Ejections

burnerman

11-man fan
What is the rule for handling ejections from a game? Specifically if a coach is ejected. Are their any consequences for the next game ? I guess the same question applies to players and does the reason for the ejection have any bearing on the future or just that the ejection happened?

burnerman":3hj5ga60 said:
What is the rule for handling ejections from a game? Specifically if a coach is ejected. Are their any consequences for the next game ? I guess the same question applies to players and does the reason for the ejection have any bearing on the future or just that the ejection happened?

The officials organizations normally inform the leagues of ejections

I know that TAPPS and UIL have procedures in place concerning player and/or coach ejections. From what I understand, if you're ejected (as a coach) at most public schools, you are going to get some quality time in meetings with lots of folks who wear suits at your school (principal, athletic director, superintendent) and the topic of the conversation will not be the implementation of your new "Cover 3" defensive scheme. Friends of mine in public schools tell me that stuff like that gets letters put in your personnel file and makes things a little iffy when the district starts issuing contracts for next year.

In TAPPS, BOTH teams involved in a contest where there is a player or coach ejection are required to report the ejection to the state office the next business day following the ejection. The hint has been given at TAPPS meetings is that you're better reporting it yourself before the ejection report shows up from the officials.

TAPPS also FINES the offending school ... first ejection is $50, second $100, and $50 more each time until you get to $250. If it happens in a state tournament, the fine is $250. Player or coach, you get to sit for the next game. No questions, no appeals, nothing. Just pay the man at the next window and move on. Also, the coach must complete a NFHS course on coaching and modeling behavior (online) BEFORE returning to the sidelines. That's gonna cost you 20 simoleans and an evening of your life.

If your school collects a number of these tickets, you get the oppotunity to bring your administrator and other folks wearing suits up to the TAPPS office where they get to spend some quality time with the Board answering questions on how they monitor their school's athletic program.

Also, TAPPS has something called SCOPE (based on the UIL COPE program). EVERY high school coach at a TAPPS school must complete certain educational requirements, including SCOPE training (which is online at http://www.tapps.net under education). Woe be it to the coach who gets tossed who hadn't done his/her trainng, because I think there are some other nefarious double-secret probation penalities that go to those poor, unwitting souls.

And some schools may have other penalties. I know if I had a coach who was in the habit of taking an early exit from his coaching duties at the request of game officials (ejections), he/she may not be coaching much longer at my school.

Maybe you're just better off THINKING that the ref is an idiot instead of telling it to his face.

Back