D1 District 13 for 2020

I would like to discuss the pros and cons of the district just to try and start some football talk. There are quite a few out there that will know more than me about these teams, so please chime in.

Baird: Their first uil six-man district. I did not see Baird play football last year at any level. I did, however, watch their varsity boys play basketball. They were really quick! Quickness can help a team be competitive for a playoff spot. I was told that most of their basketball team were seniors, so I don't know how many will be back for football.

Gorman: Is well coached. Year in and year out their coaching will keep them competitive for a playoff spot. If memory serves, Gorman graduated at least four two way starters. Two of them were the two fastest in the district. They had a solid JV (but not great) that they will have to bring along to fill the gaps left by seniors. I have no doubt that by district they will be ready to compete for a playoff spot. Baird plays in Gorman on the last playing date. It will probably be for a playoff spot.

Lingleville: The good news is that last year Lingleville got themselves a Coach that helped them improve by leaps and bounds. The bad news is that they are still in a district with May and Gorman. Even though they lost two or three boys to graduation, If they improve by another set of leaps and bounds they could be in a position to compete for a playoff spot.

May: Was a physical team last year. The two guys who graduated were probably the least physical on the team. They will be even more physical this year. Their JV was better than average. They played Roby's varsity last year in Roby and beat them by around 30. The problem May will have is with nine seniors on the varsity this year there will be very little room for many of the JV to move up. That could be a problem or a good problem to have. One thing is for sure May will have a world of depth this year. I fully expect them to win this district....again.

Santa Anna: Showed signs of improvement last year. They will have around three boys moving up from Jr. high that are good enough to help their depth. They tended to be able to compete against teams that were not physical, They tended to wilt against a physical team. That is an area that needs improvement to compete for a playoff spot.

Blue Bird":2f0iedse said:
Baird
Gorman
Lingleville
May
Santa Anna

I don’t much about this area or district but I’ll take a guess.

1. May
2a. Baird
2b. Gorman
3. Lingleville
4. Santa Anna

I think Baird will find success in sixman. They usually get a transfer or two from Abilene, which could lead to a lot if success since one guy can dominate in sixman. It also helps that May is the only school in the district that has played sixman for over twenty years. I believe Santa Anna started in 04 and Lingleville and Gorman about five years ago.

I'll make picks just for fun:

Baird
Gorman
May
Santa Anna
Lingleville

My predicted district title game of Gorman v. Baird will be interesting since these two teams were often in the same district in elevenman before Gorman went down to six. I bet they played in other sports given their close proximity to one another.

According to the DCTF, the ranking is May, Baird and Gorman. The information that jumped off the page at me is that Dixon is out as Gorman's HC and Guthrie is in. I don't know if this will make a hill of beans of difference in the long run. But it could!

I was looking at Lingleville's schedule for this year. If they can take that next step up on the improvement ladder, they have both Gorman and Baird at home this year. This could really be the year for them to make the playoffs!

Week 7 will see district play starting for this district.

Baird will be at Santa Anna. SAM has shown quite a lot of improvement between last year and this year. Just look at their record. They know and we know that their strength of schedule is not as strong as it has been in years past, but improvement is still improvement. Baird's record is not nearly so good, but they have played a stronger schedule. Who to pick? I guess I will have to go with the stronger schedule and pick Baird to win. But with SA playing at home and getting used to winning, an upset is a pretty good possibility!

May at Gorman. I have seen both play and Gorman just might be the second best team in this district, but they will have to have some kind of freaky luck just to be in this game for 4 quarters. May going away.

Well, Baird showed up to play last week and is rewarded by having a bye week.

Gorman will rebound against Lingleville and May will have their second home game this year against Santa Anna. Both Gorman and May will win going away.

Gorman and May both won big this last Friday. Next week Lingleville will be in Santa Anna and May will travel to Baird.

In spite SA and Lingleville's records this could be a close game. There one common team that they have played is Moran and they both won. I will take SA at home in this game. I have got to tell you that having a good record against some really weak teams does not give me a lot of confidence in that pick.

I think that May will again win big in Baird.

That chatter I was doing about the second place team in the district...uh.. not so much!! At this point it is very much up for grabs. But I digress.

Week 10 will have SA in Gorman and Baird at Lingleville. Baird and Gorman will both win big to set up next weeks showdown.

Having seen all the teams, except Lingleville this year, I believe Baird will probably take second in the district. I don't believe Gorman can keep up with Baird's speed and mobility. I'm fairly certain the district will be:

May
Baird
Gorman
Santa Anna
Lingleville

I guess that I am a little more wishy-washy than you. I look at Baird and Gorman and see that Gorman has the best defense by a good bit, Baird has the best offense by a good bit. The game will be played in Gorman and I am not sure at all who will win.

Back