Covington

ol' gus":gp4ivsce said:
SWRaider":gp4ivsce said:
This may be topic for a different thread, but at what point does loyalty and responsibility mean anything when it comes to situations like these? I don have a dog in the fight and don't know Coach Ware personally and don't know what the situation is or was at Covington.
I am sure Calvert is a big step up from Covington based on the level of athlete at Calvert, but what does this tell the kids at Covington? Especially in a society where a majority of homes are broken homes and boys may only have a few in any influential male figures in their life what does something like this tell them. What message is something like this sending?

Again this if not a personal question toward Coach Ware or any coach that has made a move this late in the summer, but more over a society question and what type a role a coach plays in that society and the impact of young mens lives.
I think this question begs for 25 pages of discussion without mentioning any names. I broached the question of Core Values a while ago and got few responses. I wondered if this was an indication.
What passes for quality coaching these days?
Are there not kids who need quality coaching at every school?
How many coaches have taken a 0-10 team, stayed with them for 5 yrs or more, and played in a final game?
In many cases, coaches aren't given the opportunity to build a program. The school board and/or the parents can't accept that the talent pool is shallow, so they blame the coach for losses. In these situations the coaches are replaced every 1-2 years.

Black or brown or white makes no difference. You can't convince me that a move from Covington to Calvert was for financial benefit or anything else other than to improve a won-loss record.

I was impressed with what Ware had acomplished with the Owls and was looking forward to their continued success.

Mexican Englishman":1ujruf5l said:
You guys are just trying to keep a black man down.
If you're saying Coach Ware is a black guy then I didn't know that, nor does it make a difference in the discussion. So don't try that racist bs. I have a very dark tan myself.
I think some are just wondering when it becomes more important to honor all the "coach speak" than to have an attitude of " at the end of the day I have to do what's right for me" What if the boys all thought like that?
Johnny has a good point.
Cowboy did too, and if Covington did stuff to make his stay unpleasant then shame on Covington. But all things being equal, why can't more guys plant themselves in a good place and coach up a team to success?
What is the criteria that we are using these days to asses Proactive Coaches?
A better question is... what criteria are the Boys using?

Without question it's an unfortunate situation for Covington to loss a coach this late in the summer approaching practice. Especially, a coach in Wayne Ware that was getting that program on track. One point to be made is that I'm pretty sure Covington would have to let him out of his contract at this point for him to accept the Calvert job. But, as stated before Calvart carried on the hiring process for a while also. Which is understandable. They wanted to hire a quality coach to lead this tradition rich program. It looks like for whatever reason it just took longer than expected.

Unfortunately, part of the coaching profession is changing jobs. Whether by your own decision as a coach or the school you work with. If a coach chooses to take another job, it doesn't mean they care any less about the kids he/she has built a relationship with at their previous school. As a coach you still have to do what you feel is in the best interest of your family and career. The timing is bad yes, but the opportunity for Coach Ware at Calvert is one I think few would turn down at any point in time if offered. They have a top ranked state championship caliber team. Realistically, there will be more pressure on him at Calvert than Covington. Hopefully, Covington has a coach on staff or finds a coach within a week to continue what Coach Ware had put into place. Congrats to Coach Ware and I wish him well with the Calvert Trojans. That's a great sixman job!

IMHO There are too many coaches who no longer have family, community priorities, and change jobs like changing their drawers. They say they are looking out for the best interest of their family. I'll bet if you asked their own children that they would prefer staying at their present school, rather than moving every year or two. I believe that they are contributing a share to this "me-me" generation which has gotten such a foothold in this country in the last few years.
Nothing more than a band of Gypsies! No roots, no ties, other than the other Gypsies.
Just what do you think that the players think, unless they are some of the protected, gullible country kids like alot of us are, when one of these drifters comes into the locker room on the first day and says, "Boys, I'm here for the long term. I have found my home. I'm here for you." IMHO

At the end of the day, Covington will replace Ware with his next protégé, Jason Riley, just like tyler sanders he will be very successful.
Riley has been with Ware for 5-7 yrs. Covington will be just fine.

We can all smash the guy for the move he made, but at the end of the day his bills are being paid and everyone will eventually get past this stage.
good luck to coach riley and the Covington Owls and the same for Calvert and Ware.....
Just my 2 cents......

4 schools in 5 years....there is something wrong with that.
No matter who it is and what the 4 schools are there is something wrong with that

Ware getting as much publicity as El Chapo, the Confederate flag, police brutality, triple digits in weather, and Donald Trump.

I bet no other coach takes a job this late after reading this section......
Only if we could've did this 4-5 years ago to keep President Obama out of office.....

As the frozen sound track goes.....
Let it go

Seriously though, if this were me, I'd pull a Bobby Knight and tell all my haters once I'm dead, bury me face down so the haters could kids my @$$........

Or maybe even do a Drake to all my haters...... OVER (by Drake)

Coach Ware is a brother in Christ - no more no less. 'nough said about his person.

As a coach, he is a quality coach. 'nough said.

Quality programs want quality coaches. Quality coaches want to be leading quality programs and WIN, especially a State Championship. (There is no inference to any other program)

If any of us that love sixman and had the opportunity to coach at Calvert, we would jump in a heart beat.

