complete meltdown

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
I had a complete computer meltdown last week, right before going on vacation. It was so bad, I gave my computer to someone else to try and save it... I got it back today and it is fine... for now...

I received a bunch of scheduling e-mails this week or so. I have tried to hammer through most of them today... but have a few to go. If your schedule is wrong, please send me another note, just to make sure.

sorry.

to add insult to injury, I just discovered that in the rebuild, I lost every document and photo I had... I am not sure what I backed up on an external drive, but the last time for that was March at the latest.... I am sick to my stomach. I should know better.

I feel for you.... been there done that .... ( more than once I hate to admit ) I am gonna just have to "Pony Up" and shed the $$$$ for a Carbonite account. Have been putting it off waaaaaaaaaaayyyyy toooooooooo looooooooooooong. Trying to keep 8 or 9 machines backed up is just to big a pain. Especially when the only option is to buy a drive bigger than you have to back it up on ... then if it goes bad and on and on... Raid is still too expensive for me for that many machines and besides 3 are laptops.

PC or Mac crash ?? Any recovery avenues open or was it a reformat and start over job ??

PC... guy said there were some bad sectors. Last night when I was getting things back and mostly checking e-mail, I never noticed. All of the programs are there and working, but the data is gone for the most part. I am guessing it could be found, but I am not sure at what expense. I just keep trying to remind myself that it is just 'stuff'

Guy just called me and thinks he can get the data for me this weekend. I am pretty certain he can too... or maybe I am just delusional by now.

I had just started using the free Dropbox for a few things, but guess I need to take the plunge on Carbonite.

3 years ago the hard drive on my PC died and I thought we had lost everything. The IT guy at work was able to take it and get 99.9% of it back. Everything but what was in the few bad sectors adn of course the boot sectors.

smokeyjoe53":220o9iyo said:
I didn't think Macs every crashed.
JO just create your own personal carbonite. Cheaper and you are in control.

Yep they do - not very often but they do. I have lost 2 since 1981. I have run in excess of 25 Macs in that time.

Too much data to deal with myself. Backing up and keeping current and safe over 5 Terabytes of stuff - a lotta of it just junk that I don't want to part with is just too much trouble.

I am tired of having a backup of my backup of my backup and which one is most current and which isn't. So I'll just pay the bucks to relieve me of the problem...

Part of it is I'm just darned lazy at this point in life.

justobserving":2bv7bqhe said:
Part of it is I'm just darned lazy at this point in life.[/color][/size]

Yeah me too. I am about ready to use the "R" word. Probably would pretty soon if the dang stock market would stabilize a little.

Just got word that the guy thinks he saved it all. We will see. I will get it back this afternoon and I will work like crazy to get everything up the best that I can.

BTW, bought a mini 750GB external drive that was only $49 at Frys this weekend. They had a bigger 2TB for $79 but the mini was only like 112mm long. It basically fits in the palm of your hand. I am moving everything over to that then going to take the Carbonite plunge.

CONGRATS !!

Good things happen to good people .... Sometimes.

Hope everything turns out OK....

This whole backup thing reminds me of a Frank Burns moment in MASH. Frank is temporarily company commander. He is interviewing a native girl for a clothes washing and cleanup job at the camp. Frank ask her after she hands over her documentation - "Do you have papers to prove these are your papers ?"

Same here for me - Do you have a backup for this backup ? and on and on....

From what I can tell, it all seems to be there... except the stuff I was saving in some strange directories... long story, but I think I have learned my lesson.

I will have the spreads up later tonight... I hope

BTW, the guy wouldn't even charge me to find the data. Was sorry he had forgotten to check in the initial recovery (which was cheap). It really makes your day when someone takes such pride in their work.

granger":39ka2zu5 said:
Just got word that the guy thinks he saved it all. We will see. I will get it back this afternoon and I will work like crazy to get everything up the best that I can.

BTW, bought a mini 750GB external drive that was only $49 at Frys this weekend. They had a bigger 2TB for $79 but the mini was only like 112mm long. It basically fits in the palm of your hand. I am moving everything over to that then going to take the Carbonite plunge.

beaware that carbonite will not back up a USB/attached drive, only internals

yes, hoping to get the spreads up ASAP...

all of the files were there, but corrupted and useless... facing depression right now.

Back