Coach Arrested At Sanderson v Marfa Football Game

Actually my first helmet was an army surplus smoke jumper helmet. It was leather and had a full metal mesh face mask. I’d been hounding my dad for a helmet and that was what he came up with. Dad was kinda frugal.........

smokeyjoe53":1mx3xm5n said:
Actually my first helmet was an army surplus smoke jumper helmet. It was leather and had a full metal mesh face mask. I’d been hounding my dad for a helmet and that was what he came up with. Dad was kinda frugal.........

Serious question, since ice hockey helmets have evolved into these massive things that protect players at a level never seen before over the last 20 years, there has been a serious decrease in the amount of respect that hockey players have for their fellow players well being... can the same be said about football? Anyone over the age of 50 will say that when hockey pads were just thick cotton pads and helmets were thin pieces of plastic, players would not take the same liberties as they do today wearing all that plastic armour.

Hockey’s not too big in Texas............. some of our imports are trying to get it going but so far it has not made inroads into rural parts of the state, probably because most of our rural citizens would attack the rink with an ice pick and Yeti cooler.........

True Shot":3oayz9y6 said:
Do I smell hijack??

Not by me, intentionally at least. My jerking the facemask comment was in relation to something a coach did. Because I wasn't paying attention. For some reason the coach possibly throwing a player to the ground to stop a fight, if that happened, made me think of getting my neck wrenched. Why I don't know.

Hijacking dont count until G00ber chimes in. Question was regarding respect or perhaps lack thereof iwth kids having all this fancy equipment... not actually hockey. *sigh*

topher80":33ugu0j7 said:
Hijacking dont count until G00ber chimes in. Question was regarding respect or perhaps lack thereof iwth kids having all this fancy equipment... not actually hockey. *sigh*
Now you’ve really hurt my snowflake feelings....................

And here comes Goob with the logic .. LOL "Don't judge less the be judged" in Goob terms... Thank you for chiming in Goob.. needed that

Goob":1uuig03o said:
Jest how many of yew fellers ever been arrested?

I refuse to answer on grounds that I might incriminate myself.

If I was this coach I'd probably also refuse to say anything further until I talk to my scumbag attorney, that I really need right now. Because both school districts have one, both county DA's are likely involved, and the family of the young man reputedly thrown to the ground likely have one by now.

smokeyjoe53":4bt587td said:
topher80":4bt587td said:
Now you’ve really hurt my snowflake feelings....................

Well, in Texas ya don't have to worry about snowflakes the last few years, not many of them have fell in my part of the state.

51eleven":nq72qmj2 said:
Swept under the rug. Long way for an investigative media team to travel for a 6 man game.

Or there was not enough evidence to convict and/or pass UIL sanctions against the Sanderson Coach. Have you ever heard of a little thing called sovereign immunity? It is a legal term codified by the 11th Amendment and statutory law that states a government employee will be protected from criminal/civil liability if the action is "within the course and scope of their duty." Police officers often invoke this defense when they shoot a suspect.

It always bothered me that public school employees, as agents of the state and subject to other government restrictions such as "the separation of church and state" taken to an extreme, never seem to invoke protection under sovereign immunity. I think it is reasonable to assume that part of a coaches duties involve breaking up fights. Again, maybe the Sanderson Coach made the wrong decision but he used HIS judgement, as a professional in that situation, which remains very hard to second guess. Don't believe me? Go watch the movie Sully.

Although it is possible that the Sanderson Coach acted stupidly, I think the larger issue of whether or not a public school employee can put their hands on a child if it is absolutely necessary needs to be addressed soon. What if a high school boy and a 5th grader got in a fight on a bus? The only chance the 5th grader has is help from another student or the bus driver. If none of the other students help the 5th grader, then the bus driver is in a no way situation; Basically, they decide whether they get sued for touching a student or negligence for not trying to break up the fight.

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I believe in "innocent until proven guilty."

Back