Help Wanted!

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Someone asked me to work up a list and post it of things I have been desperately trying to find but have had no luck in an appeal for help in maybe finding some of this stuff. (note: scores and stats need to be supported by a primary source such as a newspaper article, film, or yearbook contemporary with the subject)

Any help is great appreciated!

My Indiana Jones 6-Man Crusades List
(Things I have looked for but have yet to find)

1. Actual newspaper article about the 1938 Prairie Lea v Martindale game (played in either spring or summer of that year)
2. Find film of the 1975, & 1979 State Championship games. Also looking for a complete film of the 1981 state game (I only have part of it)
3. Missing game scores from State Champions (need at least 1 newspaper article for each):
• 1974 – Nov. 1st District game Marathon v Presidio

4. Finding scores/newspaper articles for 7 games out of the 12 played in the 1936 Fisher County Six-Man Football League between Hobbs, McCaulley, Sylvester and Dowell
5. Getting the 1973 Six/Eight-Man All-State Teams
6. Getting the 1981 Six-Man All-State Teams
7. Programs for all Six-Man State Games
8. Scores for All-Americas Bowl All-Star Games (played 1996-2006). Missing scores for: 1998 games, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
9. Scores for Texas Bowl All-Star Games (played 2007-2012 @ Garden City).
10. Confirmation of scores/missing scores for the TSCA All-Star Games (football and basketball). Must be newspaper article or film supported (not from the TSCA website bc several are mixed up and wrong, probably due to input error…to many errors for them to be reliable on their own and need historical sources for the older ones):
• 1973 Boy’s Basketball
• 1978 Football & Basketball
• 1979 Football & Basketball
• 1980 Boy’s Basketball
• 1981 Football & Basketball
• 1982 Boy’s Basketball
• 1986 Boy’s Basketball, ?Girl’s Basketball?
• 1987 ?Girl’s Basketball?
• 1988 All Scores
• 1989-91 Basketball Scores
• 1992 Boy’s Basketball score
• 1993-2002 All basketball scores

12. Any Fort Hancock stats from 1986-1993
13. 2008 Star films, stats, newspaper articles, Info
14. 1936-1938 Football newspaper articles for Allen HS Football
15. 1949-1952 Film of Christoval HS football
16. Every edition of Tommy Well's Six-Man Illustrated Magazine printed from the early 1990s to late 2000s
17. Issues of Six-Man Magazine, published 1946-1958?

How would you like yoru info. Found on Allen so far.

1937 - Does not appear to be six-man
http://www.newspapers.com/image/56882833/?terms=allen+football

Mckinney Daily Courier August 13th, 1938 - Collin County assured six-man football for smaller schools. Teams listed: Blue Ridge, Allen, Prosper, Murphy, Princeton, Nevada, Chamberville and Josephine.

Mckinney Daily Courier August 30th, 1938 - Collin county league was annouced and scheduled set. Im not typing all that and it blurry.. http://www.newspapers.com/image/58641066/?terms=six-man
Sep 23
Blue Ridge 19 at Murphy 0 Reported 24 Sep 1938 MDCG
Nevada at Josephine
Allen at Prosper
Princeton 37 at Floyd 0 Reported 24 Sep 1938 MDCG

Sept 30
Floyd at Murphy
Princeton at Nevada
Josephine at Allen
Prosper at Blue Ridge

Oct 7
Nevada at Prosper
Murphy at Allen
Blue Ridge at Princeton
Floyd at Josephine

Oct 14
Allen at Blue Ridge
Murphy at Nevada
Josephine at Princeton
Prosper at Floyd

Oct 21
Blue Ridge at Nevada
Floyd 20 at Allen 39 and Played at McKinney HS field
Princeton at Murphy
Prosper at Josephine

Oct 28
Josephine at Blue Ridge
Floyd at Nevada
Allen 29 at Princeton 0 Reported Wed, 2 Nov, MDCG
Murphy at Prosper

Nov 4
Blue Ridge at Floyd
Allen at Nevada
Princeton at Prosper
Josephine a Murphy
Mckinney Daily Courier 12 Aug, 1938
The original meeting to form the league was heald at the courthouse in Mckinney on 12 Aug 1938, Adolphus Richardson, Superintendent of Blue Ridge expected representatives from 8 schools to attend.

