Lamb Ribs help

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Need some advice.... going to smoke a brisket today or early tomorrow morning. I also have some lamb ribs I want to cook. I am contemplating smoking them although I found an interesting roasted lamb recipe...

ideas? Pete?

You don't want to get too elaborate with lamb ribs. Keep it simple. Rub with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic. maybe infuse olive oil with some fresh mint. Don't know about smoking. You might try grilling over high heat and don't over cook.

granger":39ecu1tl said:
Need some advice.... going to smoke a brisket today or early tomorrow morning. I also have some lamb ribs I want to cook. I am contemplating smoking them although I found an interesting roasted lamb recipe...

ideas? Pete?
Lamb ribs, or rib chops? I’m not a fan of sheep meat, but do have some thoughts on the matter, which do not involve smoking them. To be honest, I could never get the ribs to draw quite right... but then I prefer a Bauza Jaguar.
Lamb Rib Chops with Apple Poached Quince and Balsamic Pan Sauce
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
1 can apple juice concentrate, undiluted
1 quince, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4–inch–thick slices
3 fresh thyme sprigs plus 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme

8¾–inch–thick lamb rib chops or eight 1¼–inch–thick lamb loin chops
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

Preparation:
Bring to apple juice concentrate to a low boil over medium–high heat. Add quince slices and thyme sprigs. Reduce heat to medium–low, cover, and simmer until quince is tender, about 20 minutes. Strain, reserving quince and juices separately. Discard thyme sprigs.

Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium–high heat. Add lamb; cook to desired doneness, about 2½ minutes per side for rib chops and 3½ minutes per side for loin chops for medium–rare. Transfer lamb to platter; cover to keep warm. Pour off drippings from skillet; place skillet over medium heat. Add reserved quince juices; boil until reduced to ¼ cup, scraping up any browned bits, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in vinegar, butter, oregano, rosemary, and ½ teaspoon chopped thyme. Season pan sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Top lamb with poached quince. Spoon pan sauce over and serve.

Tex-Mex Seasoned Lamb Ribs with Cheese Grits
Yield: Makes 4 servings
Ingredients:
For ribs:
  • • ¼ cup olive oil
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon cayenne
    • 2½ teaspoons salt
    • 3 to 3¼ pounds Denver ribs (lamb breast spareribs; 2 racks)
    • ½ cup orange marmalade (not bitter)
    • ½ cup red-wine vinegar
For grits:
  • 2 cups cold water
    ¾ cup white grits
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2 ounces shredded Asiago (±½-¾ cup)
    1 ounce finely grated Manchego (½ cup)
Preparation:
Marinate and cook ribs:
  • Stir together oil, garlic, chile powder, cumin, pepper, ½ teaspoon cayenne, and 2 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Pat lamb dry and rub all over with spice mixture. Transfer lamb to a large sealable plastic bag and seal bag, pressing out excess air. Marinate lamb, chilled, at least 8 hours.

Bring lamb to room temperature, about 1 hour.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Transfer lamb to a 17- by 12-inch heavy shallow baking pan and cover pan tightly with foil, then bake 1¼ hours.

Meanwhile, stir together marmalade, vinegar, and remaining ½ teaspoon cayenne and ½ teaspoon salt in a 1-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.

Discard foil from lamb and carefully pour off and discard fat from pan. Brush lamb with some of marmalade glaze and roast, basting every 10 minutes (use all of glaze) and turning racks over every 20 minutes, until browned and tender, about 1 hour. Cut racks into individual ribs.

Make grits during last 20 minutes of glazing ribs:

Whisk together water, grits, and salt in a 2-quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until very thick, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses. Serve grits with ribs.

Note:
Ribs can be marinated up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before baking.

For the first recipe, I’d suggest an Oregon Pinot Noir, or perhaps a Côtes du Rhône; for the second, a Petite Syrah, Syrah or Malbec. There are a couple of Texas wineries which produce some above average Petite Syrah... Perissos and Legato pop to mind immediately, and Perissos has a very nice Malbec, as well.

what's the price... two bits twice

my great grandmother loved the stuff... a cousin found an old picture of her dancing in the yard with a bottle of Thunderbird in one hand recently. cracked us all up... born in 1892, she lived into her 90's and all she ever wanted for Christmas or her birthday was a big old bottle.

oh yea, so thanks for all of the rib help. Going to do them tonight. I woke up in the middle of the night to smoke the brisket for lunch today.... special thanks to Pete for his rub (original), which was used quite liberally on it.

My town was fortunate in that we had a goodly supply of winos. We were equally separate, some Hispanic, some Anglo. They hit the better stuff when the checks came in, but it was The Bird at the end of month. Ha

Back