Cut Blocks

Did not get a clear explanation but I believe both of these penalties were called in the Ira-MC game tonight. One was Ira in spread formation, up back cut a rusher. Kids were well within in tackle box IMO and where flag was thrown. The other was MC defense cutting the lead blockers numerous times on sweeps it seemed but I believe they called it once. Is this just going to be an iffy call every now and then or will they hammer down on it. Either way I still don’t like them😂

I can tell you, this is a change for officials just as much as players and coaches - we try to get it right every time, but it takes time to adjust and recognize what used to be fine, now is not.

Did not get a clear explanation but I believe both of these penalties were called in the Ira-MC game tonight. One was Ira in spread formation, up back cut a rusher. Kids were well within in tackle box IMO and where flag was thrown. The other was MC defense cutting the lead blockers numerous times on sweeps it seemed but I believe they called it once. Is this just going to be an iffy call every now and then or will they hammer down on it. Either way I still don’t like them😂
For the first one you mentioned, where on the defender's body was the force of the block? The front (10-2 on the clock of his area of concentration) or from the side?

For the first one you mentioned, where on the defender's body was the force of the block? The front (10-2 on the clock of his area of concentration) or from the side?
Was weeks ago but from my recollection seemed to be pretty straight forward. Rushers coming in at blocker and was cut hat on hat so to speak. I understand if it was from side. Just seemed to be head on to me.

Have they ever addressed a player coming in low on a running back going down field? To me that seems more dangerous than cutting a lead blocker. At least the lead blocker sees it coming, but most of the time the running back has another player holding onto him, and then another player comes in low. That can get a kid hurt just as fast.

There is no foul for a cut block on the ballcarrier. What you described would also be a chop block, which is also not illegal against the ballcarrier.

Back