Frito Pie History

smokeyjoe53

Six-man pro
Taking a page from Old Bearcat......
There are several schools of thought about the origin of the ubiquitous Frito Pie. I subscribe to the Daisy Dean Doolin theory.
I just can't accept that Frito Pie did not originate in Texas.
What are some of the earliest recollections of pie consumption ya'll have?

Frito pie in the old days was made in the bag, chili, no cheese, jpas or onions that I remember, but that was almost 50 years ago.

Some people seem to attribute the origins back to a Woolworth's in Sante Fe in 1960. I agree that the earliest versions I recall were in snipped bags, no cheese or anything else.

Ahhh, a topic I can literally sink my teeth into. My earliest recollections are the Rochelle Concession Stand during football and basketball games baqck in the mid 70's...

Frito-Pie-150x150.jpg
Don't you think this would be an appropriate avatar for FajitaPete?

High Plains Drifter":3kbdee3p said:
Savannah, I have heard that the sausage wrap was invented in Rochelle. Is that correct?
Speaking of sausage (and Frito Pie), Gage's BBQ in San Saba (suburb of Richland Springs and Cherokee) concocted a dish of diced sausage, beans, onions, jalapenos and Fritos. Not bad. Not a Frito Pie but it'll do in a pinch.
Like the avatar change Pete. Now, have you thought about changing your moniker? Frito Bandito is a little trite but I'm sure you could come up with something more original.
Maybe Granger could change the name of this site to allthingsfritopie.com

Sterling City's C-stand was a good one. They used the sweet smelling smoke from the BBQ pit to tease the appetite of the fans. I know I stood about a quarter worth of it then had to abandon my seat for some chow.

I was temped by the burgers they were grilling up but I stayed true to the pie. FYI, King James had a burger and he gave it two thumbs up. I ordered the pie, I got a boat of chips with what might be the best chili this season, I was offered my choice of shredded cheese or nacho cheese, as to the onions and jalapeños, those two were at the self serve tables, I was in heaven.

I think Sterling City C-stand Frito Chili pie is running neck and neck with Loraine’s. Looks like I am finally going to get to taste the Blackwell Frito pie this Friday.

am in Santa Fe and just couldn't resist trying this. I just couldn't go the Sour Cream (why do they put expiration dates on sour cream?) so had them hold that. This is a lot more pricey than your typical pie and really have had better in concession stands. Somethings are better left basic.
TexasDesserts__CowgirlFritoPie_v1_1_-_Version_2.jpg

I like the idea, allthingsfritopie.com

My brother's inlaws live in San Jose, Calif and in the 80's started going to this "Texas-themed" restaurant just to get the frito pie. They liked it so much, they wanted frito pie served at the wedding. I think my brother finally convinced them only to serve it at the rehearsal dinner...

I was VERY disappointed to not find any Frito Pie at the Rochelle-Penelope game in Evant... (sniff), had to settle for a sausage wrap and burger... (which were very good :p )

Back