Canceled Games questions????

barny75070

11-man fan
Hey all- Certainly don't want to air dirty laundry in this forum, but our program along with several others is continuing to run into scheduling issues this season....

Game scheduled last winter, week of the game getting...."We don't have anyone to call the game from the sidelines, and need to cancel" or "Well, we knew we had double booked, but decided on Monday we would take the other game- good luck finding a game" ...or the ever infamous "We are a little banged up right now, so think we are going to take a week off before District (with a Roster of 14)....then there is "Looks like based on your schedule/record, we are in for a pretty good beat down....maybe we should reschedule for next season"

Or my very favorite...."I am a new coach/AD, etc.... Not sure how they handled this before, but we need a week off"....That was the best one at 4PM on a Thursday....

I guess that we have always tried to keep our commitments...What exactly are these programs teaching the boys that play for them...A commitment is only to be kept if it is convenient?? Our schedules are just suggestions?? In my view, this is an integrity issue at its very core....

We have had to adjust our last 3 opponents as a result of School programs not keeping their commitments and leaving our program to try to find another opponent, and know that at least one of our opponents became available to play as a result of another program backing out of a scheduled game....

Bottom line- if you schedule a game, keep the commitment...if you can't keep the commitment, you shouldn't be in a position of decision making/leadership overseeing your program...

Thank you, and I will now put my soapbox back under the bed where it belongs!!!!

If I am not mistaken if they are UIL schools playing UIL schools, the UIL can hold the other team financially responsible for loss of revenue....Not for certain. If private schools are doing this, nothing can be done.

barny75070":jrhckklf said:
Hey all- Certainly don't want to air dirty laundry in this forum, but our program along with several others is continuing to run into scheduling issues this season....

Game scheduled last winter, week of the game getting...."We don't have anyone to call the game from the sidelines, and need to cancel" or "Well, we knew we had double booked, but decided on Monday we would take the other game- good luck finding a game" ...or the ever infamous "We are a little banged up right now, so think we are going to take a week off before District (with a Roster of 14)....then there is "Looks like based on your schedule/record, we are in for a pretty good beat down....maybe we should reschedule for next season"

Or my very favorite...."I am a new coach/AD, etc.... Not sure how they handled this before, but we need a week off"....That was the best one at 4PM on a Thursday....

I guess that we have always tried to keep our commitments...What exactly are these programs teaching the boys that play for them...A commitment is only to be kept if it is convenient?? Our schedules are just suggestions?? In my view, this is an integrity issue at its very core....

We have had to adjust our last 3 opponents as a result of School programs not keeping their commitments and leaving our program to try to find another opponent, and know that at least one of our opponents became available to play as a result of another program backing out of a scheduled game....

Bottom line- if you schedule a game, keep the commitment...if you can't keep the commitment, you shouldn't be in a position of decision making/leadership overseeing your program...

Thank you, and I will now put my soapbox back under the bed where it belongs!!!!

What is the question you wanted to be answered?

To be honest with you I think these schools need to be publicly identified so everyone can be warned about scheduling them in the future. For example, Alvin Living Stones cancelled on us the week of game 1 for our game with the on Oct 9th. This was our homecoming and they cancelled because they didn't want to get beat up before heading into district. They have the numbers to play. I will not schedule a game with them again.

Part of the problem with private schools, obviously not all of them, there is a lack of professionalism with the coaching staffs because they are part time and don't understand what it means to be a professional coach. I've worked on both sides and there are a lot of great folks who are part and full time, but there are some that just don't get it. This is a hobby for some.

Dirty laundry indeed, but one that should be discussed as one person stated being a professional coach over a part time one who may or may not be a professionally paid coach at the same level shouldn't matter when it comes to scheduling its more than likely a money issue from the organization level.

But there is a difference between the two levels of coaches and one pertains to the brotherhood of coaches while on the field they may do battle off there shall be no such continuation of it, but its fine to call out bad one's if needed , I think all who make the intent operate with true intentions but once the money falls short of operating a sports program a difficult choice has to be made and as bad as it may be if a budget of operating isn't conducted before the season begins then running off a prayer won't make it happen. The business of sports takes away the fun and life benefit's of such operation let's all work to eliminate problems that in turn could hurt all programs.... Just my $100.00 opinion others will have one as well and that's fine because its the one thing we all have, no one has to have the answer this is a message board remember.

