DREAM Match Ups

I have to disagree......why as a State Champion, would I want to take a chance on ending my season run with a loss! State Champs should end their season with a win.

Good point Texman. But imagine just a NFC and AFC winner, or the old College Bowl system. Until the early '70s six-man playoffs stopped with Regional Championships. Sounds crazy I know, but wouldn't it be joyous to have a game to determine the absolute best H.S. six-man football team. It would be above what all the 11-man divisions do.

Forget Jerry Jones and the AT&T debacle.
How about a national championship between the perceived best two teams nation wide. Ninety-nine per cent of the games would involve a Texas team, just one. Remember those cross-state six-man games Gordon once put on? Saw some blowouts, saw a couple of good contests. I can still see that epic battle between Mullin, Petey Soliz (last name?) and an incredible lateraling Colorado team. What a game.

kekoa5462":1nqu9qrn said:
I believe they tried something similar to that in the 90's. They called it the Texas Bowl I believe. I don't think it would hurt to try it again.
They did in basketball for a few years after they split 1A into two divisions and called it the Texas Cup, but not football. They split 5A first (1990) and for a few years everyone cried there wasn't a true state champion, then everyone shut up and accepted it wasn't going to happen.
That first year 5A was the only classification with 2 state champs. My other team, Aldine (my wife and kids graduated from there) won half of it and had been the #1 state rated team all year and were the ESPN high school national champs and we couldn't even claim the total state championship. It bothered me for a while, but I'm over it.

BE":1a43vcjh said:
Boys, those days were prior to having split divisions, and it was roundball. This would reunite the clans...sorry, the divisions. That's what men do....
No, it was before the 1A football split, but 1A had split for basketball, and all the other classifications had split for football. The Texas Cup was to do just what you are speaking of, even if it was in basketball, and even if it didn't last but 5 years. And men don't do it if the beloved UIL won't allow it.
And I ain't no boy.

This was tried with basketball and was a disaster. The game was shown to be very uninspired. Tough for a state champ to end the season with a loss....One Division-One Champ is still the best way to prove it all.

Texman301":1zfiqh65 said:
I have to disagree......why as a State Champion, would I want to take a chance on ending my season run with a loss! State Champs should end their season with a win.
If that's a real problem for some
then stress the Exibitional and/or Fundraising nature of the event.
If that doesn't fix it
then with 2 Divisional champs
all you really have is 2 second place teams
if they don't play each other
so a guy still has to live with that.
Why don't we just have as many champs as it takes for everyone to be one?

Not a judgement, just an observation.

So, Dogface2, what you are really saying is, that the Class 2A champion should play the Class 6A champion to see who the real champion is. Is that an accurate statement?

No need for ridiculous. That's not what he is saying.

The point is we were for separating into two divisions, but at the top level of the two divisions the teams are equal. D-2 teams like RS, Calvert, Jonesboro, Balmorhea, Follett, and a couple more can compete against any D-1 team. In fact the first three could possibly win decisively against all the larger teams except BC, Crowell, Valley and Happy. Maybe Knox City and Rochelle should be included. I believe Zephyr and Abbott could be added despite their score vs Calvert. They have been rompin stompin since that game.

Okay, forget the state championship idea. This might be better. Where is it written we have to have six-man extravaganzas on just the first week or two of the season. Imagine a series of six-man shows every week in places like GC, Jayton, Borden County and Zephyr, even Trent. I'm just thinking out loud...brainstorming if you will. Here's a sample idea just to chew on.

Week One: Jayton
Friday: Follett vs Abbott 4:00 Balmorhea vs Rochelle 7:00
Sat. Happy vs Jonesboro 12:00 BC vs Calvert 3:00
Crowell vs RS 6:00

Week Two: Trent
Friday: Balmorhea vs Abbott RS vs Happy
Sat: Follett vs Crowell Jonesboro vs BC
Happy vs Calvert

Week Four: Zephyr
Friday: BC vs RS Calvert vs Ira
Sat: Crowell vs Jonesboro Loraine vs Santa Anna
Valley vs Mt. Calm

Pure fiction of course, but it makes for exciting possibilities. Something like that would be a bonanza for football fans. It would eventually become a part of our six-man culture.
I didn't include the Host teams on the schedules. They would have to be factored in one of those days. Don't like Thursday games, disrupt too much school and practice schedules. Week three would be for a less challenging Home game.
If your going to dream dream big as Texas.

Didn't someone say not to be ridiculous?

Johnny South":3l6wo8sm said:
So, Dogface2, what you are really saying is, that the Class 2A champion should play the Class 6A champion to see who the real champion is. Is that an accurate statement?
No Sir.
Unless they wanted to of course!
I meant the division champs of each Class.
Can't get much clearer.

BE, your idea of top teams playing during the regular season, pre-district is good. But that is already happening. But, remember also BE, there aren't very many coaches who actually want to schedule a genuine slobber-knocker right before district starts, unless they are in a very weak district. And, not even the Guru can tell that far in advance which teams are going to be tops in their divisions in order to fill the schedule . Especially to your approval. An example, just look at Strawn this year. Always a team to be reckoned with, only to turn out to be one of the weaker teams.

And Dogface2, when you match a team from a Div.2 school with 35 in high school with a Div.1 team with 105 in high school, that is exactly what you are saying. Just a little exaggeration.

No Doggie, I will take that back. I have seen the big schools with 35 kids out, large number on varsity,some great athletes, get totally thrashed by a little school with 10 total players. Mainly goes back to coaching.

Johnny, I use those teams because they are top rated or in the top on a yearly basis.
Experienced coaches know who the best teams will be year in and year out. Its no mystery. The best coaches produce the best teams most of the time. Granger knows that, coaches know that...just ask any of them.

Week four is not the week before district. Most districts begin in week seven or eight, week six in rare situations. That provides two or three weeks buffer.

True that some teams don't schedule three tough opponents early in the season. But I think that would change if the top coaches had the opportunity to sit down together and work out their schedules together. Its getting where the top five teams cant get good games, even full schedules any more. They need to cooperate. And if they do six-man will be blessed as a result.

Just an opinion.

Johnny South":3tml9xal said:
No Doggie, I will take that back. I have seen the big schools with 35 kids out, large number on varsity,some great athletes, get totally thrashed by a little school with 10 total players. Mainly goes back to coaching.
You're just all over the place aren't you.

Back to the topic.
I think in most years
the D1 vs D2
would be a competitive game.
jus sayin'.

Back