Coach Arrested At Sanderson v Marfa Football Game

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Marfa, TX
By: Leman Saunders
The Sanderson v Marfa football game was ended in the 3rd quarter after an arrest was made of Sanderson head coach David Donnell. The circumstances and details of what led to the arrest are unconfirmed at this time, but I was able to confirm with the Presidio County Sheriff's Office early this morning that one David Donnell was arrested last night, charged with a class A misdemeanor of assault, posted bond, and was released.

KWES Newswest 9 has reported on the incident and has obtained a statement released by Terrell County CISD Superintendent Amanda Magallan:

“The incidents that occurred at the Sanderson v. Marfa football game on Friday, September 7th are unfortunate and embarrassing for both communities and school districts. There were actions by both teams that were unacceptable. The appropriate notifications have been made to UIL and TEA. The district will review the incident. Once all the facts are gathered, a decision regarding necessary actions will be taken. Until that time, and based on what is known now, we support our coaching staff,”

There is cell phone footage of the arrest, taken by a fan in attendance, but nothing of the alleged incident. While I have received several descriptions of the events that occured, Presidio County Sheriff's Office would not comment on any details related to the incident(s) leading up to Donnell's arrest.

Here is a link to the Newscast 9 report this morning
http://www.newswest9.com/story/39051749 ... game-early

My experience on this site leads me to believe that speculation, rumors and third hand (no basis in fact) analysis will potentially thrive on this thread. I sure hope not, at least on this one. It will all be a matter of public record soon enough. To speculate now is to possibly taint innocent parties. As Leman says, lets all wait and get the facts.

Marfa's official statement per superintendent Oscar Aguero:
"Regarding the incident that occurred at Friday night's football game, the safety of our students and staff is our highest priority. The matter has been turned over to UIL and the proper authorities."

While I don't know Coach Donnell at all, his speech and mannerisms remind me of Rex Ryan. Honestly, I am kind of the same way which, in my experience, freaks out police officers sometimes.

For the deputy to arrest him in the middle of the game like that he must have done something really bad. Like, maybe, kicking the water bucket!, or calling the refs “the three blind mice”!, or throwing his clipboard!, or putting a big crackback on the sheriff’s son!

Put your boot's on. It's about to get deep. Maybe nationally. Knocking or throwing an opposing player to the ground to stop a team fight by a HC may not be acceptable to some.

I’ve read the updated article. Very unfortunate events that unfolded. I hope both programs can work around this but it is definitely not a good look for either side. Surprisingly, this head coach has garnered support from many people on the outside looking in.

That is about the stupidist thing that I have ever heard of. This situation should have been handled by school administrators. The grandstanding by the law should have been avoided.

If the game had have been in Sanderson would he have been Immediately arrested ?
If the cop had been the one that pulled him off Under Exactly The Same Circumstances would he be subject to the same scrutiny?
Why arrest right then? Was he going to assault others? Was this Woody Hays reincarnated? Was he going to cross the border and escape? I can’t wait to see this complete video!
Where is Barney Fife when you really need him?
Just asking........

Yeah I’m surprised that the kid needed to be transported to the hospital with all that equipment on. Which team started the fight? I doubt the video will be made available publicly, but I am very curious as to what events took place. Marfa is going to have a tough time getting home games scheduled in the future. That’s for sure.

It doesn't matter which team started it. If the action itself or the arrest was not enough then the ambulance transport and CT was an exclamation point. Whether you or I think it's justified or not public opinion will demand his termination right or wrong. And the school board won't deny it.

Yes I completely agree. My question about who started it was just out of my own curiosity. What’s done is done and the coach will undergo that whole judicial process and definitely be terminated. Curious to see what the UIL will do. I don’t ever recall a situation like this one. It’s very unfortunate and quite disturbing for everyone involved.

As I said in my earlier post, let’s wait until all the facts are in BEFORE making Absolute pronouncements of firing or jail or whatever. Wait until we see the video in its entirety. These early statements that say with certainty that this is Definitely going to happen, or that is going to happen, remind me of last years hubbub regarding the incident with Tioga where people were proclaiming, with Absolute Certainly that the UIL WAS GOING TO DO THIS, OR THE UIL WAS GOING TO DO THAT, none of which happened. If you go back and read some of that hot air now, those prognosticators look pretty foolish. Comment if you wish but let’s see all the evidence and see the film BEFORE making all these unfounded statements.
“it’s best to let the world think that you are a fool, than open your mouth and remove all doubt.”
Just saying.........

I found it odd that Marfa had "a clear image" of the incident on video where Sanderson did not, aren't the two teams recording generally from the same spot? I also found it very odd that he was arrested right then and there on the spot. Lastly, I seem to remember this happening on an episode Friday Night Lights but they tried to arrest a player not the coach after a fight on the field where the game was halted under similar circumstances. Not real I know but very odd all the same and tragic for all parties involved.

wths":193gnjc5 said:
I found it odd that Marfa had "a clear image" of the incident on video where Sanderson did not, aren't the two teams recording generally from the same spot? I also found it very odd that he was arrested right then and there on the spot. Lastly, I seem to remember this happening on an episode Friday Night Lights but they tried to arrest a player not the coach after a fight on the field where the game was halted under similar circumstances. Not real I know but very odd all the same and tragic for all parties involved.

As for the film I am not surprised at all...actually I am a little surprised Marfa had it (or at least some of it it appears) on film. Normally kids are recording the games for the coaches and now days they tend to stop recording immediately after the play stops.

I am curious if they filmed the WHOLE incident from the play to the arrest, as what happened after the players were broke up would be important in understanding somethings.

Back