Cherokee - Boys Coach

"by the way Gata if you don't want to deal with school boards, get a job in 3A up"

Just to let you know, in my career, the 5 schools I have coached at were all 1A 11 man and smaller, and I have yet to have to deal with a committee or a school board during the hiring process EXCEPT for Cherokee. Thats not to say the mutliple interviews I have had with small schools in which there were no committees to be found! Two of those jobs were for Head Coaching Positions! I just know the school board is supposed to back the decision of the principal and supt., not do the interviewing! Its not in their bylaws to do so! All though it does happen, it is wrong and it tells me the Administration has not the spine to do his/her job and puts the responsibility on someone who could in all rights get in trouble for doing that! I just dont think I want to work for someone like that! How do I know they will do their job and back me when certain athletes dont get enough playing time or the like? I know it happens, but it doesn't make it right!

wildwood":2dmhtvwu said:
You, sir, were extremely lucky in choice of schools.

Lucky?
This is my 6th school (in 26 years)

5 schools have been 1A (3 of them 6 man)

I have NEVER interviewed before a committee.

Regardless of what you think, that is the exception rather than the rule.

It may be. In my own experience. It has been about half and half. (6 schools), but that is in Central Texas mostly. Two of them were interviews in front of site based committees not school boards.

hijack.gif

Well, boys, I haven't met the committee yet? I guess that there isn't much interest in old farts like us anymore. Anybody here anything on this here job at Cherokee yet?

Sorry Broadcaster. But many, many small schools care more about the bottom line and will only look at the flat bellies. You maybe a flat belly, but when they look at the experience and what they have to pay you, sayonara. Sad, but age discrimination in education occurs every day.

HPD, so true about age being a natural discriminator in the education business. Actually, I am pretty much a flat belly. I have a little grey (silver) hair but I am told it makes me more wise than I would be if I still had the dark hair. So you think 100K is too much to ask of a rich place like Cherokee? (don't forget I am wise and that is a joke)

We might even truly know each other.

Hey, I also resemble that remark. We were laughing about helmets of days gone by yesterday. You know that the movie Leatherheads is out, I thought it was about Marines, but not so.

You are just bitter and saying those things cause those Tigers fell victim to my free throw curse the other night. Ha

Hmmm, getting a good old Riddell with a new headband two or three sizes too small and having headaches till it stretched to the correct size. Then there was the lovely plastic "neck protector" which caused 30 something folks to get killed and injured badly. Wow, what memories. No water during practice, working out on the band field with no grass just rocks. And last but not least my mother washing my workout stuff, white pants with an old maroon jersey. You talking about pink , but guess fit my personality. Ha

Gee----Such sweet memories, HPD. I can just smell the aroma of the old locker room and feel the smack of the wet towel from the seniors on my--oops can't get too carried away this is a family site. :shock: :p :roll:

High Plains Drifter":wvw9ckxo said:
Hmmm, getting a good old Riddell with a new headband two or three sizes too small and having headaches till it stretched to the correct size. Then there was the lovely plastic "neck protector" which caused 30 something folks to get killed and injured badly. Wow, what memories. No water during practice, working out on the band field with no grass just rocks. And last but not least my mother washing my workout stuff, white pants with an old maroon jersey. You talking about pink , but guess fit my personality. Ha

You boys sound like you're going to go see "Leatherheads" in the movie theater just to find out about the new football equipment that those big city (Duluth) teams are using ...

98d1158920230-kindergartens-oerlikon-zurich-hijack.gif

So you are the culprit!!! I wondered what happened to them!! :shock:

Leatherheads is supposedly about the early days of the NFL and the characters are based upon guys who really existed. I might just have to go see it even if it means seeing George Looney, I mean Clooney....

Old Bearkat":1xpreb0l said:
Leatherheads is supposedly about the early days of the NFL and the characters are based upon guys who really existed. I might just have to go see it even if it means seeing George Looney, I mean Clooney....[/quote]

Actually, the Duluth team that Leatherheads is based on never joined the NFL, but the lead character is based on Johnny Mc Nally, also known as Johnny Blood (he used the fake name to keep college eligibility).

Johnny Blood ended up playing for the Green Bay Packers in the late 20's and early 30's and his name is enshrined on the Ring of Honor at Lambeau Field.

My mama used to tell me stories of her days as a student nurse at St. Mary's in Green Bay, back when the nuns ran the place and the girls lived in dorms at the hospital. Dating was extremely frowned upon, and dating Packer players was even more verboten. Mom told me of the girls who would sneak out to date Johnny Blood and other Packers of the time (around 1934) ... now she said she never did that, but she knew who did ... and I don't think she ratted on them.

Back