High Island to join six man ranks beginning in 2012

Don't feel too bad about the travel. In the late 1990's and early 2000's Apple Springs and Chester were in the same district with High Island and I believed they played Oakwood in non-district. They have made these trips before. They may have to get a little creative with the Middle School schedule but their potential district travel schedule in 2012 isn't going to be any worse than they used to have as the farthest south 11-man football playing school in east Texas.

My advice; load up on private school in the greater Houston and Golden Triangle areas for non-district to save on travel and expenes. Orange Community Christian, Pine Drive (which by-the-way High Island used to play when they were 11-man), Baytown Christian (which by-the-way High Island also used to play when they were 11-man), Mt. Carmel, Alvin Livingstones are all much closer than some of the non district opponents High Island had to play in the past as an 11-man program.

Good luck to Coach Jones, his coaches and the players on this move.

CowboyP":3901s0vn said:
oneday":3901s0vn said:
I also think if some of these schools that are building new stadiums (Blackwell Sterling City and so on) would agree to donate their old stuff to a school looking to start or bring back their football program like a Knippa or a Lingleville...it would help them a great deal and more would decide to play
I have contacted some of the schools that have dropped football asking them to donate their stuff to other schools.
Make sure it's good stuff!
I was at a school 3 yrs ago
that should have thrown all their old stuff away!

Long Lost Friend":39qw9251 said:
Don't feel too bad about the travel. In the late 1990's and early 2000's Apple Springs and Chester were in the same district with High Island and I believed they played Oakwood in non-district. They have made these trips before. They may have to get a little creative with the Middle School schedule but their potential district travel schedule in 2012 isn't going to be any worse than they used to have as the farthest south 11-man football playing school in east Texas.

Prairie Lea plays as the only public school in a San Antonio-area junior high 6 man league (South Texas Football Conference), and I think they've been in that league since it started six or seven years ago. In fact, since I was the idjit who thought up the idea back then (we actually started with Austin and San Antonio schools, but the Austin folks split off later), I know Prarie Lea was at the first meeting AND they also hosted the first year's playoff games.

I gotta think with the number of high schol sixman teams in the Houston and SE Texas area there would be more than enough to duplicate that in that part of the state.

In fact, I got a list of six or seven Catholic grade schools in Houston that started their own sixman junior high league last year. There's also Damon ISD which is an elementary-only district that plays sixman. I have a hunch that there are other elementary (preK-8) private schools in the Houston area that also play the sport.

I think we have something like 20-25 schools/teams in the South Texas Football Conference; they play a large school/small school division format.

Dogface":220r13mc said:
CowboyP":220r13mc said:
oneday":220r13mc said:
I also think if some of these schools that are building new stadiums (Blackwell Sterling City and so on) would agree to donate their old stuff to a school looking to start or bring back their football program like a Knippa or a Lingleville...it would help them a great deal and more would decide to play
I have contacted some of the schools that have dropped football asking them to donate their stuff to other schools.
Make sure it's good stuff!
I was at a school 3 yrs ago
that should have thrown all their old stuff away!
I don't intend to get donated items myself. I'd like to create a list of items to be donated & who has them. Schools needing items will be able to contact me & I can tell them which schools have what they need.
Better yet, if Granger would be willing, an "equipment needed/to be donated" section could be added to the coaches forum.

Back