Texman301":2j7dpw26 said:
If I am not mistaken if they are UIL schools playing UIL schools, the UIL can hold the other team financially responsible for loss of revenue....Not for certain. If private schools are doing this, nothing can be done.
This.
I've never seen it actually implemented. Maybe it should be more often.

barny75070":1szpf6kq said:
Unfortunately, all have been w/ TAPPS schools...

Unless the rule has changed in the last couple years, TAPPS schools are required to do game contracts for ALL varsity football games (district and non district). The standard form does include a payment for cancelled games.

Doesn't just happen at private schools...have had it happen to me a couple times by public schools. Ive been in their situation before and we seen it through regardless of the outcome. Its a result of the everyone gets a ribbon generation...sometimes the best lesson you can learn is how to face adversity and push forwards but its not something that many people believe in anymore, but thats just my opinion! At the end of the day nothing can be done pre-district unless they signed a game contract and unfortunately that's a practice not many 6man schools do. Only recourse is to not schedule them again.

Here is my two cents.

I have contracts that I send out to schools. I started doing this when at a Tapps school in Heath, Texas four years ago. In Tapps there are contracts on the website you can use and I would assume the same at UIL level. Make up you own contract If your league doesn't have one. I can fax mine over if you need it for a model.

Coach J

Texman301":3qn49jt2 said:

I am wondering how much revenue will be lost in the cancellation - forfeit of the "Cross-River-Rivalry" game between Mullin and Richland Springs. I understand that the Mullin Bulldogs, even though they have almost an equal number of players, forfeited the game here at the last minute. You talk about Henhouse ways! Matter of fact, I think it is pretty chicken-corn to do that.

Texman, if you are correct about the compensation issue, I just hope that the Bulldogs have to write a good-sized check. I had already made plans to attend this one.

Johnny South":wmpice4i said:
Texman301":wmpice4i said:

I am wondering how much revenue will be lost in the cancellation - forfeit of the "Cross-River-Rivalry" game between Mullin and Richland Springs. I understand that the Mullin Bulldogs, even though they have almost an equal number of players, forfeited the game here at the last minute. You talk about Henhouse ways! Matter of fact, I think it is pretty chicken-corn to do that.

Texman, if you are correct about the compensation issue, I just hope that the Bulldogs have to write a good-sized check. I had already made plans to attend this one.

Don't feel too bad for Richland Springs cause if I remember right didn't Richland cancel on Lometa couple years ago because they were "banged up" after they lost to May. Then they picked up a game up later in the week against a week private school.

coachbronk":1vaeif59 said:
To be honest with you I think these schools need to be publicly identified so everyone can be warned about scheduling them in the future. For example, Alvin Living Stones cancelled on us the week of game 1 for our game with the on Oct 9th. This was our homecoming and they cancelled because they didn't want to get beat up before heading into district. They have the numbers to play. I will not schedule a game with them again.

Part of the problem with private schools, obviously not all of them, there is a lack of professionalism with the coaching staffs because they are part time and don't understand what it means to be a professional coach. I've worked on both sides and there are a lot of great folks who are part and full time, but there are some that just don't get it. This is a hobby for some.

Johnny South":3ca8rbzz said:
Texman301":3ca8rbzz said:
I understand that the Mullin Bulldogs... You talk about Henhouse ways! Matter of fact, I think it is pretty chicken-corn to do that.

Don't mention Mullin and Texman in the same sentence. Just sayin'.

Count Coog":3pn8z6g9 said:
I have been told that if you forfeit a district game, that it can make you ineligible for the playoffs. Might need to check a UIL
Oops........
BREAKING CONTRACTS; CANCELING DISTRICT GAMES PROHIBITED.
(1) Schools shall not forfeit any district games in order to play non-district games. Schools in
violation of this provision will be subject to the range of penalties.

Back