Jim Thorpe

Klaactu

Six-man fan
Didn't Jim Thorpe once punt a ball one hundred yards? Did I see in the credits of the Super bowl that Jim Thorpe was the founder of the Super bowl?

Klaactu":12s7rvx8 said:
Didn't Jim Thorpe once punt a ball one hundred yards?
I don't know
Klaactu":12s7rvx8 said:
Did I see in the credits of the Super bowl that Jim Thorpe was the founder of the Super bowl?
He was long dead (1953) by the timer the first Super Bowl was played (1967)

The Super Bowl name didn't come into use until Super Bowl III (Miami, NY Jets 16-Baltimore 7). The first two games, won by the Green Bay Packers, were called the AFL-NFL World Championship Game. That led, after Coach Lombardi's death in 1970, the naming of the championship trophy as The Lombardi Trophy.

Lamar Hunt, owner of the Kansas City Chiefs and founder of the AFL in 1960, was trying to come up with a name for the game. One of his kids or grandkids was playing with a popular toy at the time, a "Super Ball" that bounced all around. From that, he got "Super Bowl" and the name stuck.''

By 1966, the upstart AFL was making inroads into the NFL and wiser heads in both leagues realized that a merger was a wise idea. They announced a merger that would take effect in 1970, but starting in 1967 (after the 1966 season), the champions of both leagues would play an additional game for the football world championship. During the 1967, 1968, and 1969 seasons, NFL and AFL teams would play exhibition games prior to the merger. (By the way, Lombardi always thought the AFL was inferior and would not schedule them for preseason games.)

Hey, I was something like 10-14 years old when all this happened, living 40 miles from Green Bay.

When 1970 came about, the AFL had 10 teams and the NFL had 16 teams. The decision was made to have two equal conferences, the AFC and NFC, and three NFL teams had to join the former AFL teams. The Cleveland Browns (who became the Baltimore Ravens), Baltimore Colts (later the Indianapolis Colts), and the Pittsburgh Steelers agreed to join the AFC -- and I think the other 13 NFL owners had to pony up some money to make the move. I think there were 3 divisions (5 to 6 teams) in each conference at the time.

Since then, six teams have been added to the NFL: Tampa Bay, Seattle, Jacksonville, Carolina, Cleveland (Browns to replace the team that left), and Houston (Texans to replace the Oilers who moved to Nashville). I think that the "records" of the old Cleveland Browns were kept by the new franchise.

Back