We do not have the list of all the coaches that applied "late in the summer" (I understand that this was put in motion in the spring). Probably would be surprised as to whom would be on that list and would have done the same.

Congratulations Coach Ware!! Calvert will be a force.

The cultural significance of Ware going to Callie
makes perfect sense.
If anyone thinks this gig is gonna be a cakewalk
you better think again.
Challenges abound for this gentleman
and we wish him the best.

I've seen many a coach get fired who was considered loyal. What do they do for their family then? Those who do right are under constant scrutiny by the village idiots, and those who are the used car salesman types always tend to be able to stay. If a coach wants to put himself in a better situation, for whatever reason, he should be allowed to do so. Those naysayers have probably never coached before, been criticized win or loss, or had their spouse have to listen to the fans (those they should be loyal to?) bash their intelligence and ability. The coach's family will always be there, the town folks can always find another DNA scapegoat to blame their losses on.

Everyone would love for a head coach to move into the community and become so invested that leaving is an impossibility. It doesn't happen as much anymore. You can go into a school district that had 8 wins, combined, in a five year period and work your tail off to invest your time and energy in changing the mentality and accept winning as a possibility. Your first year you have a winning record and you're a wonderful human being. Your second year, you have an even better year, and actually become ranked in the top 20 for the first time in 40 years. All of the sudden, winning, and doing it with character, is no longer the goal of the community. Winning at all cost, especially if there son is playing, has become the expectation. You only win a game by 28, but all 18 kids got to play; and you have parents waiting for you in the parking lot, or screaming at you, while they sit next to your 7 year old son. I see people often write that coaches get paid, and they understand the negatives that come with coaching before they took the job. Funny, they forget we have a choice in our employer as well. Why be somewhere and be miserable and put your family through the nightly rituals of biting their tongues while their father/husband gets blasted for holding athletes responsible for sportsmanship and morals. We're not perfect , but most of us have perfect intentions. I have always said, when I take a job, that I will stay as long as my message doesn't fall on deaf ears (or an extenuating circumstance happens). When it's time to move on, it's better to give someone else a chance to lead the program and find somewhere that your message is fresh and needed. Remember, we ridicule coaches who have long-passed their glory days and have just squatted on a job, because the administration doesn't have the heart to let them go. When it's time - it's time. Finally, Covington had the option of holding Coach Ware to his contract. They chose to allow him to leave.

coachsatcher":1ad6hr18 said:
Everyone would love for a head coach to move into the community and become so invested that leaving is an impossibility. It doesn't happen as much anymore. You can go into a school district that had 8 wins, combined, in a five year period and work your tail off to invest your time and energy in changing the mentality and accept winning as a possibility. Your first year you have a winning record and you're a wonderful human being. Your second year, you have an even better year, and actually become ranked in the top 20 for the first time in 40 years. All of the sudden, winning, and doing it with character, is no longer the goal of the community. Winning at all cost, especially if there son is playing, has become the expectation. You only win a game by 28, but all 18 kids got to play; and you have parents waiting for you in the parking lot, or screaming at you, while they sit next to your 7 year old son. I see people often write that coaches get paid, and they understand the negatives that come with coaching before they took the job. Funny, they forget we have a choice in our employer as well. Why be somewhere and be miserable and put your family through the nightly rituals of biting their tongues while their father/husband gets blasted for holding athletes responsible for sportsmanship and morals. We're not perfect , but most of us have perfect intentions. I have always said, when I take a job, that I will stay as long as my message doesn't fall on deaf ears (or an extenuating circumstance happens). When it's time to move on, it's better to give someone else a chance to lead the program and find somewhere that your message is fresh and needed. Remember, we ridicule coaches who have long-passed their glory days and have just squatted on a job, because the administration doesn't have the heart to let them go. When it's time - it's time. Finally, Covington had the option of holding Coach Ware to his contract. They chose to allow him to leave.
This is where we need a picture
of a hammer hitting a nail on the head.

Please allow me to put my two cents on this topic of Wayne Ware "relocating". My son plays for the Covington Owls. He has attended school there since he was in Pre-K and he is in high school. I served a term on the School Board, so I am very well acquainted with our town and the administration. I cannot remember the last time we have had a head coach/ AD stay more than one year. Personally, I think it is very sad. I can tell you that our administration, staff and community have been there for whoever our athletic director has been. When my son finally heard the news coach Ware had left, he was literally heartbroken. He has told me, dad "I just wish a coach would stay more than one year, why do they always leave us?"

For many years Covington has endured new coach after new coach and losing season after losing season. Finally, after last season the kids now believe they are winners and expect to win. If your a coach reading this - I challenge you to think how would your son be affected if he had a new coach every year? The good news is Jason Riley who was the assistant has taken the reigns. He is young, but is a class act and quite sharp from what I have seen. He knows the system and Covington will be a very tough team this year. Not only do I think this group of kids will make the playoffs, I think this will be the season they shock some people and go deep into the playoffs. I've known these kids for many years and I know that they have a burning fire to give it their all. I'm really excited to sit back this season and watch their hard work play out on the field. I believe the adversity they have witnessed and been through, will ultimately propel them to an amazing season! So fasten your seatbelts, there are going to be some fun filled Friday nights and keep your eye out for those high flying Covington Owls.

Best Wishes, Hootie

Back