Cut Block

barny75070

11-man fan
Have received 3 differing interpretations on where/when a "Cut/Roll (below the knees from a running back) block is legal. We have crews calling outside of the "tackle box" as illegal, and other crews calling all the way to the sideline as legal....Know it can never be directed towards your own end zone, but can't seem to put my finger on it in the rule book...any help would be great...

Blocking Below the Waist
ARTICLE 6. a. Team A prior to a change of team possession: Consider a low-blocking zone seven yards on each side of the snapper extending five yards beyond the neutral zone and back to Team A’s end line (Rule 2-3-7 and Appendix D).
1. The following Team A players may legally block below the waist inside this zone until the ball has left the zone: (a) players on the line of scrimmage completely within this zone and (b) stationary backs who are at least partially inside the tackle box and at least partially inside the frame of the body of the second lineman from the snapper. (A.R. 9-1-6-V)
2. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) while the ball is still in the zone, and all players after the ball has left the zone, are allowed to block below the waist only if the force of the initial contact is from the front, but they may not block below the waist if the force of the initial contact is from the side or back. “From the front” is understood to mean within the clock-face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the player being blocked. (A.R. 9-1-6-I-II, IV, VII-VIII)
3. Once the ball has left the zone a player may not block below the waist toward his own end line. (A.R. 9-1-6-III)
4. Players not covered in paragraph 1 (above) may not block below the waist toward the original position of the ball at the snap.

Fencewire,

Just found this thread after posting lengthy op on another thread. My question is, given these rules, what does TASO try to do to ensure refs down at 6-man level are clear about it? I watched a game a few weeks ago where at least a dozen illegal cuts were visible on the film, not one was called. Neither coach knew the rule either at the time.

Seems like a lot of confusion and and inconsistency. Not looking for a defense, just wondering what the efforst are to help 6-man coaches/refs learn the rule. Got a wide variety of responses on other thread, with only a few knowing the rule you posted here...

I had a long reply typed out but it got lost somehow, so I'll try to make it quick...

It seems easy on paper but with a crew of 2-5 this gets interesting, figure in that most calling 6-man are relatively new and may not understand everything and/or aren't looking in the right location at the right time to make the call and you will have calls missed or fouls called incorrectly.

Training is a 3 way street, the state, the local chapter, but most importantly the individual official. The state/local association can put out material until they are blue but ultimately it is the individual that has to own what he knows/understands.

The easiest and best solution would be to eliminate low blocking after the initial line block like all other states that use NFHS rules, I don't advocate a wholesale switch to FED rules, but even if the NCAA doesn't change the rule again, the UIL could always add an exception.

Ultimately coaches (somewhere) write the rules, NCAA in our case, but there are TX HS coaches that sit on the committee that look at UIL exceptions each year.

What it about buying them books and all they do is eat the covers off? Finding 4 or maybe 5 to cover a game is the goal, being able to see much other than 6 on the field and are 3 of them in the same county is a win in most games. After the game is over you ask is number x moving and the answer is there is no number x. Talk about going to war with a gun and no bullets.

I agree with Fense that training is a three way street. Usually the biggest factor is the inexperiance at the 1a games and it is usually on the individual level to learn this. Also the blocking below the waist rule to me is harder than it used to be. My opinion is it should be allowed only on the interior lineman and nothing more.

But a typical RB in six man would be considered a non restricted player. Meaning while the ball is in the zone he can cut any where as long as it is not a clip by definition. (behind and below the waist). Once the ball leaves the zone he then can only cut a player as long as he is head up the 10 and 2 o clock analogy. he can not cut from side and can not cut back towards the offenses end line.

We use a ton of film in our chapter. We are lucky on that many of our schools send us film including the 1a schools who are on HUDL. We put out a weekly training play list for our guys to review and we share all game film we get across all of our officials. I can tell you that the largest foul we have issues with is once the ball leaves the zone the cut back towards the offense end line. We see a lot at the side and 90% time we seem to get those.

Old thread, but worth revisiting this issue as the rule has changed yet again. The "low blocking zone" has been thrown out, everything now referencing the tackle box. Here's the skinny:

Lineman inside the tacklebox at the snap, as well as stationary backs at least partially in the tackle box at the snap, can block below the waist from the front and the side as long as the blocker and the ball are still inside the tackle box. Once the ball or blocker leaves the tackle box, all blocks below the waist must be from the front (10 to 2 on a clock face).

Players outside the tackle box at the snap cannot block below the waist from the side on the play at all. Additionally, players outside the tackle box at the snap cannot block below the waist back toward the original position of the ball (crackback block) even if it is 10-2. They can go high coming back inside, but they cannot go low. This prohibition ends when the ball cross the neutral zone.

One final rule -- once the ball leaves the tackle box, no player may block below the waist facing his own end line (peelback block).

Stripes":2oaki3lv said:
Old thread, but worth revisiting this issue as the rule has changed yet again. The "low blocking zone" has been thrown out, everything now referencing the tackle box. Here's the skinny:

Lineman inside the tacklebox at the snap, as well as stationary backs at least partially in the tackle box at the snap, can block below the waist from the front and the side as long as the blocker and the ball are still inside the tackle box. Once the ball or blocker leaves the tackle box, all blocks below the waist must be from the front (10 to 2 on a clock face).

Players outside the tackle box at the snap cannot block below the waist from the side on the play at all. Additionally, players outside the tackle box at the snap cannot block below the waist back toward the original position of the ball (crackback block) even if it is 10-2. They can go high coming back inside, but they cannot go low. This prohibition ends when the ball cross the neutral zone.

