Cut block on XP

SWRaider

Six-man fan
I was always under the assumption you cannot cut on a XP, am I wrong? I had an official tell me last week that a cut block was legal when attempting XP

umm... might want to scratch that guy. He is going to get someone hurt. Surely you did not have a one man crew, did you ask any of the other refs about it?

We need to think about several things, on a scrimmage kick there can be no blocking below the waist. Now, the offense is in a 3 point stance, if the defense runs into a down lineman, its going to be real hard for it not to be below the waist. A muffed snap and it becomes a running play so does blocking below the waist become legal? About The only way for a cut block to be done is by the up back to cut a rushing defender. Add to the problem you have is 4 officials, 2 under the goalpost, 1 on the sideline, and 1 deep behind and to the side of the kicker. I'm thinking what you saw is not as cut and dried as right or wrong.

There may be no blocks below the waist on any play where there is a legal kick or after a change of possession.

Lining up for a try or a punt and not kicking the ball is different, foot must meet leather...

In close line play at the snap, linemen typically are blocking low trying to get leverage and that would not be a foul as in a vast majority of plays the contact initiates above the waist anyway. Like anything, sseeing the action would help a lot to determine if there was actually a foul

Back