC. There's plenty of talent out there, and UW can pull that talent. I'll tell you this - while currently down, UW has been a big time football power for WAY longer than your little school in Lubbock.

I love how people make outlandishly dumb statements, get called on it, then have the audacity to say that the other person is ignorant of the subject matter.

We are not talking about the Southeast, or the Midwest, or the Northeast. Go back, read what you wrote - then try to stay within the boundries of the argument YOU set up.

Trust me - my knowledge of football is not an issue in this discussion.

these are the boundaries I originally talked about:

"Recruiting to a PAC-10 school includes not just Washington, but OR, CA, AZ, & NV..." - in the first post, and on the second post (which you quote above):

"Yes, Texas is it's own recruiting region, but so are the states I mentioned, as are the states of LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, FL; as are the states of IL, PA, IN, NJ, MI; and I can go on."

- perhaps you should read carefully before responding with an "outlandishly dumb statement".

I reinforced my point with the other regions, in that TX is NOT the only strong recruiting area in the country - left coast included.

Yes, your football knowledge is in question - I don't know you, but from what you write, I do not trust your football knowledge (nor should anyone). Do some research before you make ridiculous statements like:

"Give me the second tier players from Texas, and I will beat you 9 out of 10 games."

Stick to talking Silverton football, as you do seem to have knowledge about that.

j_bird_s":185motqq said:
these are the boundaries I originally talked about:

"Recruiting to a PAC-10 school includes not just Washington, but OR, CA, AZ, & NV..." - in the first post, and on the second post (which you quote above):

"Yes, Texas is it's own recruiting region, but so are the states I mentioned, as are the states of LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, FL; as are the states of IL, PA, IN, NJ, MI; and I can go on."

- perhaps you should read carefully before responding with an "outlandishly dumb statement".

I reinforced my point with the other regions, in that TX is NOT the only strong recruiting area in the country - left coast included.

Yes, your football knowledge is in question - I don't know you, but from what you write, I do not trust your football knowledge (nor should anyone). Do some research before you make ridiculous statements like:

"Give me the second tier players from Texas, and I will beat you 9 out of 10 games."

Stick to talking Silverton football, as you do seem to have knowledge about that.

You use the entire country to prove that Texas is not the only strong recruiting area in the country?

And then you propose to tell me that I don't know what I am talking about?

Like I said previously, you need to go back and re-read. I never said what you think I said. I said Texas was a better recruiting area than the Pacific Northwest.

You also conveniently left out the part where I said, you can take all the blue chips you want from WA, OR, NV, and AZ, and I would beat you 9 games out of 10 with second tier Texas recruits.

It's really just as simple as actually reading what is written, and understanding the words you just moved your lips to.

Let me simplify it for you just a tad, since you have displayed more than a little trouble understanding up to this point.

You said that the Pacific Northwest, to include Cali, is a great recruiting area. Cali is the only state out of the entire region that even has a noticeable football presence in high school.

Now - based on the notion that Leach is going to Washington, you seem to think that he would have a fairly easy time recruiting top tier players to a program that has been an abject failure for the better part of a decade. I said, at least twice in this thread, that it would take Leach several years to get anywhere near the top tier Cali prospects.

Your attempts to bring in the rest of the country to make a point fail miserably. Why? For the purpose of this discussion, Leach isn't going to Ohio, or PA, or any other state. He's going to UW.

If you would take the time to read, I even go so far as to say that Auburn would be a much better recruiting area for Leach than would Washington.

Heck, we need to lighten up on rainjack... today's his birthday... congrats old man. You've got me by just under four months

granger":4tkaumwa said:
Heck, we need to lighten up on rainjack... today's his birthday... congrats old man. You've got me by just under four months

I finally reached the age where I don't want to answer the phone on my birthday anymore.

rainjacktx":3pv1zk5n said:
You use the entire country to prove that Texas is not the only strong recruiting area in the country?

as a matter of fact, I do - for you and every Tech fan on this board that thinks that Texas and Lubbock are the center of the football universe - figured I better attempt to lay it out for you to comprehend by comparing TX to other areas of the country - not the only the specific Leach @ UW situation. There are good football players in every state of the country, not just TX.

Like I said previously, you need to go back and re-read. I never said what you think I said. I said Texas was a better recruiting area than the Pacific Northwest.

yes, but by speaking of only the Pacific Northwest, you took what I originally said out of context. WA can and will recruit very well from the Pacific recruiting region under a guy like Leach - and taking CA out of the equation is impossible. hmmmm, only works for you when someone takes you out of context?

You also conveniently left out the part where I said, you can take all the blue chips you want from WA, OR, NV, and AZ, and I would beat you 9 games out of 10 with second tier Texas recruits.

ditto to what i said above - you're the one who started comparing apples and oranges - of course the states of WA, OR, NV and AZ do not have the depth of talent that TX has - but the 5star recruits in these states would not get run roughshod through by 2nd tier TX recruits.

