Field goal question

crporth2

11-man fan
Anyone remember these plays?

LSU Fake FG Pass Left

LSU Fake FG over the head pass right

6 Man Legal is the question?

I have a great kicker/holder. No one plays FG/XP Safe against them.

We play on 11 man field.
Can we ask to move up 10 yards for one play?
Can we run this and Use the entire field - meaning we cannot score on the 11 man 10 yard line but the actual 11 man goal line?
Thanks
rp

Last edited:
Thanks for reply. Many times we play on 100/120 yard 11 man field vs 80/100 yard 6 man field. The field is adjusted by pylons.

I would ask to move forward 10 yards for a FG/XP since the field is longer on those attempts.

Example on a 100/120 yard field marked down to 80/100 would have Goal line on 10 yards respectively but the Goal Posts can't move. I need to move up for a fair FG attempt since the goal posts are back 20 yards vs legal 10 yards on 6 man field.

I guess I am asking a 2 part question dealing with playing on 100/120 yard fields.
Is there some customary practice or unwritten rule about moving up a FG attempt 10 yards since the goal posts are 10 yards deeper (100/120 yard 11 man field vs 80/100 yards Six man field )?

Now I am talking about faking a FG and I asked to move up. If I don't ask to move up that's a clue or I am a dumb coach(that could work I guess).

This question is has you ever seen this? Moving up for a field goal on a 100/120 field and then its a fake or FIRE Drill(muff snap).

I am now guessing its maybe a local field rule adjustment?

Thanks for asking the first part. I can try it.

Also a great reason why you should not play on an 11man field without moveable goals...also the fact that 6man goal posts arent the same dimensions as 11man

It should be handled like this....2017 playoff game between Tioga and Union Hill. 33:43 time stamp is the play before the FG. If you notice the refs did move the line of scrimmage up 10 yards and also moved the pylons as well back 10 yards to make it the same. That would be the correct way to do this.

Talk to the crew before the games and make sure they know to do this.

Also a great reason why you should not play on an 11man field without moveable goals...also the fact that 6man goal posts arent the same dimensions as 11man

It should be handled like this....2017 playoff game between Tioga and Union Hill. 33:43 time stamp is the play before the FG. If you notice the refs did move the line of scrimmage up 10 yards and also moved the pylons as well back 10 yards to make it the same. That would be the correct way to do this.

Talk to the crew before the games and make sure they know to do this.
Thats what should happen.
Yes, this is legal. I’m not sure I understand your other questions. Why would you be allowed to move up 10 yards?
Because the goal posts are set for 11man not sixman

I would send this question to your state office and get a response in writing. While the solution above seems like a common sense approach, there is no rule support for doing so.

There is a provision in the UIL six man exceptions that allows the game to be played on an 11 man field if a 40x80 field is not available. Goal posts are supposed to be on the end line by rule. So if you can’t have goal posts on the end line, I would argue you don’t have a 40x80 field. So you can play on that 11 man field, but by the letter of the law you have to play the whole field. There is no exception that allows moving the ball.

Moving the ball 10 yards closer to the eleven man goal posts also places the defense at a disadvantage if the field goal try is faked or the attempt is blocked and returned. Also if the defense jumps off sides four or five times in a row, the offense might decide to go for all the marbles. Lol It's Monday morning.

I would send this question to your state office and get a response in writing. While the solution above seems like a common sense approach, there is no rule support for doing so.

There is a provision in the UIL six man exceptions that allows the game to be played on an 11 man field if a 40x80 field is not available. Goal posts are supposed to be on the end line by rule. So if you can’t have goal posts on the end line, I would argue you don’t have a 40x80 field. So you can play on that 11 man field, but by the letter of the law you have to play the whole field. There is no exception that allows moving the ball.
If you will watch the Tioga/Union Hill game, you will notice that on extra points and the field goal that the ball is placed on the 11-man three yard line or the actual yard line. The 40 yard width stays the same. It works great and no one has an advantage on extra point/field goal unless they have it on 40/80 field. The goal post are 10 ft. high but it is the same for both teams. Go to a playoff game East of I-35 and it will probably be on an 11-man field and there are no problem. Did they bring in portable goal post in Abilene? I think the ones at AT&T are dangerous because of the extra bracing that could be ran over on plays in the back of the end zone.

Moving the ball 10 yards closer to the eleven man goal posts also places the defense at a disadvantage if the field goal try is faked or the attempt is blocked and returned. Also if the defense jumps off sides four or five times in a row, the offense might decide to go for all the marbles. Lol It's Monday morning.
We had this situation in the Semi-finals last year. We blocked a FG picked it up in the endzone and returned it back to the +30 on the 11-man field. It took me 5 minutes to convince the ref, that the ball had to be moved forward ten yards to the 20. But finally got it right.

Thank you Leman for allowing me to relive that game again. 😆🥲😭
I remember hearing about it but had never seen the video. Heck of a comeback. I need to go back and count, how many laterals on that last play, 4 - 5? A heartbreaker for sure. This is the game you commented about fumbles in disgust after the game at AT&T.
Nice to see you post again Coach. 1st time in a while, hope all are well. RB

Back