Going for Two

I think you are right as well... I think there would be some 11man teams that would have a higher percentage when going for two that would justify them going for 2.... but I would think those offenses would be the ones that would probably never have the need to go for 2. While conversely, the ones that would need to on a regular basis probably wouldn't have a very high percentage. It is just the risk of the whole thing.... It is an easy thing for a spectator to point to if the coach goes for two and misses. Kicking is usually a much safer bet.... hence why it is safer in 6man to go for two each time.... My take on it is this.... In sixman, you find a kid that can one step punch it through the uprights and go for two each time. In 11man, you go for two when the game dictates going for two. I personally like to take the points I have until late in the game... over the course of a game, you never know what may happen.... so going for two and missing early may put you in jeopardy later in the game. Since in 6man, you kick for two, it is generally much safer going for two each time.

6manobserver":irnznc5m said:
You are right oopty-oop.

I don't know about the history of sixman much. Has it always been worth 2 points to kick in 6-man?

Yes, and FG's were always worth 4 pts.

I wonder how they decided to make it that way. I really do think some 11-man teams would have a much higher percentage of getting the two points than they think they have if they ran it more consistently though.

When I played 8 man very few teams kicked for the EP as it was only worth 1 point and none had a really reliable kicker. I remember most small 11 man schools went for the 2 point conversion also for the same reasons.

My senior year (last year) I believe we were 38-40 on 2-point conversions when we kicked it...There were probably 15 or so times that there was a bad snap so we just went to 1 at that point but we still got the 1 point on about half of those bad snaps.

Back