You said that the Pacific Northwest, to include Cali, is a great recruiting area. Cali is the only state out of the entire region that even has a noticeable football presence in high school.

noticable on the scale of TX - yes, but to say there's no noticeble "presence" - and by that I'm assuming you're alluding to the players in those states of WA, NV, AZ or OR - is ridiculous. To my original point - there's plenty of good football played all over the U.S. - including those 4 states.

Now - based on the notion that Leach is going to Washington, you seem to think that he would have a fairly easy time recruiting top tier players to a program that has been an abject failure for the better part of a decade. I said, at least twice in this thread, that it would take Leach several years to get anywhere near the top tier Cali prospects.

I don't remember ever saying he'd bring in all those recruits in his first UW recruiting class (which you seem to insinuate). Of course it'd take several years to recruit the players conducive to his system - as it does for any new coach at any major D1 school. Do you really think that the 5th or 6th best WR or QB in California who didn't get recruited by USC wouldn't jump to play in WA state for Leach? How about the best WR in OR, WA, NV, or AZ wouldn't think about going to play for Leach at UW? His system and what he has done will attract the players sooner than later.

If you would take the time to read, I even go so far as to say that Auburn would be a much better recruiting area for Leach than would Washington.

again you are wrong - as pointed out earlier in this thread, the SEC is a defensive conference (look how great Spurrier has done at SC with the fun-n-gun). The PAC-10 is not a defensive conference (notice the success of Oregon the last decade or even Oregon State this year? - how about Cal?) Leach's system would tear up a conference like the Pac-10, and he would draw talent to UW. His system would get torn a new one by the speed of the SEC defenses (refer to TT @ OU a couple weeks ago). Plus, as stated earlier - the Auburn job is a huge pressure cooker - @ UW, he can only take the program one direction, and that is up.

j_bird_s":kl10exhy said:
again you are wrong - as pointed out earlier in this thread, the SEC is a defensive conference (look how great Spurrier has done at SC with the fun-n-gun). The PAC-10 is not a defensive conference (notice the success of Oregon the last decade or even Oregon State this year? - how about Cal?) Leach's system would tear up a conference like the Pac-10, and he would draw talent to UW. His system would get torn a new one by the speed of the SEC defenses (refer to TT @ OU a couple weeks ago). Plus, as stated earlier - the Auburn job is a huge pressure cooker - @ UW, he can only take the program one direction, and that is up.

The rest of your post would be an another exercise in futility to respond to. You obviously aren't going listen to what I have to say on it, or apply any common sense - so I will defer to your opinions on that just to avoid having to re-quote everything. Besides, I doubt anyone but you and I are actually reading our exchanges anyway.

But -

Your last paragraph is - well - too juicy to pass up.

Lat time I checked Florida was part of the SEC. Since, according to you, I am not really all that bright about football - I would like to know if the Gators were admitted to the SEC before, or after Steve Spurrier left them to go to the NFL. I'm pretty sure they were in the SEC BEFORE.

South Carolina is a perennial never was in the SEC. Kinda like Washington is doing to themselves now. The Auburn job is hardly the same move as going to the Gamecocks. If you are the football genius you seem to think you are, you know you are arguing an unwinnable position, here. Ignoring the fact that Spurrier had wild success at Florida makes me wonder just how much you don't know about college football.

Spurrier's "run and fun" depends on the athleticism of the athletes. Being at a lower level school means he gets the 2nd tier athletes. Kinda like Washington will be getting from Cali.

Leach's system depends on reading the defense and having a QB that can check down 4 receivers in 3 seconds or less. His system make stars out of smaller, slower, but sure handed, and smart receivers.

The entire college football world is going to the spread. Unless the SEC wants to become the next Big 10 - they will open up the offense.

Leaches system is the most prolific in college football. And not just for a couple of years like the run and shoot was. This is 10 years - minimum - of wide open high scoring offense.

Let me ask you just one question. If you were forced to pick between your Pacific Northwest, and the Southeast - which region has the best athletes for recruiting top to bottom?

If you think Oregon is on par with Georgia, or that Nevada could keep up with Mississippi - well - you've said more to make my argument for me than I could in 20 pages on here.

rainjacktx":atdwrwn7 said:
Well darn. I guess Leach agreed with me that Washington would be a bad move.

I hate being right so often. No. Really. I do.

yes, I'm sure he's glad he consulted you....ever think maybe Leach wasn't UW's first choice? A coordinator at USC was a better choice for the horrible program - Washington - than the head coach of the BCS power Texas Tech.

:lol:

Back