Forgotten Great Six-man Football Games

Ah yes I was at this game. The Amarillo Globe News did an outstanding job covering sixman during these times. It was a huge deal because it was FE’s first time making the playoffs and winning a district championship. Then upsetting #1 Whitharral in the second round.

They did have a picture on the sports page of when the QB let go of the ball and he was clearly behind it. Im sure the article and picture of it are lost and can’t be found now. Regardless it was a great game to watch!

Ah yes I was at this game. The Amarillo Globe News did an outstanding job covering sixman during these times. It was a huge deal because it was FE’s first time making the playoffs and winning a district championship. Then upsetting #1 Whitharral in the second round.

They did have a picture on the sports page of when the QB let go of the ball and he was clearly behind it. Im sure the article and picture of it are lost and can’t be found now. Regardless it was a great game to watch!

You’re probably right about it being lost. I’d love to see it if it was floating around somewhere, though. I’ll be the first to admit that video I posted isn’t the best footage.

No luck so far, but I did find this interesting article from January 2003 in The Wheeler Times. “Ft. Elliott Shocks Six-Man World”

Last edited:
Winston school of San Antonio beat Town East Christian School 122-120 i believe it was about 2010. I believe at that time it was the highest combined score of any two teams.

Winston school of San Antonio beat Town East Christian School 122-120 i believe it was about 2010. I believe at that time it was the highest combined score of any two teams.

According to the archives, it was in 2011.

I'll work on building something that makes it easier to find the highest and lowest scoring games in the database at some point. I'm wondering how many other games are 220+ points scored, but then I'm also wondering if there have been any 6-0 games scored. Assuming those games are listed in the database, though, we will find out soon enough!

I'll work on building something that makes it easier to find the highest and lowest scoring games in the database at some point. I'm wondering how many other games are 220+ points scored, but then I'm also wondering if there have been any 6-0 games scored. Assuming those games are listed in the database, though, we will find out soon enough!

So just to get a break from other things I've been working on, and also to satisfy my own curiosity, here are a few new pages to the site:

I'm wondering if the 2-0 games were actually forfeits that went in as 2-0 instead of 1-0, or if those were safeties. If anyone knows for sure, before I have a chance to look into them, please let me know and I'll get them fixed.

For those that might not know I run a youtube channel dedicated to preserving and sharing six-man football films (and even have some 8man and 11man films as well).

One topic I always love is the topic of "greatest games" and love asking people about what was the best or greatest game they saw in person. I think most of us who have been around the sport the last 25-30 years can name the best of the best...like the 1996 State "5th Down" Game or the 2001 Richland Springs v Woodson Semi-Final game or the 2003 Semi-Final game when Strawn beat Richland Springs on the final play of the game. All three you can watch on the Six-Man Films youtube channel.

I wanted to post a list of some games that were great but have fallen under the radar so to speak. So here are a few with links to the film for you all to enjoy. Keep checking back as I will post one or two a day.

I will also try to plug that everyone should subscribe to the channel to get updates when more are added and please comment on games you played in or remember or enjoyed watching and learning about that maybe your dad or your coach played in!

1984 Semi-Final Newcastle 63 Abbott 61
Abbott took a 40-14 lead into halftime in complete control. Newcastle rallied in the second half outscoring Abbott 49-21 with the game winner coming with 10 seconds left in the game with a 1-yard TD run by Bruce Bailey and a 1pt conversion via a pass and catch by the Spitzer twins Ty and Todd. Unfortunately, the game film runs out with about 1-minute left in the game…I suspect this might be Abbott’s copy and they recorded over the ending but that’s just my theory. James Benson was the stand out for Abbott scoring 3 rushing TDs, 1 receiving, threw a TD pass, kicked 3 PATs and threw for a 1pt PAT. For Newcastle Ty Spitzer rushed for 208 yards with 1 TD, Todd Spitzer threw for 146 yards with 3 TD passes, Bruce Bailey rushed for 3 TDs and caught another (Abilene Reporter News, 12-2-1984).
1996 state champioship Whitharral vs Gordon Gordon won 51-50

And the not-so-famous Gordon touchdown just before the 5 down touchdown, that was called back because the referee(s) deemed the quarterback past the line scrimmage when he threw the ball.
Luckily there exists an ESPN film showing that the Quarterback was clearly not past the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball on the touchdown that was called back.

Back