One final rule -- once the ball leaves the tackle box, no player may block below the waist facing his own end line (peelback block).

How is the "tackle box" defined for 1a, specifically with respect to a back stationary at the snap? What if the end is split? Can a stationary back lined up "covering" the vacant tackle spot be considered unrestricted?

The new BBW rule changes are going to play havoc on 6-man teams and officials.

We are a cut block team with our backs, quarterbacks and centers. We run sweep and we cut on the perimeter with our backs; in our scrimmage this past week we continued to do that and the officials told us that we are fine as long as they don't try to come back into the formation and cut or cut block once the ball carrier is past them.

coachbronk":gpz8za6x said:
We are a cut block team with our backs, quarterbacks and centers. We run sweep and we cut on the perimeter with our backs; in our scrimmage this past week we continued to do that and the officials told us that we are fine as long as they don't try to come back into the formation and cut or cut block once the ball carrier is past them.

That's exactly the way it was interpreted to us as well. The one this I think will get sticky, is the jbird/slot, who lines up on the opposite side of the center and QB. By definition, he lines up outside the tackle box because he has two lineman between him and the center, therefore, he can't cut anyone inside the box at all. Fortunately, we run spread, so we don't have to worry, but it will be interesting for the tight formations, who are heavy cutters.

coachsatcher":2kmnyzj1 said:
coachbronk":2kmnyzj1 said:

That's exactly the way it was interpreted to us as well. The one this I think will get sticky, is the jbird/slot, who lines up on the opposite side of the center and QB. By definition, he lines up outside the tackle box because he has two lineman between him and the center, therefore, he can't cut anyone inside the box at all. Fortunately, we run spread, so we don't have to worry, but it will be interesting for the tight formations, who are heavy cutters.

That was my question as well - the slot back. The new 11-man rules are pretty clear about the slot back, but I have not heard much about how it will be treated in 6-man.

rainjacktx":u6r7i81z said:
coachsatcher":u6r7i81z said:
coachbronk":u6r7i81z said:

That was my question as well - the slot back. The new 11-man rules are pretty clear about the slot back, but I have not heard much about how it will be treated in 6-man.

The way it was explained, is if he lines up outside the second lineman from the center, by rule he's outside the box, regardless if he's called a slot or a tight end. The new rule took away the tight ends ability to cut inside, thus our slot can not cut inside. They may both cut to the outside, but must never turn back in for a cut block. Hopefully i never have to deal with this rule, but that's how it was explained to me.

coachsatcher":2mnldxmt said:
The way it was explained, is if he lines up outside the second lineman from the center, by rule he's outside the box, regardless if he's called a slot or a tight end. The new rule took away the tight ends ability to cut inside, thus our slot can not cut inside. They may both cut to the outside, but must never turn back in for a cut block. Hopefully i never have to deal with this rule, but that's how it was explained to me.

My point being, given that there is no tackle position in 6-man, is the 5-yards either side of the ball rule still going to exist as a guide for who is restricted or not?

I know I'm probably not making myself very clear, but you could have a running back lined up not covering anyone, 5 yards from the ball. Is he still unrestricted?

rainjacktx":8ywv34tc said:
coachsatcher":8ywv34tc said:

My point being, given that there is no tackle position in 6-man, is the 5-yards either side of the ball rule still going to exist as a guide for who is restricted or not?

I know I'm probably not making myself very clear, but you could have a running back lined up not covering anyone, 5 yards from the ball. Is he still unrestricted?

I get your question, and if they're lined up in the spread, the rules really haven't changed. The five yard rule is still in effect. In a traditional j-bird, the second guy from the center is, by definition, the tackle. Which means, anyone outside of him, whether its a slot, or receiver, is not allowed to come inside the box and cut. It also doesn't allow running backs, to run outside the box, and then come back in to cut, which happens every Friday night in 6-man. I'm sure I'm in the minority, bbut I'm glad for the change. I saw too many kids coming back into plays, and throwing a low block on defenders. Too dangerous and I've been complaining about it for a few years. Glad to see someone else realized how dangerous it is.

Put it this way, I just watched a scrimmmage and saw a slot, who is already lined up outside the box, run outside by 4-5 yards, and crack back inside on a lineman, and went low. So illegal it's not funny! Not to mention how dangerous. I'm not opposed to a crack-back block, but go stomach or chest high. Aiming at a knee from the side like this is ridiculous, especially when we were all sent the rule.

coachsatcher":3kuyyrvp said:
I get your question, and if they're lined up in the spread, the rules really haven't changed. The five yard rule is still in effect. In a traditional j-bird, the second guy from the center is, by definition, the tackle. Which means, anyone outside of him, whether its a slot, or receiver, is not allowed to come inside the box and cut. It also doesn't allow running backs, to run outside the box, and then come back in to cut, which happens every Friday night in 6-man. I'm sure I'm in the minority, bbut I'm glad for the change. I saw too many kids coming back into plays, and throwing a low block on defenders. Too dangerous and I've been complaining about it for a few years. Glad to see someone else realized how dangerous it is.

Point of clarification on "it also doesn't allow running backs, to tun outside the box, and then come back in to cut."

Once the ball crosses the neutral zone, there is no prohibition on a player cutting "back toward the original position of the ball" or "inside" or anything like that as long as the cut block is from the front (10-2). So if that back is coming out of the backfield, going wide, and then coming back inside the cut, he's okay as long as the ball has crosses the neutral zone. If the ball is still behind the neutral zone, it's a foul.

Tough to officiate, especially with a 4-man crew.

Back