High Island to join six man ranks beginning in 2012

WOSgrad

11-man fan
High Island AD/HC Jeff Jones confirmed that, on his recommendation, that the High Island ISD authorized Coach Jones to file the necessary paperwork with the UIL to apply as a 6man football team starting in 2012. Coach Jones further confirmed that the UIL has approved High Island's application and will be placed in a UIL district starting in 2012.

So High Island will be the next Southeast Texas school to make the move into 6 man football!

Welcome aboard, the water's fine ...

Perhaps somebody can pass along to the High Island AD that there are a number of private schools (including Orange Community Christian) in Southeast Texas that will make good non-district opponents for High Island and reduce their travel costs.

Their travel cost for district games would be a killer
Buckholts, Calvert ect would that be their closest, depending on division
RS is 400 mile one way
FD is 650 mile one way

I was told by the school Supt that Marfa was to join the 6-man family next year with 93 students turned in. Wink will remain 11-man with 102 students.

westexasflats":1q28puu8 said:
RS is 400 mile one way
FD is 650 mile one way

Apple Springs is 151 miles; Prairie Lea 227 miles.

BTW -- I was talking with somebody in South Texas who was thinking about playing six man (may be on the back burner). Travel was discussed and he figured, assuming that they would play San Antonio area private schools in non-district games and participate in the nearest UIL district (which included Prairie Lea) and have five home and five away games, they would travel something like 1400 miles for football season.

He then looked at their basketball schedule and did the mileage. It was something like 2800 miles, primarily because you play 2 or 3 times as many games.

lifegatesports":23hqrxfk said:
BTW -- I was talking with somebody in South Texas who was thinking about playing six man (may be on the back burner). Travel was discussed and he figured, assuming that they would play San Antonio area private schools in non-district games and participate in the nearest UIL district (which included Prairie Lea) and have five home and five away games, they would travel something like 1400 miles for football season.

He then looked at their basketball schedule and did the mileage. It was something like 2800 miles, primarily because you play 2 or 3 times as many games.
Do you know why they are waiting?

lifegatesports":3pyq9n05 said:
westexasflats":3pyq9n05 said:
RS is 400 mile one way
FD is 650 mile one way

Apple Springs is 151 miles; Prairie Lea 227 miles.

There are several sissy basketball only schools in that area that used to play 6/8 man, like Knippa and Utopia, that would relieve that bind if they were to bring back football.

I also think if some of these schools that are building new stadiums (Blackwell Sterling City and so on) would agree to donate their old stuff to a school looking to start or bring back their football program like a Knippa or a Lingleville...it would help them a great deal and more would decide to play

oneday":3989f5gk said:
I also think if some of these schools that are building new stadiums (Blackwell Sterling City and so on) would agree to donate their old stuff to a school looking to start or bring back their football program like a Knippa or a Lingleville...it would help them a great deal and more would decide to play
I have contacted some of the schools that have dropped football asking them to donate their stuff to other schools.

lifegatesports":eniz7v4p said:
oneday":eniz7v4p said:
I was told that Knippa would probably play six man if others would in that area.

Perhaps we need to get a few sups around there to meet for lunch some day ...
I attempted that last year, but it didn't work out. I'm going to try again soon.

I spoke to Coach Jones just last week and while the commutes during district will be pretty onerous as they will probably be in with the Distict 13-I folks (Apple Springs, Chester, Coolidge, Leverett's Chapel and Oakwood), he is right on the door step of a lot of Houston area schools, both TAPPS and TCAL, that play 6 man. And I am sure that he is touch with Coach Strandberg in Orange to get a game with Community Christian.

WOSgrad":28wt959e said:
I spoke to Coach Jones just last week and while the commutes during district will be pretty onerous as they will probably be in with the Distict 13-I folks (Apple Springs, Chester, Coolidge, Leverett's Chapel and Oakwood), he is right on the door step of a lot of Houston area schools, both TAPPS and TCAL, that play 6 man. And I am sure that he is touch with Coach Strandberg in Orange to get a game with Community Christian.

Tell him to hurry up ... that district with Orange is 8 teams, so they'll only have weeks 0-1-2-3 at most for non-district contests. I realize you can't officially contract in UIL until February, but many TAPPS schools and other private schools are filling schedules now. In fact ours (Seguin Lifegate) is full and we may have to cancel one of our non-district games to accomodate an eighth team in the district. Coach Sanders over at Alvin Living Stones is running a multi-team classic in week 0 or week 1 which would be a great intro to 6 man.

Back