Mckinney Daily Courier, Sep 10, 1938 - Article on Floyd and Princeton Joining the Collin County League

Mckinney Daily Courier october 14th, 1938
THREE GAMES IN SIX-MAN GRID LEAGUE FRIDAY - Allen at Blue Ridge, Murphy at Nevada, Josephine at Princeton.. From this article it was considered the Collin County League. Adulphus from Blue ridge was the Director-General of the league...:)

Mckinney Daily Courier 22 Oct 1938
21 Oct 1938 Allen Played Floyd in McKinney, Originally scheduled to be played in Allen but was moved to and sponsered by "Mckinney Band Parent Club". There is also and article in thursdays paper about it. Allen beat Floys 39-20
http://www.newspapers.com/image/58641692/?terms=six-man

1939 - comes up blank. It looks like the papers for Jul-Dec for the Mckinney Daily Courier are missing or not on-line yet

14 Nov 1940, Allen was 6-0 going into the playoff rounds. Form this article Blue Ridge won it all in 1938

Mckinney, Dec 3rd. Allen went 8-0 and was slated to play a six-man game against lubbock on Dec 7 1940.

http://www.newspapers.com/image/58668227/?terms=Allen+six-man

I finally got you some scores.

Allen 39 Southmayd 0
Allen 36 Justin 19
Allen 18 Josephine 15
Allen 42 Westminster 7
Allen 32 Blueridge 6
Allen 39 Floyd 6
Allen 44 Princeton 12
Allen 36 Nevada 18

No Dates

The 6 Man team that Allen Played in Lubbock was Rosevelt High School who were slated the best for that part of Texas at the time, and Allen waned to span out. It was Deemed an Intersectional District Contest. The paper said that Rosevelt high school came to Mckinney at Newsome Field on Saturday Novmber 7th.

The Courier Gazette Mckinney, 9 Dec 1940 Allen beat Rosevelt highschool 30-0

To me the Aug. 30, 1938 article proves that Allen didn't play six-man in 1936 or 1937 as it says:

"...Adolphus Richardson of the Blue Ridge school system, who is Director of the newly organized sports body, Extending over a period of seven weeks the schedule promotes athletic-minded Collinites in every section of the county an opportunity of seeing the new game played in their vicinity."

If these schools, who some played each other in 1936 and 1937, had played six-man the game would not be "new" or a big deal made about people in the county being able to see it.

CT6MFL":ooybeze2 said:
...snip....

The 6 Man team that Allen Played in Lubbock was Rosevelt High School who were slated the best for that part of Texas at the time, and Allen waned to span out. It was Deemed an Intersectional District Contest. The paper said that Rosevelt high school came to Mckinney at Newsome Field on Saturday Novmber 7th.

The Courier Gazette Mckinney, 9 Dec 1940 Allen beat Rosevelt highschool 30-0

Kewl! Another outlaw regional game. Groom did that too.

I did see scores for those teams in 36-37, but none mentioned the term six-man. I did notice in one article that Princeton had been playing football for several years already, no type specified.

It wasn't until 38 that the term six-man hit the Mckinney Courier.

sucks that 39 is missing but maybe soon it'll be there.

You can get better search results, when you use newspapers.com if you go directly to the paper then get more specific in your search.

Isn't this what Marlin and a team from the West got dinged for by the UIL? Because they were sponsoring a non-league state championship for 11-man class B.

CT6MFL":n1v5eqh6 said:

Isn't this what Marlin and a team from the West got dinged for by the UIL? Because they were sponsoring a non-league state championship for 11-man class B.

Yup. It was Anson. In 1926.

Looks like it, If you look at the Collin County League on the map. They actually had a sweet set up.
Except for Justin, they were all within 30 miles of each other.

I know a guy, who knows another guy, who has a cousin who has a copy of Guthrie V Balmorhea game in 1994. I will see if I can get the guy off his butt. Ha

Back