LB/DB Fundamentals/Reads

dport

11-man fan
What's some fundamentals and reads you guys teach your LBs and DBs during an individual defensive segment during practice? Are they the same as you teach in 11-man or do you guys vary it some to fit 6-man? Thanks for your input.

That's funny!

Actually,
what I meant was
that you could spend a lot of time
working on tackling drills
and it would be time well spent.

Some kids won't get "making reads"
but they will understand
and execute
"Sic em'!!!!"

Watch ANY game film and count the number of missed tackles.
jus sayin'.

I agree that tackling is by far the most important thing to work on and probably does deserve more time than any other aspect, but you also have to work on reads and coverage techniques and I would like to see what some of you guys do in order to get some more ideas.

A very common read if you run a 2-3 defense is have your CB read onside end to onside rb. We always did that as our base and then tweaked it based on what we did every week.

Open field tackeling and pursuit angles are a huge thing to teach in 6-man. I would spend most of my time on that and once they start to get it, spend more time on it. And when you think you have spent enough time on that, spend more time on it.

Dogface makes good points here i think more sixman games, and well really just football games are lost simply due to poor tackling open field especially in sixman because alot of times those LB and DB are left on an island and are the last means to make a tackle,
i think working on flowing to the ball is also a big thing to work on. Getting off of blocks and team pursuit and gang tackling is a big deal too.
as far as reads are concerned Jc made a good point for the corners in the 2-3 but it really depends on what type of D you are running
some basic points some im repeating from earlier
form tackling
open field tackle
pursuit to ball/flowing to the ball
backside defenders to contain cutbacks
reading and identiying ball movement
awarness if the LB is so busy watching the ball he is going to miss the linemen sneaking out on a pass pattern
getting off of blocks (cant tackle if the lineman whips you and your downfield 10 yards)
communication

Back