Division 1 vs Division 2

Butch76

11-man fan
Why don't we create a new class in Texas High School Football? How about Division 1 schools being the 8 man folks why the smaller Division 2 guys sticking with 6 man like days of old? No need for Division 1 schools of 6 man to move to 11 man and get embarrassed as some teams we know have. I'll be the first to say Covington was abused at 11 man. That being said, had there been an 8 man division, would the same have happened? Texas High School Football is not just a thing. It's a huge thing! Our state is plenty big enough to allow for another class when dealing with our football. I'd like to see a serious discussion about bringing an 8 man class to the state. In my opinion, and it's just that, 6 man should be for the smaller schools as it used to be.

I like that idea. I think 8 man would give the kids a little better opportunity to play at the next level. Especially for the big boys who would be lineman in 11man.

I understand. Regardless, there should honestly be a separation between 6 and 11 man. When I was in school the magic number was 75. Should still be the same. If Texas chose to have 8 man I could see 6 man cutoff at 80.....tops! Something does need to change for the sake of 6 man and not for the sake of schools who could play 11 man but instead are Division 1 6 man. This doesn't help the smaller schools at all. 6 man is something to be cherished and not something for prior 11 man schools who have the numbers to still do so dominate a smaller school prominent class. I'm not a mad parent, I'm a 6 man fan on the outside looking in. TRUTH! Let's make a change where change is needed!

Having two divisions doesn't help the smaller schools? Where have you been the last 6-8 years? I am a sixman fan. I want our sport to grow, not fade away because of a lack of schools.

Sorry don't feel the same. 6 man USED to be 6 man and there were only a few schools who qualified. It's a little different now. Grow the sport? The sport is plenty big. No need to have schools who could actually play 11 man slaughter little schools. If you think why not then why not have those bigger schools play 11 man and get slaughtered by bigger 11 man schools? Seriously! There is obvious room for another class, an 8 man class. If you don't think so, you are not a true 6 man fan no ifs ands or buts about it. You just aren't! Hate me if you must. Truth is the Truth!

So you would like to see 3 divisions of sixman? When you try to form an 8-man league with the top third of the sixman divisions, you will have at most 4 districts in the state and the driving time would be prohibitive. Who will these teams play in their non-district schedule? Sixman teams? Elevan man teams? Both? There is a reason the UIL dropped 8-man and kept sixman.

Blue Bird":4elaoj69 said:
There is a reason the UIL dropped 8-man and kept sixman.

Besause when the UI of L made that decision there were 35 8 man schools and ~65 6 man schools. Most of the 8 man schools were growing due to us baby boomers and were headed for 11 man in a few years. The rest were shrinking and were headed for 6 man whether they wanted to or not because of numbers. Heck, Guthrie was one of the original 8 man schools and they dropped football in 1973 due to numbers and came back in 1974 as 6 man.

The coaches association voted to keep 6 man.

I do not think 8 man would be stable in this state. Also, Look at the records of most of the 8 man schools when they went to 11 man. Generally they did no better than the 6 man schools did the first few years.

Jayton 1964 went 7-2-1 then 3 straight losing seasons
Sands in 1960 had 4 losing seasons, and then again in 1968 did not have a winning season until 1982
Garden City went 2-8 in 1976
Forsan went 6-4 in 1966, and had a mixed record the next 3-4 years
Sterling City did OK in its first 3-4 years starting in 1974
Borden County did OK until 1978 and then the wheels came off, same with Dawson
Goree has a couple of bad years in 1974-75 but then did ok after that.

I could go further, but 8 man success is not an indicator of 11 man success.

smokeyjoe53":2b0pwedj said:
What took you so long to reply, Internet down in the frozen tundra?

Swamped by the annual leaf blizzard this morning. Last night #2 son passed his probationary period at the Downer's Grove FD and was pinned.

Butch,
I don't think you've thought this through completely. There are a lot of variables involved but your declaration of
~ "There is obvious room for another class, an 8 man class. If you don't think so, you are not a true 6 man fan no ifs ands or buts about it. You just aren't! Hate me if you must. Truth is the Truth!" ~ is just not very well informed. Personally I do not think an 8man classification is a good idea nor do I think there is room for it. So, in your estimation, I'm not a true sixman fan? That's an interesting point of view for such a newcomer to the board. You'll do well around here.

Back